Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Joe Dirt's '97 XLT "Shamrock"

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :) I'm going to be rollin' in Shamrock, my new virtually rust-free '97 V8. Since the ad was placed by the previous owner on CriagsList on St. Patrick's Day and purchased the day after, I thought it only fitting to pick that name.

So here are some pics of her just washed, nothing else done... Not bad for what I shelled out for her!

DSCF8113.jpg

DSCF8114.jpg

DSCF8116.jpg

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8115.jpg

DSCF8074.jpg

DSCF8075.jpg

As you can see, she needs to be cleaned right good like... But I'm going to tear everything out, powerwash the carpet, and everything else as I did on Snowball.

Right now current plans are putting on some stock running boards, swapping the blue interior lights to factory green, Dropping in a Pioneer deck, new leather wheel, new(er) rear bumper (dent), maybe black '97 windows, new headlights/fogs, paint the pillar trims, grabbing the rotary to start polishing, and fixing some nitpick things- roof rack, A/C recharge, CV axles... Yada yada...

More to come! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were going to go to the trouble of taking the carpet out I would just buy new and toss the old stuff.

Great looking truck man! Looks real clean!

dam you guys and your v8's! ;) for a 13 year old, the body looks pretty strait, seats look like they never been sat in, and it even has a good arm rest! nice score joe! how many miles on her?

Damn, that truck is in great shape. I can only imagine how clean it will be when your "anality" shifts into high gear. :D

Forgot to ask and maybe I missed it elsewhere, how many miles are on it? (EDIT: I see Tim asked the same question).

92k miles... But, it will soon have 140k since I'm swapping in a green cluster from a 2000 Mounty unless I feel like popping needles and swapping the speedo/odo unit... lol!

And yes, It'll hit high gear. I know y'all remember what happened when I was going to vacuum Snowball... It'll happen again!

Aug02_0007.jpg

As for new carpet- I thought about it but I've never had good luck with new carpet, there always seems to be a fit issue. There are no stains on this one, just dirt. I can steam it for about $10 and an afternoon, and be better off than spending a few hundred... :)

92k miles... But, it will soon have 140k since I'm swapping in a green cluster from a 2000 Mounty unless I feel like popping needles and swapping the speedo/odo unit... lol!

92K is all? Sheesh, you did well. I thought the going rate for a '95 with OHV, lots of rust and assorted ailments (and 50K more miles) is around $5,000 in the Michigan area. That means you paid $1,900 for a truck worth at least $10,000 according to my basic math. :D

Congrats on the new ride! Very good find:thumbsup:

92K is all? Sheesh, you did well. I thought the going rate for a '95 with OHV, lots of rust and assorted ailments (and 50K more miles) is around $5,000 in the Michigan area. That means you paid $1,900 for a truck worth at least $10,000 according to my basic math. :D

And that's not even $1,900 in Canadian dollars! :D (But we're about to be passed by you guys!)

Congrats on the new ride! Very good find:thumbsup:

Thanks Brian

congrads with shamrock

Thanks Sam!

So today I started the process... Ugh...

DSCF8171.jpg

DSCF8173.jpg

DSCF8175.jpg

Before:

DSCF8071b.jpg

After:

DSCF8176.jpg

Before:

DSCF8116b.jpg

After:

DSCF8179.jpg

Did the wiper arms and cowl too...

Before:

DSCF8182.jpg

After:

Jeez that flash makes it looks like chit... It's better than that, I swear!!! :p:

DSCF8183.jpg

She'll get there... ;)

I also put in my electrochromatic mirror and homelink visors tonight... I was busy! :D

So how many green 2nd gens have you seen in parking lots now? :)

Nice looking truck, Joe.

I haven't seen ONE! LOL!!!

Thanks! :D

Ok, So more news today- Snowball is sort of DOA.

The guy decided that a truck that was running great for 3 years needed to have all of the u/l intake gaskets, fuel injector o-rings, everything- replaced. Now it starts, runs for a few minutes, and quits. They can't keep it running. Now it's making "weird noises" as they said.

Why did they f-up a perfectly good truck? Rough idle for 10 seconds sometimes = let's tear everything apart? Nice.

Oh well. I feel bad for Snowball... New tally:
Shamrock 2, Snowball 1.

I even celebrated Shamrock taking the lead with a delicious Shamrock Shake... You know, because it's a Shamrock Shake, and the truck is nam... uh, yeah. Climb off, I thought it was funny. :D

LOL you should set a shamrock shake as your Avatar :D

What ever happened to Snowball anyways? Did I miss something? You sold it?

So I decided to clean my windows tonight. (And some other stuff) ;)

Anyway, Snowball's ghost is back. Anyone figure out what's going on here?

Shamrock 2, Snowball 2.

Dammit!

...and yes, that is a discarded cargo carpet and a mess of paper towels, and yes there is a reason the trash can is in the garage for easy access :p
...and don't say crap about my lily white legs. It's 50* in Michigan, 10* warmer than the temperature that we are encouraged to wear shorts at by the State Government... :D

I wear shorts all year long, yes ALL year lol im HOT blooded...but congrats on the killin you made for Snowball...

Hows the V8 compared to the V6? Ive never even had the honors of sitting in a V8 2nd gen:(

Is the gas mileage much worse?

Ok all, so now that Snowball is gone to the retirement home (heated pole barn up north) :)
:thumbsup:

Ok so Iv'e heard this term (pole barn) a few times from people up north and still dont understand what it is could you break it down for me thanks lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so Iv'e heard this term (pole barn) a few times from people up north and still dont understand what it is could you break it down for me thanks lol.

Heeeeere's Johnny!

CLICK ME

I still think true 'pole barns' are basically roofs over farm equipment, like this- (now people just make them glorified garages...)

pole-barn.jpg

Back