Keeper's Explorer. Take two. | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Time for a manual. There was one down by you that tbars posted a while back

I'd love to get one, but I don't necessarily have the funds or time to do a whole swap. Although I haven't really looked into it to much I'm just trying to get her back on the road before I leave for Texas for a week.

Swap is simple and only takes a couple hours at best. Hardest part is the shifter set up.

Funds on the other hand, yeah, that will stop a freight train cold in it's tracks. :banghead:

Swap is simple and only takes a couple hours at best. Hardest part is the shifter set up.

Funds on the other hand, yeah, that will stop a freight train cold in it's tracks. :banghead:

That's always the main part of my Explorer not getting everything that I wish she could have. Plus I start my new job at 0800 on Monday, so the fastest possible solution within my budget is preferable.

Also finally got the drain plug out, and I did see quite a bit of little debris in the gunk. Lots of shiny specks as well. I've got a buddy who's got much more experience in this area then I do rolling over to my place to help diagnose and figure out whats what. And head to the local pick a part to find the needed parts and help put em in. If any of you kind folks are interested in rolling down tomorrow to help wrench and hang out, by all means any extra hands and insight would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope it all works out for you brother. :salute:

I'd love to get one, but I don't necessarily have the funds or time to do a whole swap. Although I haven't really looked into it to much I'm just trying to get her back on the road before I leave for Texas for a week.

I did mine in about 30 mins:thumbsup:

Sweet. Hopefully all it is is the transfer case, easy swap. And get her running. If all goes to plan, I'll do an oil change and diff flushes too.

Well my buddy showed up and we started tearing into the drive train. My rear diff blew up, open up the carrier and just looks like a grenade went off in there. Gonna have to borrow a car from someone for a while and save up to get everything I need to get this back together. Pics will follow tonight.

I'm trying to figure out how the front wheel locked up? :scratch:

At least you figured it out. If it was me, I would swap in a complete used axle.

Looks like that center pin shindig that holds the LSD together slipped outta the carrier and just went to town on the gears back there.

At this point I'm thinking if I get a car to buy I may just try to save up enough to throw a Detroit locker in the rear, pick up a new 4405(if my current one is shot) and put it all back together. Currently I have her sitting on jack stands with the rear drive shaft off, the jumble of shattered metal pulled out and the housing all cleaned up. Gonna spend some time underneath her cleaning her up and doing some house keeping under there too.

Is it just the internals?

Is it just the internals?

Yea, from what I could see I didn't see any cracks in the housing or anything. I'm gonna get under there tomorrow when it's cooler and really take a more in depth look. The drive shafts survived untouched, so I guess that's some good news. Gonna get the rear diff together first. Then see if things work with my current T-case.

Now, my currently Ring/Pinion is trash, so if the Carrier. Would you all recommend saving up to get a whole new aftermarket carrier and locker (do they sell them pre-built?) or should I look to pick up a decent one from the local Pick-a-part, then build off of that one. Obviously I won't be able to measure the previous gaps and such.

Yea, from what I could see I didn't see any cracks in the housing or anything. I'm gonna get under there tomorrow when it's cooler and really take a more in depth look. The drive shafts survived untouched, so I guess that's some good news. Gonna get the rear diff together first. Then see if things work with my current T-case.

Now, my currently Ring/Pinion is trash, so if the Carrier. Would you all recommend saving up to get a whole new aftermarket carrier and locker (do they sell them pre-built?) or should I look to pick up a decent one from the local Pick-a-part, then build off of that one. Obviously I won't be able to measure the previous gaps and such.

Cheapest and fastest way to get up and running would be to go just pull a whole rear axle. Then just swap it out. Then you can take your time and rebuild that one right. I'd offer the one off your old truck but I know it's bent.

I guess I'll have to go that route, gonna look around and see what I can find. Gotta find a 4.10 rear though. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it isn't very difficult since I've got pretty much everything disconnected at this point? Got brake lines, e brake and sway bars?

I guess I'll have to go that route, gonna look around and see what I can find. Gotta find a 4.10 rear though. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it isn't very difficult since I've got pretty much everything disconnected at this point? Got brake lines, e brake and sway bars?

It's going to be tough finding 4.10. Most are 3.73's

You need to add those pics to our Whoops forum. That's some serious carnage!

Back