Lift Laws | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Laws

Anyone know the rules for CO? 'cause cops in Denver are some mean sob's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any one know the laws in Maine about Lifting a Explorer sport?

This might help you and it might no depending on your state.....I can access every law in TN by going to Tennessee.gov. You can try that for you state and see what you can find. hope that helps.

washington state:
3in body lift
mudflaps must cover 2/3 of the tire
44 inch tires

yeah. it is but is a mud flap considered a lift law? no. if you are lifting a truck you need to follow the other laws as well. my fried got pulled over for having his tires stick out too far and the cop told him to get mud flaps that cover the full width of the tred and two thirds of the height of the tire.

washington is the best! body 3" max suspension wahtever you want. how about 12" suspension 3" body and 38" tires

i am no longer sure of this. i have now read 2 different things in 2 different places.

Washington state or Washington DC.? Because Washington state's lift laws are that you bumper can be no more than 36"s from the ground, but you can put on any size tires you can fit on that.:D

in the link above your post...

Idaho

Lift laws here depend on the GVWR. 4,500 pounds or less, the front bumper can be up to 24 inches and the rear 26 inches. For 4,501 to 7,500 pounds, it's 27 inches in front and 29 out back, and for 7,501 to 10,000 pounds, it's 28 and 30 inches. Interestingly enough, 4x4s and dual-wheel trucks with a 10,000-pound or lighter GVWR can have 30inch-tall bumpers up front and 31 in back.

DC laws?

I went to the inspection station and the guy there swore up and down that the lift laws stated that the bumpers had to be between 16 and 20 inches! And to top that off he said that that meant that the bottom of the bumper can be no higher than 16 inches off the ground and the top can be no taller than 20 inches! He even stood their specially marked yardstick up to my bumper and since it was lowered back to factory height it fit exactly between those measurements. WTF? Anyone know how I can fight this or even better, how I can go over their heads?
And the different info I found on Skyjacker's site said:

"Head Lights
Between 54” to 24”,

Tail Lights & Reflectors
Between 15” and 72” "

Please guys help me out. I lowered my truck down about a month ago and I've still got another month and a half until inspection time. I wanna figure this out so I don't have to go through lowering it and lifting it again every two years. Thanks for the help everybody.

Tennessee law...

29 inches from ground to bumper, and no bodylift over 4 inches. That's it.

thanks man i was always wondering what ours was.

COMMON RAISED VEHICLE VIOLATIONS IN CALIFORNIA

Section (VC) Regulation
5200 / 5202 Front license plate required on all vehicles registered in California.

5201 License Plates:
Rear plate not less than 12 inches or over 60 inches from ground. Front plate not over 60 inches from ground. Must be securely fastened to prevent plate from swinging, clearly visible and legible.

24008.5(a) Frame height limits by vehicle type:
(1) Passenger vehicles, except housecars (includes SUV’s, like the Explorer).
Lowest portion of frame shall not exceed 23 inches above ground.
(2) All other vehicles (includes commercially registered vehicles).
Up to 4,500 pounds GVWR = 27 inches.
4,501 to 7,500 pounds GVWR = 30 inches.
7,500 to 10,000 pounds GVWR = 31 inches.

24008.5(c) Body floor and top of frame:
The lowest portion of the body floor shall not be more than five inches from the top of the frame.

24400 Head lamp height:
Head lights must be mounted at or in front of the front axle. No more than 54 inches and no less than 22 inches above ground. Measured from center of light.

24402(a) Auxiliary driving lights:
No more than two. Mounted no more than 42 inches and no less than 15 inches above ground. Measured from center of light.

24402(b) Auxiliary passing lights:
No more than two. Mounted no more than 42 inches and no less than 24 inches above ground. Measured from center of light.

24403(a)(b) Fog lamps:
No more than two. Mounted no more than 30 inches and no less than 12 inches above ground. Measured from center of light.

24404(a)(b)(c) Spot lamps:
No more than two. Not to exceed 32 candlepower or 30 watts. May not project any glaring light into the eyes of an approaching driver. Cannot project to the left of the vehicle. Beam cannot exceed 300 feet from vehicle.

24405(a) Maximum number of lamps:
No more than four forward facing lights lighted at one time. Dual headlamp system is considered one lamp.

24411 Auxiliary lamps, off highway use (off road lights):
No more than eight. Only used off highway. No more than 12 inches above the top of the passenger compartment, or less than 16 inches from ground, or more than 40 inches to the rear of the driver seat. Shall be wired independently of all other lighting circuits. Shall be covered or hooded on highway, and turned off. Counts as a moving violation and is not correctable (not a “fix-it” ticket).

24600(e) Tail lamps, color and visibility:
Red in color and plainly visible from within 1000 feet to rear of vehicle.

24600(f) Tail lamps, mounting:
Not more than 72 inches, or lower than 15 inches above ground (vehicles manufactured after 1969). Measured from center of light.

24601 Rear license plate light:
White light only. Plate must be legible and clearly visible from distance of 50 feet to the rear. Light must be on same switch as tail lamps.

24603(c) Stop lamps:
No more than 72 inches or less than 15 inches above ground (vehicles manufactured after 1969). Measured from center of light.

24607(a)(c)(d)(f) Rear reflectors:
Must be visible from within 350 to 100 feet at all times. Minimum of one. Vehicles manufactured after 1969 must have two reflectors. Visible from 600 to 100 feet at all times. Mounted with one on left and one on right sides of vehicle, at same level. No more than 60 inches, or lower than 15 inches above ground. Reflectorizing (tape) material may be used in lieu of reflectors required, as long as it meets photometric requirement.

24609(a) Front reflectors:
No more than 60 inches or less than 15 inches above ground.

24616(b)(c) Rear facing auxiliary lamps:
May not project more than 50 feet to rear. Main cone of light must project downward. May only be activated when vehicle is stopped. Vehicle must be equipped with a system that allows activation of lamp only when vehicle is in park.

27150(a) Adequate Muffler:
Shall be equipped with a muffler to prevent any excessive or unusual noise. No cutout, bypass or similar devices.

27512 Exhaust pipes:
Gases from vehicle shall not be directed to the sides between two and 11 feet above ground.

27600 Fenders and mudguards:
Body of vehicle or attachments provide adequate protection to minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear. Mudguards or fenders shall be at least as wide as the tire tread.

35100(a) Total vehicle width:
Total outside width of any vehicle or load shall not exceed 102 inches.

35101 Overall tire width:
The maximum tire width from outside edge of one tire to the outside edge of the other tire is 108 inches.

Don't know if I can add to this section or not, but if you get your vehicle lifted, make sure your headlamps are adjusted downward. My lights (Silverstar?) were shining right in to a deputy's face as he sat in opposing traffic - I'm not deaf, but I can read lips - and he was cursing to the point were it looked like he was about to make a Rodnyking stop. Adjust the headlamps downward.

Thought I would post up the WI laws, found here:
http://nxt.legis.state.wi.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&d=stats&jd=ch. 347

I take no responsibility for accuracy of laws in your area of WI, I am simply posting what I found along with the link.

347.455 Modifications to height of vehicle.

347.455(1)
(1) Except as further provided in this section, no person may operate any vehicle on a highway if modifications have been made to the suspension system, axles or chassis of the vehicle which cause any portion of the vehicle to ride more than 4 inches above the height of the vehicle specified by the manufacturer. The height of the vehicle shall be measured from the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

347.455(2)
(2) If the modification is for the purpose of strengthening or improving handling, modifications may be made to the suspension system, axles or chassis of a 4-wheel drive vehicle or a motor truck which has a gross weight of not more than 8,000 pounds which cause the vehicle to ride 5 or less inches above the height of the vehicle specified by the manufacturer. The height of the vehicle shall be measured from the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

347.455(3)
(3) A 4-wheel drive vehicle or a motor truck which has a gross weight of not more than 8,000 pounds may be modified to use a tire and wheel size which exceeds the wheel and tire size specified by the manufacturer for the vehicle by up to 4 inches in radius.

347.455(4)
(4) No person may operate any vehicle on a highway if modifications have been made to the suspension system, axles, chassis or exhaust system of the vehicle which cause any portion of the vehicle, except the tires, to extend below lines drawn from the bottom of each wheel rim to the points of contact between the tires on the opposite side and opposite end of the vehicle and the level surface on which the vehicle stands.

http://www.legis.nd.gov/cencode/t39c21.pdfND laws:Headlight height-from center of headlamp, no more than 54 inches and no less than 24 inchesTaillights-Hi 72 inches, low 15 inches

max body height-42 inches from ground to cargo area

max bumper-27 inches measured from the ground to the highest point on bottom of bumper, drop bumpers can be used.

max tire diameter- 44 inches

max suspension lift- 4 inches

i asked the local faifax county patrol (VA) and some state troopers that hang around our hotel entrance during late weekend nights about lifted suvs and maximum lift heights (btw, they hang around looking for drunk people coming out of the bar with car keys on their hands..) and you know what they all said? "it's not illegal until you get caught.." lol..

wow i really dont like the michigan laws. basicaly an sas is illegal. rut roh

why? you have 26 inches to play with for frame height, unless your trying to bog on 38's or 40's

Iowa

Just to let every one from Iowa know, the law is as long as the highest point on the vehicle is not taller then 13'6" and the width is not more then 8' then you are good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oregon law is pretty lax. There's a toyota running around with 12" suspension lift and 4" body lift with 44" swampers. Only thing they'll get you for is having tires stick out more than 3" past the fenders without mud flaps. (The toyota I described has Semi (Truck + Trailer, Over The Road Truck, etc.) mud flaps on it.)

Back