Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
The Moab 2015 run will be held May 22- 24 .

As always there will be runs for everyone from stockers to big dawgs. A list of trails will be posted as we get closer to the event. For now please just list the level of trail difficulty that you feel you are comfortable with.

For YOUR safety no one under 18 will be permitted to attend without a Parent or Guardian or a NOTARIZED WAIVER. This is to ensure your ability to get prompt medical care should the need arise.

attachment.php

Diff Whack Daddy - Golden Spike Trail

101mrboylesteelbender4.jpg

mrboyle on Steelbender, Moab 2003

101diffwhackonlaunchpad.jpg

Diff Whack Daddy on the Launch Pad, Moab 2003

101WedgieJefeAir.JPG

Jefe gets a little IFS air in the Wedgie, Moab 2002

101WhiteKnuckleJeep.JPG

Brother of Jefe wishes for a little more wheelbase at White Knuckle Hill, Moab 2004

101Upchuck.JPG

GJarrett & AshliX spending their honeymoon Behind the Rocks, Moab 2004

P5012348.jpg

offroad_69_me on Poison Spider Mesa, Moab 2002

101hvacmanMoabRim.jpg

hvac man on Moab Rim, Moab EJS 2005

16785Airtime.jpg

JTX tries to roll over Behind the Rocks, Moab 2004

Preparation:
The following items are highly recommended and are taken from the "Trail Equipment" article's "Required" list. It is suggested that you read the entire article if you have not already done so. Many other items are suggested and necessary besides the ones on this list.

Do not shortchange yourself and encumber others by coming unprepared.

Required:
> Water, 1 gallon per person per day minimum.
> Cards kept on your person with emergency contact info, medication allergies, insurance, etc.
> Personal supplies for at least twice the time you plan on being out:
If you are going on a morning trip, pack a lunch and trail snacks, beef jerky, fruits, dry/canned food, etc. If you are going on an afternoon or all day trip, assume you may spend the night in the vehicle and pack accordingly: medications, flashlight, batteries, matches/lighter, and blankets & gear appropriate to the environment, area, and season.
> CB Radio: Communications on the trail is key!
> Fire Extinguisher
> First Aid Kit
> Spare Eyeglasses (if needed)
> Spare Key! kept on your person
> Towstrap, at least 20', bare with no metal hooks/brackets attached
> Proper tow points on your vehicle, front and rear. No pulling from trailer balls!
> Full Size Spare Tire, lug wrench
> Standard Bottle Jack with 12" square wooden platform for use in soft ground
> Basic Tool Kit
> Fix-A-Flat and/or Tire Plug kit and air compressor (12 volt plug-in or other)
> Trash bag, for your own as well as other's trash

Lodging and Moab Information:

Canyonlands Campground is centrally located in Moab, yet it has a very secluded feel because of all the mature trees on the property. They have spots for RVs, Tents, and Cabins. This is where many from the forum stay.

Moab Trail Guide:
Charles Wells "Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails". It is an absolutely invaluable resource for the trip and a "must-buy". The book has waypoints that you can program into your GPS for all the big trails and can help you to decide which level of trails to try with your own vehicle.

TRAIL RATINGS (Moab trails are rated thusly; example trails within category are listed with each rating)
1 All weather road; 4WD not needed. (Sand Flats Road)
1.5 Graded road; 4WD may be needed in poor weather. (Onion Creek)
2 Unimproved or rarely graded road. 4WD or extra clearance needed at times, with no special driving skills required. (Chicken Corners)
2.5 Road rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance, low gears (4LO) often needed, with some extra care and a bit of driving experience useful. (Gemini Bridges, Secret Spire)
3 Road in difficult terrain, rarely maintained, 4WD, good clearance and low gears essential, with some driving skill and daring required. (Top of the World)
3.5 Road in difficult terrain, probably maintained only by occasional users. Excellent stock truck or utility vehicle required, with considerable driving skill and daring needed. (Steelbender, Elephant Hill, Fins & Things)
4 Trail either never bladed or badly eroded. Stock vehicles are in jeopardy (read: be prepared to accept body damage). Modifications for improved off-road performance and top driving skills needed. (Metal Masher, Poison Spider Mesa, Hells Revenge)
4+ Trails reserved for those not much concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety. It is common to have 10% or more of the vehicles experience major mechanical failures on these trails. (Golden Spike, Cliffhanger, Moab Rim)
5 Relatively new category reserved for only the most extreme of trails. Don?t even think of running one without a winch, 35? tires, lots of lift, both axles locked, and willing to take major body damage. (Pritchett Canyon)

EXPLORER VEHICLE CATEGORIES
Stock: self explanatory, 4wd with low range - up to 3 rated trails
SuperStock: 1.5" lift; 31" tires, skidplates, LSD (limited slip differential) in rear - up to 3+ rated trails
Modified: 2.5" lift, 32" tires, LSD front and rear OR one locker - up to 4 rated trails
Big Dawg: 4" lift, 33" tires, LSD in one axle AND one locker in the other - 4+ rated trails
Extreme: 5.5+ lift, 35" tires, both axles locked, winch, willing to take major body damage - bring it awn, any trail

---------------

Rick and Char - 2 - Stock to Extreme it's all good :D
Adamsbro2 - 4-6 - Stock - Extreme
Kris Guilbeaux - Modified
NICE59FORDF100 - Modified
MrQ - 1-2 - Modified
reapereviltwin - 1 - Big Dawg
easymc - 1 - Big Dawg
mrboyle - 1 - Anything...
ritsui - 2 - Modified/Supertock
Elgatoprerunner - Extreme
Brian1 - Lead stock plus trail
Tbars4 - Tailgunner..:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you intend on coming please include how many people will be in your group, so we can plan for our Saturday night dinner. Also post the level of your vehicle modifications, per the list in the post above.

I am confirming for myself and kris guilbeaux, Bandit Customs will be in attendance. We will be bringing a newly built rig that will be in the modified catagory (3" lift, 33's)

I'm in and possibly one passenger. Trying to decide on the Dodge or the Explorer for this run. In either case they would be in the "Modified" category.

Are we going to be running any trails that can handle a full size?

Are we going to be running any trails that can handle a full size?

I have no idea since I don't recall ever wheeling any of the trails with a full size... or even seeing them on the trails when we're out there.

I met a Ford Raptor engineer who told me that the Raptor did well on every trail it fit on in Moab, but there weren't a lot. Trouble is she didn't tell me which trails those were:dunno:

Well if I can't Dodge it, I'll Ram it. :)

I'll do everything I can to be there. One for dinner- stock to extreme I don't care

subscribing

Reservations made at the Moab KOA, it will be just two of us, one brother, (Gene) is out of the trip due to medical conditions. Will be arriving on the 21st and leaving the 25th.

Just booked 22nd-24th for Rachel and I. We'll be bringing out mountain bikes, but we'll certainly have time for a few runs. Not to mention some of the bike trails are the same/parallel trails.

- Ex: Modified/4.
- Taco: SuperStock/3.

Sorry for the noob question but do we have to get reservations at a camp site or can we just get a spot on the day of?

Sorry for the noob question but do we have to get reservations at a camp site or can we just get a spot on the day of?

It's better to make a reservation, campsites can fill up fast.

Moab is a very popular tourist destination. Mike is right, it's best to have reservations.

Fyi they are already filling up in several places so I'd get a reservation asap

Bumping this thread up for the new year :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back