Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty71's Elite Registry--'91 Explorer

After saying goodbye to my 1992 Explorer in 2004, i've always wanted to get another 1st gen. Yesterday it actually happened when i took ownership of The Black Goblin, a 1991 Explorer 4x4. :D IT currently has less than 88,000 miles on the odometer, with the original engine and a replaced/rebuilt auto trans.

Here's a list of the modifications that I know of:

I believe it's a 4" rough country lift, with upper shock mount from '78 bronco and limit straps
the rear consists of add-a-leaf and autozone lift shackles
32" mud tires
15" American Racing 8 hole wheels
4:56 gears w/ factory rear trac-lock
open-air filter not currently installed
cherrybomb turbo muffler
big red front bumper and skidplate with 4 light mounts (Sold)
billet grill
aftermarket headunit and 2 subs inbox (subs gone)
center console from 92-94 explorer
CB radio under dash
hi-lift jack

Also, James, the previous owner, has gone through the vehicle and replaced just about every accessory in the engine bay.

COMING SOON:
35" M/Ts
locker (powertrax no-slip in the rear)
new front tube bumper and skidplate
electric driver seat

COMING LATER:
manual hubs
rear bumper w/ tire carrier
fiberglass front fenders (maybe)
deaver leaf springs
BTF cut and turned beams
KMC Enduro wheels
clear corners
...and one day, painted to match my green mountaineer

Here are some pictures the day after i brought it home.

DSC01051.jpg

DSC01050.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

DSC01046.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7% down hill trans in neutral=Big MPG :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Someone answered my add for tires on race-dezert or dezert-rangers...4 almost new 35x12.50/15 mud kings for $250! Not bad at all. :) Might pick them up this weekend.

Well picked up those 35s just now and it was a pretty good deal for what condition the tires are in. I just need a 35" spare now. ....but where to put it? :scratch:

Aussie style...ya maybe. :) TDS sounds fun, but i dont think i'll be able to get away from school work, or even have time to get the tires mounted before then.

...or you could get a basket that has light mounts...;)

...or you could get a basket that has light mounts...;)

Sorry Ted, i think i'll have to pass.;)

On another note, i guess i forgot about the powertrax no-slip in my options for lockers. Since i already have a limited slip in the rear of the explorer, i guess i'll just go with the powertrax for ease of installation, and considering it's the only option i have to avoid setting up the gears again. And then maybe down the road i'll get something for the front.

...you've been pretty quiet...:scratch:...must be doing alot of modding to your X...:D

:D

Actually i have been keeping quiet, but things have changed a bit. I was just waiting till everything was done to post up. But since i'm here i'll mention everything that's changed since i got it.

It started after the Glamis trip when RJ realized how his stock coil buckets had been bending upward and in towards the engine and his coils were like ( ). So upon inspection of mine i noticed mine were starting to show signs of the same thing. So i got hold of those adjustable coil buckets that RJ bought a while ago, since he wouldn't be using them. And i was also having issues with the shocks, the truck was real bouncy on the street and swayed all over, and coming to a stop the front end bounced up and down about 10 times before finally sitting still. So the plan was to add dual shocks to the front. So a friend of a friend of RJ (owner of Awesome Welding, haha) helped us out last weekend and swapped in the new buckets and built some dual shock towers. The original plan was to add a shock in front of the beam and also run one behind similar to stock location, along with a tube over the engine bracing the coil buckets. It ended up mocking the setup of James Duff coil buckets and dual shock system a little, with both shocks behind the coil mounted on the RA. The limit straps were moved down a tad, and both drop brackets were welded up a little as they were beginning to crack where they'd been welded before.

So that is how it sits now. I am waiting on the shocks, i am picking them up tomorrow, 4 12" travel Procomp ES3000s . The truck sits a little higher on the driver side so the passenger coil bucket needs to be adjusted down a little bit.

Along with this there are also a few other tentative plans. I bought some f150 coil seats that haven't been mounted yet (i'm still undecided if i want them on). I also have warrior shackles but i haven't decided if they'll replace the autozone shackles on the explorer, or go on the mountaineer. Also, i'll be getting RJ's superlift leaf springs when his deavers go on soon, to match backend with the height of the front. The 35s i bought will be mounted this weekend also. Eventually i'd like to get the Wildhorse 5.5 springs for both prerunning and rock crawling, and also some new shocks for the rear, maybe resi.

Besides that, i spent a couple days cleaning the truck up, waxing it, removing most of the pinstriping (there's some i just can't get off), and painting the faded B and D pillars a flat olive green. It might sound like a weird color to go with black, but it looks pretty good i think and it's close to the mountaineer. I also removed all of the window tint because it was a CRAP job, and got a new windshield because the old one was cracked in 3 places in Glamis. And last but not least, i'll be trading the billet grill for cybergasm's stock grill, and maybe getting RJ's stock black navajo bumpers if they're cheap enough. :)

I think that's everything...i'll post a couple pictures soon when the tires are mounted and shocks are on.

...i knew something was up..:D...i'll be waiting for the pics...:popcorn:

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! i little over a week to go! i thought you were gonna keep quiet till you show up at t-haven and boom! the little faded glack giblin would be shiny, tall, on 35's and kickin booty! then you'd post it here. oh well :p:

i must say, Matts explorer sure shines! you can see your reflection in it pretty well. and the flat olive/army green is really cool i think :thumbsup:

oh and you can have those bumpers for free.

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! i little over a week to go! i thought you were gonna keep quiet till you show up at t-haven and boom! the little faded glack giblin would be shiny, tall, on 35's and kickin booty! then you'd post it here. oh well :p:

i must say, Matts explorer sure shines! you can see your reflection in it pretty well. and the flat olive/army green is really cool i think :thumbsup:

oh and you can have those bumpers for free.

Honestly, i'm surprised with myself for waiting this long to open my mouth. :p:

And thanks for the free bumpers. My wallet feels a little better. :thumbsup:

Oh ya, i still need to either try to repair/rebuild the trans. case shift motor, or get a new one from a junkyard. Also somehow figure out how to fix the driver window motor so it can go up and down on its own.

maybe friday morning i can pull the motor out of my "spare" door and you can have that and just swap it in your door. that is, if the left side and right side door motors are the same.

Ted - thanks, i forgot about that thread.

RJ - Cool thanks. I'm guessing that spare door is the right pass. from the white explorer? Hey, just for kicks, how hard would it be to swap both of your black explorer's passenger doors for my doors, so i can get rid of that ugly pinstripe? :)

the pinstripe is on my black explorer too. and it wasn't fun taking the door off of exploderpilots, we ended up just cutting the wires to get the door off.

Back