Next Big Bear Run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next Big Bear Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
Big Bear Run

I remmeber a post of someone starting to amke plans for a Big Bear run sometime around Labor day.

The weather up here has been warm, in the mid to upper 80's durring the days and 50's at night. But anyway if there are plans in the making please keep us updated ok?

Thanks and hoping to see some more of the members on another run up here.

The last as you know was really a blast just to few people so I hope this works out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I think Labor Day got vetoed due to the crowds, and switched to the 14-15th. I can't say if that's a definite, though. But it's good for me!

I'd also like to do a prerun between now and then, checking out some trails in the book that I've never done, some of the harder ones? Maybe a one day, keep-moving,-see-as-many-trails-as-possible trip. Jefe? DB? Colin?

Bill I got the TT and shackle lift, but you where right I'll have to get the add a leat too.

By the way they say I will get 1.5 inches with the add a leaf, that combined with the 1.25 could give me 2.75" on all corners, or should I keep the front at or under the 2" mark and lift the rear to the higher figure?

BTW I will have a hand held by then, I really don't want to cut the X.

I think vehicles look better with the back end slightly higher than the front.

Thanks Bill, I was concerned about lifting the fron beyond 2".

BTW will there be trails me my wife and truck can handle?

A little pre-run?

Bill & Bob,

I would like to show my brother-in-law who will be visiting from Michigan what the San Bernardino's look like. If you remember, Adam was with me on the Los Coyotes run the day before my wedding. He's returning, and I promised to take him drinking in T.J. as well as 4 wheeling. So, he arrives on Monday (the 19th of August) and I'd like to run the trails on Wednesday and/or Thursday of next week. Bill are you up for it? Bob, do you want to give some more of these trails a try? I'm ready!:thumbsup:

Ken I've been feeling pretty good, and think it would be a blast. I will probably have to get someone else other than Rachael to get with e, because though she had a good time it mad her nervous. By the way I should have the Add a Leaf on, and the rest of the TT done by then so it might make it easier with a solid 2" lift over last time. Just wish I had the tires you guys have.

Looking forward to seeing you again and meeting your brother in-law, and thanks for the heads up

3B

I may or may not get the Add-a-Leafs and extra 1" or so I might not be able to do the rougher trails. So I have an over all lift of 1.25", but only .75" over our last run. I hope this will be enough to get me where you want to go.

Rachael may not make it, she's a little nervous about the tougher trails, and her arm problems etc.

Plus it turns out I need a new battery and I'm getting a battery with around 800+ cold cranking power battery because of the winters up here, as you can imagine they are not cheap. Which would probably keep me from getting the "Add a Leaf" until next month.
The way I figure it I will go about 2 inches maybe a little over if it looks safe, and 2.5" to 3"in the back. That should help, oh and we are taking the rear anti sway bar off for a while to see how it rides on the highway.

So with this in mind, if you don't think my truck can safely do the trails you have in mind let me know and we'll make plans for a future run that's less difficult, or after I get a little beter lift.

Thanks and best regards
3B

Easy to Moderate in the Morning/Difficult trails after Lunch!

I propose that we run the easier stuff in the morning before we break for lunch. That way, we can still hang together as a crew, and then, we'll run the more difficult stuff after we break for lunch. That way, everyone's need for dirt and rocks will be satisfied with a run. I still would like to do a run on Wednesday if everyone else is up for it...

I hope I can pull off two days of it.

Are you planning on meeting at Fawnskin again?

Fawnskin

I believe that is a great meeting point, if anyone has any other suggestions, let's hear them - I'm serious about a 1 day run on Wednesday if anyone's interested (excluding Bob, since he's mentioned that he's going already)...

Ken we did get about am incn out of of a TT Shacklse lift, I doubt we could keep up with you on the Dishpan Flat spirings area but maybe there maybe something that wouldn't cause body damage.

Hope to seeya then
Bob

Originally posted by RangerX
Well, I think Labor Day got vetoed due to the crowds, and switched to the 14-15th. I can't say if that's a definite, though. But it's good for me!

I'd also like to do a prerun between now and then, checking out some trails in the book that I've never done, some of the harder ones? Maybe a one day, keep-moving,-see-as-many-trails-as-possible trip. Jefe? DB? Colin?
Must wheel, must find rocks. . . :D

Any weekend before the 14-15th is good for me Bill. Name a weekend and I'll be there :)

And yes I'm planning on the 14-15th also. :bounce: :bounce:

An alternate route

You know if people came up the hill through Redlands the trip is much easier the traffic is a whole lot better. Just in case all you would do is get on the 10 at 15 or 215 inter change
Going to Redlands. Get off at University make a left, pass the park on the left and Campus on the right, keep going straight until you reach the second stop sign
Which is Lugonia, and, highway 38.It will have more traffic and you will notice that it is a main street. You'll make a right there. Up the road about 7 or 8 miles

There will be one of two splits in the road. The first is at a Ranger Station you stay to the left. The second is at the split that will either take you to Forrest falls or Big Bear. Stay to the left. At that point you just follow the road up the hill. It's not nearly has heavily traveled and does not have near the amount of hairpin turns. It might be a few miles further from the Riverside, L.A areas but it is a much easier and less traveled road. You will finally get to a point where the road veers left.
The road sign says 45, miles to Big Bear. (It isn't quite that far. That is to the Village.
But from the turn at Lugonia it is very near 40 miles)
You will keep going up hill a less steep and winding road than going up the other side. Anyway you crest the mountain at 84500 feet, and will start down hill about 6 - 7 miles until you reach a split in the road.
There will be a sign that says Big Bear City, Big Bear Lake and Big bear Village to the left. You will go down that road, about one and a half miles to Paradise. Just as you approach paradise the road will widen and you will make a right on Paradise rd.
It will take you to the North side of the lake. Make a left and you will be on the 18 the airport will be on the left after a mile or so. It's less than ten minute from the left turn onto the 18 to Fawnskin. Even on Holiday weekends it's much easier than what we call the front side.

Ken and Bob, I can't make this Wednesday. My truck is going in for an exo-cage that day. :D

The time is near Who is willing and able to make the run.

Some of the trails up here can be challenging you'd probably have a great time so....

Let's Play It By Ear!

Let's take the, "Wait & See" approach to things. I'm definitely serious about 'wheeling on Wednesday. It doesn't matter where - just that I'm out there, getting my truck dusty and dirty - having a great time, showing my brother-in-law from Michigan why so many people are moving to California - because the 'wheeling is so plentiful!

Ken I'm with ya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Must go offroad too!!! I'm still running the 33s and open stock geared diffs. I have my locker and gears in my room right now, waiting for the cash to put them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back