R.J.'s New New Rig

R.J.

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
La Habra Hts, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Bronco II
I'm sorry guys. It's not an RBV. It's not even a Ford. It's a...

1999 Toyota 4runner limited, 4wd with factory rear E-locker.

Bought it back in March with 178k miles on it. It was bone stock. It's slightly modified now.
D378EDE1-C904-4BD3-ABA7-B210E1CA6437.jpeg
8F127915-C9DD-4B6C-ACAF-E54D7C8459A6.jpeg
44E47EB1-50CC-4631-B609-98020A9F1BFD.jpeg
B659268A-47C4-43C5-A70E-E849268222D8.jpeg
E30C20E9-9DBE-46E6-9C68-90770CA21312.jpeg
44EFAC95-EB7A-43CD-8698-9E4C633F16A5.jpeg

Explorer Forum, you guys are my family. This forum is the reason I got into 4wheeling and taught me everything I know. Been a member here since 2006. I started with an Explorer, then a Mazda Navajo, and a Bronco ii after that. I looked into many different cars when I was shopping and I wanted to make it work with a Ford, but the 4runner was the right tool for the job in my price range.

The Bronco ii was a great little rig. Definitely cooler and more unique than this one, and in it's current condition it's a better off roader. But it's very small, old, and underpowered. I drove it as my daily for several years and it worked, but life changes and what I want out of a car changes.

Towards the end of 2017 I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. And I've been dealing with it ever since. God has been good in the whole process and I've still been active and able to wheel and camp and bike ride and jet ski and enjoy life. That being said, since my diagnosis I haven't desired to have a big project car. I'm extremely greatfull that I got to the point that I did with the bronco before I got sick and I have been able to enjoy Wheeling the bronco without really having to work on it for the past few years. But as the bronco sits, it's only about halfway of the build I wanted to do. I planned to swap the engine with a 4.0 and referee it with the state to be smog legal, I wanted to then put 35's on it, a front locker, redo all the suspension so it has more flex and more travel, change the steering etc. etc. But nowadays I don't want to do any of that. I just want a reliable, well mannered 4wd car that I can daily drive, take on long trips, tow a small trailer, and still have good off road capability with great aftermarket off the shelf options (instead of everything being custom) and I wanted it to be 4doors for once. And I wanted to be able to buy it cash. So a 3rd gen 4runner fit the bill. And honestly, having to switch from Ford for my off-roader, I'd rather it be a Toyota than anything else.

This probably won't be a real build thread, but I'll post pictures now and then as it changes. I'm still gonna "build" this rig, but it's not a big, in depth build. Just simple stuff.

And I'll still go on as many trips as I can with EF. I'll be that guy in a Toyota. And hopefully someday I can do another RBV project. But for now this suits my needs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As of right now, I still own the bronco ii. Might do one legendary trail with it before looking for a buyer. That's the plan at lest.

And as of right now, the 4runner is mostly stock. No lift, stock suspension. The tires are Cooper st Maxx in the factory stock 31" tire size (265/70r16). Mostly what I've done to it since buying it is maintenance. Timing belt, water pump, belts, plugs, valve cover gaskets, lower ball joints, rear axle seals. Stuff like that.

Only mods are Method wheels, Sherpa industries roof rack, and Trailgear rock sliders.

I've taken it through the local trails (cleghorn, pilot rock, gold mountain), several camping trips and one trip out to the Grand Canyon. Hopefully a lot more to come.
C6747848-63E8-4452-9FA3-F345C5754E21.jpeg
1A172A1C-612B-4B57-9B0D-CD03F41CD39F.jpeg

Good to see you, brother. Keep up the fight.

I actually really like this generation of 4Runner.

Good to see you, brother. Keep up the fight.

I actually really like this generation of 4Runner.

Thanks man!

I like it too. Coil spring suspension front and rear, 3.4L V6, and a little smaller and lighter than the newer stuff.

They’re very capable. First time I did the Rubicon, my friend took his brand new (3 months old) 99 4 runner through, and it did more than fine. Only mods were a 3” lift and a rear locker.

Good looking 4Runner!

Cool to see you got a Sherpa rack on there! I went to high school with and still chat occasionally with one of the owners of Sherpa!

Oh yeah that's right they're Colorado boys. That's cool. I like it, I'm happy with it. Next time you see them tell them they make a good product 👌

Don't worry, once I wrap up the Navajo, I'll let you drive her again ;)

Having a newer reliable 4x4 definitely has it's perks.

This forum is like a big family
Ya know kinda like the in-laws ...Ya know them but never see them lol

yeah buddy a 4runner! they are awesome rigs
Does that thing have the 3.4L V6 in it?
How many miles? Timing belt, water pump gets done at 90K intervals on the 3.4 engine, easy to do if you catch it soon enough before it stretches
use STOCK parts for that service

I like it! We have Toyota here in our blood also, its okay, the BII will forgive you. Good time to sell the BII they are way up in value! (4 years ago $450 now = $4500)

Nice looking rig. You are definitely welcome to wheel with us no matter what you are driving:chug:

Rock sliders and a locker, I'd say you're Rubicon ready!

RJ, I like 4Runners. That one is the same color as my dad's 1999, just a little bigger and nicer inside. That car went all over the United States with a lot of dirt miles and it still looks great. My brother has it now, if he didn't take I was going to SAS it and give it to Sarah.

You are always welcome anytime and if you need anything, give me a call. I was thinking of you when I decided to sell my spare 4.0, but then remembered you are going to sell the Bronco II.

What you need is a more reliable driver type off-roader and the 4Runner fits the bill nicely. You seem to have your priorities straight, enjoy your life but keep it simple while fighting the good fight. We are here for you.

Thanks guys 🙏

I joined the Toyota world after ditching my bronco. 2005 Lexus gx470 with 140k miles, so far it was a smart choice.

So we both went "bronco" and then went Toyota.

I liked my B2 but it was so small and I got tired of the 2door life. Plus it only got like 15mpg on the highway. From a tiny B2 😔

I love my 4runner so far. Only thing I don't like about it is it has a lot of rust. But that's not it's fault. That's Minnesotas fault.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Super like the silver
33's right at home
I still have my Bronco LOL but that didn't stop my wife from going all Toyota...........215K miles on the FJ cruiser now, tough as nails even on 35's
Interesting note about the yota, we were having issues with the 07 FJ instrument cluster, so I got a used cluster from ebay....now her FJ reads 140K miles???? the miles stay with the cluster????????????????????????????? I never would have guessed

Hope you are doing well!!!

Back