Rearview Camera Problems | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Here´s all you need to know about Forscan re-calibration.

In my case I didn´t have that re-calibration option, I did a module re-set (can´t remember exactly which one was) and that worked. In case you don´t find that exact re-calibration option like the video shows, let me know and I´ll look into it.

Thanks for the feedback. Later research found my part number is an engineering number which then makes a reference to the oem part number.

Just to confirm when you reference programming it that is to the process of using forscan via odbii to run the rear camera callibration correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had the intermittent black screen saying contact dealer or whatever it says when the backup camera would not work, which was probably 80% of the time. Its a 2014 Limited I bought in 2019 and has had this issue from day one of my purchase. I tried tracing wires, checking for codes, new sync updates, taking the camera out and cleaning the connections, which did not look bad at all. I had no codes also. Nothing worked and finally I was just going to roll the dice and put a new camera in, I was not willing to bring it to the dealership and pay especially since I do all my automotive work anyways. But I figured I would try one last idea I had and that was to put a very small amount of copper antiseize on the male pins in the connector, basically by doing this it would make better electrical contact. You only want to put enough on so that it does not smoosh out all over the place and short out the pins. It worked for me. lol. Totally solved my problem, the picture is even better and I actually have a functioning backup camera. I also noticed the connector itself seems tight but there is maybe an 1/8 inch of play in it, to most people this would seem totally fine and probably is when the vehicle and camera are brand new. You could also put a ziptie on the connectors and tighten them together to help. If your camera is bad this will not make it work obviously. I hope this helps, I'm sure this will fix alot of the vehicles with this problem.

Welcome to the Forum Chris.:wave:
Thanks for the tip.

Peter

2013 Ford Explorer XLT, another victim of the backup camera acting weird. At first the image was really bad (a lot of lines), then went black with the message, sometimes the image would come back inverted (I would see the right side where the left is), sometimes it would look ok, without the parking assist lines and if I´m lucky it would work perfect. Took the camera off, cleaned the contacts and connector with contact cleaner, used dielectric grease. Did a reset of the parking module with Forscan (Don´t have the Rear Camera calibration option I see people mention). Camera worked fine for 15 min, after that it worked randomly wrong, it just cycles between black screen with message, image inverted, etc.I believe the module reset did something for a while, meanwhile the clean/grease did nothing. My guess is the camera, if it was the connection it would give only one type of error, not cycle between them. I´ll post my findings or if I find a solution.

We’re you able to find anything? Same issue with my 2013 Explorer Limited. For about year, reverses, goes grainy...then goes out. Then randomly returns. Ordered a replacement on that did not work. Lost my money. Not sure if I should order again from a more reputable buyer and try again. Am confused about the programming that is needed I have read on these threads. Can that be done by me, or does a dealer need to do that? Any guidance from your end?? Thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Wendi. :wave:
Ordering from sites like eBay or Amazon can always be risky. Did you look into returning it to the seller for a refund? You can do the programming if you have and are familiar with FORScan. Otherwise, a dealer can do it by using their IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) tool.

Peter

We’re you able to find anything? Same issue with my 2013 Explorer Limited. For about year, reverses, goes grainy...then goes out. Then randomly returns. Ordered a replacement on that did not work. Lost my money. Not sure if I should order again from a more reputable buyer and try again. Am confused about the programming that is needed I have read on these threads. Can that be done by me, or does a dealer need to do that? Any guidance from your end?? Thanks.

I ended up replacing the camera and did the programming with forscan, the program is free. You would need a laptop and a Bluetooth adapter found in Amazon. For the camera, the best way is to buy one from a online dealer with your Vin# that way you can be sure is the new and updated part, not the same old design you have. Or worse, broken or wrong part.

So, I have a 2015 Explorer XLT 4WD and I am having problems with my backup camera. It is brand new and has the same problem as my old one. It is stuck on the downward view and when I press the + on my screen to switch it, it will not switch to straight back. Any thoughts?

Thanks

So, I have a 2015 Explorer XLT 4WD and I am having problems with my backup camera. It is brand new and has the same problem as my old one. It is stuck on the downward view and when I press the + on my screen to switch it, it will not switch to straight back. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did you have the new camera programmed to your Explorer? I'm not sure if that's the issue but it is something that has to be done. So it is now stuck in the "Zoom" mode, is that right?

Peter

Did you have the new camera programmed to your Explorer? I'm not sure if that's the issue but it is something that has to be done. So it is now stuck in the "Zoom" mode, is that right?

Peter

Yes it's stuck in zoom mode and the body shop that installed it said there is no programming that they can find when they hooked up the computer to it.

If it was that way when they installed it, they should have investigated it a little more since the problem was still there. I don't know if the camera itself controls the change of view or if there is another module. Did you check and verify the camera settings in the menu?

Peter

If it was that way when they installed it, they should have investigated it a little more since the problem was still there. I don't know if the camera itself controls the change of view or if there is another module. Did you check and verify the camera settings in the menu?

Peter
I'll look at that, thanks

Just want to drop my experience here. 2013 Explorer Limited, at about 100,000 miles the backup camera crapped out. I looked around for a cheap replacement on Ebay, Amazon, etc., but never trusted what I was seeing. So I purchased a replacement from fordparts.com. A good bit more expensive, but worth it.
For the record, my truck had DB5T-19G490-AB installed from the factory. The vendor sent me EB5Z-19G490-A. It was a direct, perfect, drop-in replacement. Worked perfectly. No programming necessary. My guidelines are not the "active" type; they're just straight and don't bend with the steering wheel position like some of y'all's. Guidelines appeared 100% the first time I turned the truck on and selected reverse. Image quality is not better or worse than original; as best I can tell it's exactly the same.
Hope this helps future Explorer drivers!

Hey y'all

Haven't posted for a while, mainly because my 2012 Explorer has been behaving itself. Until recently.

Got the dreaded "camera unavailable please contact your dealer" message a few weeks ago, first intermittently now permanently. Battery disconnect fixed it briefly.

Dealer told me this morning $600 to fix and it's not covered by my ESP that I already paid $$$ for. Plus I have to pay for diagnostic time.

Oh, and they want $2,000 to fix an intermittent fault with the front collision sensor.

All this on a vehicle that's less than four years old?!

Crystal, I sent you a PM ...
I am having the same issue.. please tell me too!!

I am having the same issue.. please tell me too!!
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since June 15, 2016. With that message you are getting and the year of your vehicle you will likely need a new camera. It will also have to be programmed to your vehicle.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/sensorsdevices/camera-assy-7874147-1 (this is the one your dealer will probably quote you on)

Peter

2014 Explorer, the back up display is not working. I don't get a message the camera has failed. Ideas?

I was able to fix the problem by disconnecting the battery to reboot the Sync system.

Good to read that you got it working. Hopefully it won't fail again.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rearview camera on our 2011 Ex LTD has failed. Similar symptoms to what everyone has reported on here.
I tried removing it and cleaning the contacts, but no luck.

I'm going to attempt to order a replacement. But I had a question:
When removing the chrome trim piece over the camera and license plate lights (the long chrome piece that has "Explorer" in the middle)
I broke one of the retaining clips. Does anyone know how to find a part number for these clips?

All the diagrams I can find online don't seem to list those clips as a separate part number.

Back