roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice project and writeup. Looks good so far.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well it's been slow but steady, I have about 5 other big projects going on at the same time as the truck. Living at home taking care of my single mother is a project way beyond this one. lol

The latest.......

3M Taped up for primer.
DSCN1426.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

Spraying some quick coats of U-Pol's high build primer out of an aerosol can. I prefer to go the can route because I just can't stand spraying primer out of my gun, it usually gunks it up so bad that I have to take the whole damn thing apart. Getting the settings back the way I like them on the gun takes forever too. We'll see how the rattle can works out.

DSCN1437.jpg

DSCN1438.jpg

DSCN1439.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

Yeah, I know. I should probably be wearing a mask, I did feel pretty dizzy afterwards.

oh yeah EPA is gonna LOVE these photos :rolleyes:

MONMIX said:
oh yeah EPA is gonna LOVE these photos :rolleyes:

The pictures were taken just to show the action, the truck was sprayed in an EPA approved well ventilated paint booth. :confused:

Update 7/18/06. The truck is was base coated and cleared yesterday, on one of the hottest days in NY this year. Not fun! Pics to follow shortly! :)

Ok, as promised although a little late. In somewhat chronological order. I'm happy with the outcome so far.

Here is the truck with the aerosol primer I had used. As I scuffed it down for the base coat the primer was holding very well as you can see by the bleeding white through the gray.
DSCN1870.jpg

DSCN1871.jpg

So I went down to the local body shop and picked up some epoxy primer/sealer, just to make sure we have no issues in the future painting process.
DSCN1878.jpg

And what do you know, 103 degrees, sealer and some really crappy ford factory paint, what do you have, stock base coat lifting after I applied the sealer. I had to wait for it to dry then resand, feather and reseal. Not Fun.
DSCN1879.jpg

DSCN1877.jpg

DSCN1876.jpg

DSCN1875.jpg

DSCN1880.jpg

DSCN1881.jpg

Moving along..........
Finally sealed
DSCN1883.jpg

Base Coat.....
DSCN1885.jpg

DSCN1887.jpg

DSCN1889.jpg

DSCN1891.jpg

Clear Coat Time! - Things start to get pretty.
DSCN1900.jpg

DSCN1896.jpg

Here's so you can get an idea of how much orange peel I got over the course of clearing. I was using a slow hardener with the clear and it was still drying to damn fast.
DSCN1897.jpg

And here is where I currently stand after today 7/26/06.

I have the driver's side body wet sanded and buffed down and almost together.
DSCN1924.jpg

DSCN1926.jpg

Rear Window sealed and back in.
DSCN1930.jpg

DSCN1929.jpg

Started going at the roof, what a b1tch.
DSCN1927.jpg

Door Mouldings riveted back in.....
DSCN1932.jpg

For the hell of it, I've been making it a point to leave nothing old untouched. I've taken the front end apart, radiator, tranny cooler, hinges, airbag modules etc.. do give em a nice fresh coat of paint. What a difference.
DSCN1940.jpg

DSCN1935.jpg

Trunk lock, just finished spraying it. All the black accent parts are flat black.
DSCN1941.jpg

I should have another update within the next week so check it out. Until then Sand ON! I need a beer! :p

Holy damn. I could use a paint job. :(

Look killer. :D

I am coming over!

Thanks for the kind replies, it keeps me motivated :)

Well, small but sweet update. I was a little bored with the body so I went on to something else. Being that the truck has so many black accents, I went changed these up a bit. I think they should look sweet when it's all together.

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

DSCN2052.jpg

Some pics of the rear tires I'm going to try to shove in the wheel well.
DSCN2053.jpg

DSCN2054.jpg

You're not worried about the headlights sucking? :D Explorer lights are bad to begin with.

I think I like the headlights, If you don't, I'll trade my OEM ones for yours.
Did you use vht nightshades, or regular paint?
I am glad you tried it cause Ive been wanting to, just scared. What about the markers?

Looking pretty cool, waiting to see the final product.

section525 said:
You're not worried about the headlights sucking? :D Explorer lights are bad to begin with.

I'm going to go with a set of HID's so we'll see what happens.

jtsmith said:
I think I like the headlights, If you don't, I'll trade my OEM ones for yours.
Did you use vht nightshades, or regular paint?
I am glad you tried it cause Ive been wanting to, just scared. What about the markers?

I used just regular paint. I'll give you the low down on the "how to" once I see how they work with the stock head light bulbs. It's a fairly easy process just a little aggravating.

Awesome buildup! keep pushing on, I can't wait to see this finished.

Wow this is just amazing. Keep it up!

Back