roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

56kbps?? get a drink.......

UPDATE..... I had a day off of work so I was able to make some headway...

As you guessed it, painting the headlights black had an ill effect on the beam so I was able to get a set of HIDs in which are a lot brighter and also a lot sexier..

IMG_0163.jpg

I finished up the roof (what a B!@#TCH), although I didn't really like the roof rack. Oh well....

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

Got bored so I threw on my logo in some inconspicous spot.

IMG_0156.jpg

Some more pics for the visual....

Painted corner lights...
IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

Yellow Fogs
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

Suede arm rest, some gauges and painted radio bezel
IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

I was also able to finish off the passenger side rear quarter as well as the door jams. Got the window in as well.

IMG_0152.jpg

Driver side rear door finito
IMG_0139.jpg

Passenger rear .25
IMG_0137.jpg

The roof earlier this morning.

IMG_0136.jpg

And that's about it till next weekend

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

rocco.. you're nuts. :p: You know you can never sell this thing now, right? No ones gonna give you $30k for an old Explorer! :D

But it looks insanely nice!!!

Beautiful, very nice work!

What I love about this is that you did it right. No cutting corners, no rushing, no anything like that. I have all the respect in the world for this level of meticulousness.

rocco.. you're nuts. :p: You know you can never sell this thing now, right? No ones gonna give you $30k for an old Explorer! :D

But it looks insanely nice!!!

:D HAHA

I can't thank you guys enough for all the kind words. It keeps me motivated to finish this project!

Yeah-
what they said-
Can my truck come live with you for a while?:D

It's going to have to spend about three years over in good ole hopewell junction with my procrastinating ass! :confused:

Ditto, I'll look at the headlights and turn signals when I get to the paint work also.

Here's one, just doesn't have the corner lights on...

SANY0165.jpg

I believe these were in an earlier page but you get the idea. I'll have to snap a pic with the lights off with the corner lights in

DSCN2052.jpg

DSCN2045.jpg

DSCN2046.jpg

The fogs are blacked out as well, although the light is effected as well. The only downfall........ To be honest I can't say that I'm going to have enough light during the night because I haven't had a chance to try them yet......

I actually got the idea from my IS300. The only thing better was the headlights on that car had a separate piece where the bulb was so you could keep that chrome, better light reflection. Although on the mounty, it's just one piece. Maybe you could mask out some round scheme for light reflection although it might look a little funny.

DSCN1565.jpg

You can see to the right of the headlight housing what I'm trying to explain.

well for some odd reason I'm getting this itch to lift this truck instead of keeping it lowered as it is right now.

I need your all out honest opinion... I was thinking about flipping the torsion bars back to stock and raising it all the way up. Get some lift shackles for the rear and throwing a set of 32's on it. Your thoughts?

Keep it lowered for sure.

32's would not do this truck justice, it would need a 6-8" lift IMO to make it worth while.
I would leave it slick and lowered just IMO

With gas prices the way they are lifted with big tires = big $$$$ for gas

Lay low! lol

I say a little lift. I love the way my mounty sits with the 285's

Back