Completed Project - Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS | Page 32 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Completed Project Stic-o's 2nd gen. radius arm/coil SAS

Use this prefix for completed projects that are not "How to" articles or threads asking for help.
Well it's Finaly Time to Start this thread.

Intro
In April of 2006 I will be doing a Solid Axle Swap on my '99 Explorer XL. Through the entire prosess I will be takink pics and updateing when there is is new info. I've pretty much always known I was going to do a SAS in my truck all along. For this reason, I have never but a dime into my front axle. I just never saw the point if I was going to rip it out.

The Plan

I plan to run a High Pinion Dana 44 full width in the front. I will be using Early Bronco Coils, posiablly 5.5" lift coils. I am still unsure of what I will be using for Radius arms, as we are still in the works. I would like to do a 3 link in the front but I don't think it's possiable with the cast wedges. I will be running 5.13 gears and plan to use anywhere from a 35" tire to a 37" tire, depending what I find. In the rear, I will be going to a 86-96 full width 8.8 off a Bronco/F-150. This will give me the ability to keep my speedometer, as well as reuseing my current locker, BTF Cover, and Disc Brakes. This will also give me a 5x5.5 pattern, and width almost dead on with the front. I would also like to move the rear leaf springs to the outside of the frame with the FW 8.8 to get rid of the spring hangers under the back doors that we all get caught on.

There alot of things still unsure, and I will figure it out as I go. Unfortally only small things will be done, until late March. Lack of funds will keep me from doing much until then. The axle will be set to go in the truck in April sometime though. Now let get to the goods. Pictures :D

The Meat
12287D44.jpg

A side dish of parts

12287SAS_Parts.jpg

I can't wait for dessert :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nick26 said:
something tells me the gas milage complaint is not going to help your case very much if you want to get a super duty... ;)

Well I only drive 9-10 miles to work, and I can't tow with a civic :p

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Stic-o said:
...and I can't tow with a civic :p
well definitely not with that attitude :D

IZwack said:
well definitely not with that attitude :D

No kidding...maybe a Cummins diesel swap is in order :p

so i guess the next project is to regear the civic to 5.13s for optimum torque :D or a doubler <--- ouu thats a hot idea!

First of all I would never own a civic....

and now for a update, went down to the JY yeasterday and found a 93 explorer that looked almost like it just rolled off the showroom floor. well exsept the the driver front corner that got hammered pretty good. It must have been a total from the ins. co. The truck only has 75k on it, and I kid you not, I have never seen a Explorer so clean on the inside. This was someones baby. Kinda sad. Any how, so we ripped the steering box out of her, which was sort of a pain, because someone tried to take the motor, I think or maybe just the trans :rolleyes: and then just threw the motor back in the bay flywheel up :confused: I just don't understand some people. We also snagged the rear springs on off her. So the box and the springs went in mine this weekend. Steering is much tighter, but I need to replace the the mount at the firewll like section did. The rear springs are much stiffer and ride very nice, I noticed though that some of the leafs were longer though??? :confused: I'll have picks of the springs side by side later. and that's about it. I have to replace the u-joints in the front axle reall soon though, the passanger side actually had a cap fall out :eek: at least I'm not using the front axle right now. :rolleyes:

Stic-o said:
First of all I would never own a civic....

do not be putting the civic down, 40 mph in the city able to get 480miles on 12 gallons. 17 dollar tires at wal mart driving about 100 miles a day it well for me untii i get my BS.......

but ya it is still a civic

and we need more pics, action????

Charlie's_93EB said:
do not be putting the civic down, 40 mph in the city able to get 480miles on 12 gallons. 17 dollar tires at wal mart driving about 100 miles a day it well for me untii i get my BS.......

but ya it is still a civic

and we need more pics, action????
Nothing wrong with Honda...had a Accord for ten years, drove it every day over 100 miles, beat the living S&%t out of it, and put over 200,000 on it before it started falling apart.

BKennedy said:
Nothing wrong with Honda...had a Accord for ten years, drove it every day over 100 miles, beat the living S&%t out of it, and put over 200,000 on it before it started falling apart.

mine civic gets more air time then a rent a car. I know (hope) he was kidding.

Those are pretty cool matt. :thumbsup: I think mine just fell out because the clip was not in there. I got reallt frustrated dealing with them durring the build up, and just threw them in and said I'll deal with it later. Now it's later :( I'm going to get some new shafts (probably Yukons) but need to get those fixed and working for spare reguarless.

Are you going to go to the Off road expo? Someone has to leave a note about my crappy welds :p

If I am in town I will probably go. Work is keeping me busy so Im not sure. Yesterdy nd today were my first 2 days off in 2 months.

So I tried to flex the truck a little yesterday. I have this spot up the street that I've used in the past, but I use to lift tires there. Now it just flexs a bit. I probally flexed the drivers side a good 5" or so, and still had pletty of room for more. I just can't find and thing big enough anymore :D :p

Stic-o said:
So I tried to flex the truck a little yesterday. I have this spot up the street that I've used in the past, but I use to lift tires there. Now it just flexs a bit. I probally flexed the drivers side a good 5" or so, and still had pletty of room for more. I just can't find and thing big enough anymore :D :p
Don't worry, I know just the spot...........TRUCKHAVEN!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Working on getting the front bumper back on the weekend. Pushing in closer, took a couple of inches off the front of the frame. If you recall my bumper, it had that center hoop in the middle. Not any more! :D I'll have some pics tommorow. Later on I will tube the top, something like Jefe probally.

stico.gif

Alrighty, bumper is back on :thumbsup: Came out nice. Here's the pics..

In process...
Mounting.jpg

Finished product. Sorry for the crappy pics, but it was so bright today, there was alot of glare outside. Still have to put the fairlead back in...even though I have no winch :rolleyes:

Bumper1.jpg

Bumper2.jpg

Bumper3.jpg

Bumper4.jpg

Stic-o said:
Still have to put the fairlead back in...even though I have no winch :rolleyes:

I have a prediction on what the next note left on your truck will be :p

i was going through pics i had on my comp and i saw one of stic-o's pics. how bout that for a before pic.

Attachments

• 12287stuck.jpg
    12287stuck.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 855

Back