The Black Hole | Page 91 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 3327 has been selected as best answered.

Whats In A Name?

It was hot humid august night. The winds have all but vanished. I was doing my best to keep the sweat out of my eyes. The A/C was dying in my 94 Explorer, lovingly named "Pugly", and there was no relief in sight. I decided it was time to stop throwing good money into bad. I was gonna do the unthinkable,.......I was going to commit the most heinous crime of them all! I was going to trade Pugly in for a newer model! Oh the heart break! The insanity of it all! I couldn't believe the thoughts were even going through my head.

I managed to get the old girl back home, to her resting place. She seemed at ease in her familiar surroundings. I had to come up with an explanation to let her know of my evil plan. So i just gave her that old wink and grin that she likes to see from me as we made it back home from another day of adventure in the treacherous Midwestern terrain. I did my best in hiding my cynical thoughts, as I walked around to her rear flank and gave her that little pat on her bumper, as I always have when we part for the night.

The next morning I gave her a real good bath, cleaned behind her mirrors, and brushed her grill. She still looked pretty good for her age. Oh sure she had the tell tale signs, gravity has got its firm grip on her, and I am not the best cosmetics guy in the world. she didn't seem to mind too much, she still kept her nose up and drove with pride.

After looking at many vehicles I just could not find anything that had the same feel as my old girl. Then it happened! Was I seeing a mirage? Was I so desperate to find another rig that I was blinded by insanity? I found my replacement! I quickly made a sale with the owner, and brought it home.

When I pulled in the driveway, my heart sunk as I looked into the yard to see my 94 looking at me in disbelief. She was sunning herself in the grass looking all shiny and then, she just looked away from me. My heart was tearing in two. I parked the new rig, and walked up to her and gave her a soft spoken "Hello". No reply. I tried to tickle her mirrors, no response. The tension was so great, you could have cut it with a 32 count fine tooth hacksaw. I had to explain to her that she gave me great satisfaction for many years, and we made a terrific team together, but the time has come for her to just relax and enjoy her final days. She finally revved up, and understood, her days as my work horse has ended (so we thought).

I introduced her to her daily driver replacement. The shiny new(er) next generation of her kind. The 95 Explorer XLT. She warmed right up to it. Before you know it they were swapping stories. Now I had to ask her for help. I needed a name for the new ride,
so I went to find her, and what did I see? Those two were grill to grill in the driveway. rubbing chrome! I had to get the water hose out and break them up! Sheesh, she was acting like a girl at the prom dance! I let the name thing drop for awhile.

The new(er) Ex needed to get its shots, and a physical. When I got the word on it's health, I about had a coronary. "What do you mean Doc"! I yelled. "Your kidding right"? I asked. The Doc just shook his head and gathered his tools. As he walked away, He said it had a 50/50 chance of survival. My stomach knotted up, my teeth ground, my heart raced, and I could feel the energy build up as I let it all out, "Why! Why! Why did this have to happen"! I screamed.

The prognostic exam from the doc was as such. It had a blown steering rack, the shocks were gone, the brakes were non existent, front sway bar was cracked in half, the 3rd brake light was out, none of the windows or the moon roof would work, the door locks were broke, the rear end LS clutch pack was burned up, the tires were all in need of replacement, the spare was a Firestone recall and flat, the engine had a nasty tick to it, the TPS was shot, the MAF was corroded, the battery had a dead cell in it, the hood shocks were not working, the rear hatch lock was jammed up and you couldn't open it with out a key in the lock, The carpet was stained to no repair, the rear window wiper didn't want to work, and we could not tell what year its engine swap came from. it was a mess, to say the least.

I went in the house to get my gun. I was gonna just put it out of its misery right there and then. I suddenly realized I was out of ammo, from shooting at the jeep that was in my field. I went to the computer to find a place to buy some cheap ammo, and I stumbled across this website, explorerforum.com that said it could heal any ford Explorer no matter what the problems were! I jumped for joy, I could not believe the things I was reading! I wore out the search button, asked a bunch of questions. I quickly broke out my pen and paper, feverishly writing down things as I was learning! I had found a cure for everything that was wrong with my new transport. It was a Godsend, an angel from the SUV heavens!

I sprung into action. I worked day and night, Pugly was right by my side the entire time, helping me in any way she could. I never seen this side of her, and was really amazed at how well she handled the pressure. She gently squeegeed the sweat out off my fore head with her soft wiper blades as I worked away. After an entire weekend of work, I collapsed. I needed some rest, and so did the 95. The sun crested over the hills, and awoke me to a new day. I shuffled my feet to the window facing the driveway, peeled the drapes gently back, and peered out at the 95. WOW!
It had a its color back, and was looking great! Now as the time went on, (and most of my paychecks), and the selling of almost everything I own, for funds to get the 95 to its former glory.

After some time to reflect on this name thing, I strolled up and whispered into Pugly's passenger side mirror, and she giggled with delight.

I climbed up onto the front bumper in my pajamas and robe half opened, with a cup of coffee in one hand and the daily newspaper in the other, I raised my arms with out stretched hands and proclaimed the new name of the 95.

BEHOLD...........THE BLACK HOLE!!!!!!!! (Then the neighbor yelled at me to close my robe)

The End................(or is it just the beginning?)

Actually, only some of this really happened. :D

View attachment 324381

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So I removed the drive shaft to measure pinion angle vs T-case angle.

Front T-case flange is 87* down. Rear pinion flange is 85* up. I put a bubble level on both flanges to make sure I was getting my up & down orientation correct. Here is what I am having wrapping my head around. Is it 2* off or 8* off?

87-85=2*
or
90-87=3* & 90-85=5* so 3+5=8*

2* is fine if both the same orientation I believe.
8* is not OK if going the opposite orientation.

From what I understand is that U-joints can be within 3-4* off from each other and cancel the other out alright. So if I am 8* off, the 4* shims I have should work. I'm trying to figure this out before I tear the leafs apart. Ugh...

I also found the rear flange to be loose and has some in/out play. About a 1/4" of movement and the fluid covered dif and the wet fuel tank/body shows it. :(

Attachments

• pinion seal leak fluid splatter.jpg
    pinion seal leak fluid splatter.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 184

So since the last post... I have been schooled by somebody that knows way more than I.

It is only 2* off, so no shims needed. It was measured on level ground and loaded at ride height. Glad I didn't open the shim package, as they are going back. I can use the funds towards the shops charge for the work done. Sheesh, my brain hurts.

New crush sleeve will be installed and pre-load set by them.

Weld to Top main or lower overload? :scratch:

since you have to do it over, don't put in a crush sleeve, buy a solid spacer kit and have them put that in. It is about $10-15 on ebay for the kit.

Weld to the overload - lesser of 2 evils kind of thing

since you have to do it over, don't put in a crush sleeve, buy a solid spacer kit and have them put that in. It is about $10-15 on ebay for the kit.

Weld to the overload - lesser of 2 evils kind of thing

Never knew about that solid spacer! Thanks Brian, I will search it out. :thumbsup:

I was leaning to the overload, just thought it could snag and break off there. Chances of hitting it, is minimal tho.

So, here's a video showing the loose pinion shaft. I'm thinking I must have over tightened it, causing the sleeve to fail, when I last replaced the seal.

Click on the picture below.

th_rear%20pinion%20wobble%20video_zps2tcb3v5c.jpg

Edit: I found the solid spacer for the 8.8 on E-bay. Will be here in a few days. I realized what it is after I seen it. I used this in a GM axle way back in the 1900's. If I remember, it was a PITA to install dealing with the shims. Hopefully the shop I take it too, is more of a custom then a production mindset, and are familiar with the solid kit.

Edit again: Scratch that shop off the list. New plan has developed, and the axle is coming out and going to an experienced 4x4 shop. Few bucks more, for peace of mind is worth it. Since that is happening, I can't not take advantage of this, and that big mod I mentioned a while back is happening now. :) The race to be done for Moab, has just intensified!! :eek:

So... If you have followed either of my registries, you know I just can't put something back together without cleaning it up first.

Driveshaft came out, and I decided to rebuild it before putting it back in. I have new Solid sealed Spicer U-Joints for it, but first.... Since I have a fresh POR15 kit just sitting on a shelf, well.......

Attachments

• Rear shaft cleaned.jpg
    Rear shaft cleaned.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 185
  • yolks painted.jpg
    yolks painted.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 194
  • shaft painted.jpg
    shaft painted.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 183

Gmanpaint, your rear end looks amazing.
Ok, that sounded wrong.

It's awesome when we get to project fun stuff rather than getting thru seemingly endless broken part issues.

I love to see this stuff.

Have to add, that is a great looking rear. Looking forward to tales of the Yukon 88 kits.

Of course, that means more stuff gets on my someday list. The wife will be thrilled.

:exp:

So... If you have followed either of my registries, you know I just can't put something back together without cleaning it up first.

I share your affliction . . . glad I'm not the only one! Looking great, looking forward to seeing this rig in a few weeks.

Paul
'91 Sport

Have to add, that is a great looking rear. Looking forward to tales of the Yukon 88 kits.

Of course, that means more stuff gets on my someday list. The wife will be thrilled.

:exp:
Thanks Mikes Bro! :thumbsup:
Like any rear end, break her in easy. :D

I share your affliction . . . glad I'm not the only one! Looking great, looking forward to seeing this rig in a few weeks.

Paul
'91 Sport
Thanks Paul! :thumbsup:
A lot of obstacles I have to overcome to make it to Moab, but I am working my hardest to make it happen!

Post 1804 has been updated with new U-joint info!!! (Such a mess)

The appointment has been made for the rear axle rebuild, but they are booked solid until the April 20th. Man this is cutting it close!

So, since the rear will be gutted for the work, they are going to pre-heat to 400* in their oven, then weld the tubes to the housing for an extra $100! I think that is a steal of a deal! Woot!!

Great upgrades, nice to get them together at once.

BTW, going back a second to the old IFS front, is there a better front axle than the stock choices? I've got to swap parts from two trucks, and two axles are unknowns that'll be for my power SUV. I've never noticed any mention of different stronger axles, but maybe someone here knows.

LOL, and okay, that's what I thought. I hoped that enough off roading had created enough need for something else. Of course I don't know if the 250HP I plan to run to them will do any harm either. The drive shaft might be the weakest link, nobody's pushed the limit yet. Thanks,

So the BTF arms arrived today. :) Ordered Black, got gun metal gray. Not a big deal. Been stripping them down to bare metal, so I can coat them with the black POR15.

These things are pure Beef! :bounce:

How does that saying go? Oh yeah...... "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good!"

The BTF DOM tube upper arms are well thought out and I understand why they cost as much as they do after having them in my hands. The multiple degrees and offsets, plus the machined Uniball stud that holds the machined bushings & stud for the Knuckle pinch point, is pretty complex. These were a bit more complex, as they were made an extra 1/2" longer then normal for me. I wanted the extra for the alignment bolts to have plenty of room on either side of the stock frame ear slots.

They have a 1" Uniball, that can be replaced if ever needed. Grade 8 stud with locknut. Black poly bushings, and a BTF logo welded on the fronts.

They come in their stock color of Gun Metal Gray Hammertone. Nothing more then a simple rattle can spray paint. I stripped them with Lacquer thinner and a scotch brite pad easily. Rinsed them clean with acetone, hung them up, and applied 2 coats of POR15 gloss black. The logo tag plate was highlighted with Steel Chrome, and the lettering with multiple coats of Red metallic flake.

I wont be able to get them on until after the rear axle gets installed. Appointment for that is next week, and however long it takes for them to finish up. Hopefully not more then a couple of days. (fingers crossed)

So a few pics of them until they are installed to satisfy the picture fiends. :D

1) Out of the box
2) Hung and 1st coat of POR15
3&4) 2 coats POR15, and accent colors

Attachments

• BTF Gun metal gray.jpg
    BTF Gun metal gray.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 205
  • BTF black hanging to dry.jpg
    BTF black hanging to dry.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 217
  • Single BTF finished painted.jpg
    Single BTF finished painted.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 207
  • both BTF finished painted.jpg
    both BTF finished painted.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 212

Beautiful!

Another option if you don't want to weld those u-bolts on is to do what [MENTION=3817]BKennedy[/MENTION] did.. I "think" he used the existing hole in the spring (what used to hold the sliding shims) to put a bolt though and to hold the u-shaped metal..

Of course, I was planning on welding to mine but I need to replace my springs since after 5 wheeling trips my springs are starting to W again.. (they go inverted, a lot when wheeling).

~Mark

Other then threading one of those holes, I can't see how that would work. :dunno:

the leaf above is flush to the leaf below. Maybe i'm not understanding correctly. :scratch:

Been a few years since I have had to fully remove the rear axle. Last I did it, was on the 94 in like 2012 maybe. I have been fighting the E-brake line end (one side) on the back of the axle for over an hour and haven't got it to come off yet. :banghead:

I tried to compress the little spring clips and push the cable forward to get it out for slack, with no luck.

I backed the star wheel out as much as possible, went at it again, and no luck.

I tried brute force with pry-bars, and no luck.

How the heck do these come off? :crazy:

Try a flare nut wrench that will fit the cable and compress the metal clips. I think that's the tool I read of helping for those.

Back