Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo 4 Conversion, The Nasty Hoe Gets Blown!

That's right, I couldn't keep it under wraps any longer, and so the first stage of the conversion and re-vamp of the whole truck begins.

In short, which I'll go into detail once I get back to labratory this evening is:

Complete front clip transformataion in sheet metal work, including custom fenders and hood, front bumper w/winch and lights.

Slick roof line.

Complete drivetrain conversion (from engine, tranny to transfer case) and custom wiring harness.

Super soft 6.5" Rock Crawler front spring and hiem joints on the adjustable extended radius arms.

With 5.13's front a rear with already existing Lincoln Locker out back and LSD clutch style modified in the front.

Although there are about 80% of the parts already collected, there are still a few more to obtain and or fabricate up to make this happen, I will go through and document and keep you filled in on ever aspect of this adventure as I plug away at it, this will take some time, and the buget is nill, but when I get back and fill you in on how I got some of the existing stuff, and how I plan on working the rest of it, you'll see than anyone on any buget can do this to.

I hope you all will enjoy this, and although this was way more premature of a posting that I wanted to do, it was like waiting for Santa to show on X-Mas.

If you don't know what's already been done to my truck you can click the link "My Junk" below in my sig, and this will be the next exciting phase in it's evolution.

If you have questions, lemme be the first to say, "PLASE ASK"

Jeff - :navajo:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so how many total vehicles are you swapping/tearing apart/here?

Yeah, that's pretty funny you noticed that, we actually sat down for dinner and talked about the thread on here "Who's junk is on your junk", and tried a psudeo geneology of all the vehicles, we figured it would be eaiser to do it on paper and scan it in, lmao.

It's pretty intense and I would have to be honest that there would still be a few errors in it being fully acurate.

There are atleast 11 different vehicles that are contributing parts to my Navajo...........as of right now, there are actually 4 Explorer and 1 Navajo (mot mine, but I have my paws in hese projects too) that are in the wings of undergoing revamping, or converting as we speak, Although I belive I have has pulled the trigger on mine a little early, the drive train was necissary to go in the club truck now, so really it was all I guess right on time.

So what doea all this mean?

All the nonrunning junk that has been sitting in my yard or driveway runs, and my personal rig doesn't, :rolleyes: irony isn't it? LOL!

But that's ok, cause now it gives me the push on the conversion that I have been talking about for years, as Trckmagik (Brian) mentioned.

Although this isn't going to be going at warp speed there should be a great amount of work getting done on it from this point forward, despite subletting for kid out on spring break/summer vacation, side job to bring in a few $$$$, tending to my other project, my lawn :), and other wrenches that may get thrown in the works, but this should still move along prety briskly though.

I'm shooting for August for a pretty close date on completetion, lets see if I hit it or not, and what sort of bumps in the road occur along the way.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

jeff is Right the plans for this have been in the Works for quite some time. Also this helps my poor Navajo live again. Although Still drivable, my Navajo has a bad head gasket leak along with bad syncronizers in the 5-speed. so revamping my Navajo is a major goal. Along with the club truck, and my New Crawler Project. (BTW pay no attention to my crawler project statement)...

Crazy people from TX..... jk

Looks like a awesome project. Possibly someday ill get mine trail ready and bring it down there to check out The Blown Nasty Hoe

Crazy people from TX..... jk

Looks like a awesome project. Possibly someday ill get mine trail ready and bring it down there to check out The Blown Nasty Hoe

Or we could all me in Hot Springs, AR for an EF run ;)

Slight update, after going through the transmission, it is found out that is was cooked, so a rebuild is in order.

So a test fit of the drivetrain is still on hold till this gets done :(

Better I find out now rather than putting it in then find out.

Still deciding on weather I want to put a slight stall converter in it or not.

I always hate bad news... :( Its even worse to be the bearer of bad new... :banghead:

wowee

I have seen 2wd rangers with the 2.3T but never a 4x4 and especially not a Navajo

Its gonna be sweet :), electric 5.0L! and all that room in front of the engine you could almost put another 4 banger in there :)

Slight update, after going through the transmission, it is found out that is was cooked, so a rebuild is in order.

So a test fit of the drivetrain is still on hold till this gets done :(

Better I find out now rather than putting it in then find out.

Still deciding on weather I want to put a slight stall converter in it or not.

that sucks man, but its better to get the rebuild out of the way. If it was good, you guys probaily would have broke it pretty quickly any ways =P

Engine bay has been pressure washed ready for paint, and plans to remove the front half of the frame rails for the so-called "Hoopie" bumper and winch can be mounted along with a skid/rock plate, and steering gear box support.

Battery tray removed, marked core support for chopping, and tube re-enforcement, and wire harness routing.

Engine also has been pressure washed and is ready for dissassembly and check over/reseal, new timing belt/adj. cam sprocket and paint.

subscribe

Question from another forum:

Elder Elemental Evil said:
So are you shortening the engine bay, or am I reading that wrong?

No, I'm actually fixing two problems, one the approch angle is too lax, so by chopping 1 1/2 feet off the front of the frame rails.

One, this takes the downward "Dip" out of the frame rail, and allows for the front tube bumper to suck up closer to the front clip, and allows me to position it higher up, like TA did your bumper, replacing the lower header panel below the grille assy.

Two it also allows for me to use 1/8" sheet sheet steel to go acrros the bottom where the frame rails used to be, to act a protection plate and radiator lower support, and winch plate, the winch will sit right in front of the engine, and behind the radiator, between the frame rails.

By removing the body mounts in the front and lower section of the core support, to mount the ratiator some 4" more forward, I will have to fab a new core support via tubing to keep the front half of the clip from breaking off the firewall or deforming.

It'll all look stock from the outside, but it will be far from that once you open the hood and peek inside.

So having another in a string of crappy days, I decided to channel my energy into something somewhat constructive and pulled a Kris, coating the frame rails in "Truck Liner", painting the TTB, Ext. Raidus arms, gear box, steering assy, and anything else I could think of while I was under/over/on top/upside down in there.

Question from another forum:

No, I'm actually fixing two problems, one the approch angle is too lax, so by chopping 1 1/2 feet off the front of the frame rails.

One, this takes the downward "Dip" out of the frame rail, and allows for the front tube bumper to suck up closer to the front clip, and allows me to position it higher up, like TA did your bumper, replacing the lower header panel below the grille assy.

Two it also allows for me to use 1/8" sheet sheet steel to go acrros the bottom where the frame rails used to be, to act a protection plate and radiator lower support, and winch plate, the winch will sit right in front of the engine, and behind the radiator, between the frame rails.

By removing the body mounts in the front and lower section of the core support, to mount the ratiator some 4" more forward, I will have to fab a new core support via tubing to keep the front half of the clip from breaking off the firewall or deforming.

It'll all look stock from the outside, but it will be far from that once you open the hood and peek inside.

I'm having a hard time imagining all this, but i'm guess you can inside your sick and twisted mind (mwhahahaha?) when you get it done i'd like to see what you mean by all this

Glad you think so Highly of me... :D

So having another in a string of crappy days, I decided to channel my energy into something somewhat constructive and pulled a Kris, coating the frame rails in "Truck Liner", painting the TTB, Ext. Raidus arms, gear box, steering assy, and anything else I could think of while I was under/over/on top/upside down in there.

I'm having a hard time imagining all this, but i'm guess you can inside your sick and twisted mind (mwhahahaha?) when you get it done i'd like to see what you mean by all this

If you have ever looked at the frame rail foward of the coil buckets on a 1st gen you will notice that the rails dip downward like a 1/4"-1/2" estimated, not only that they stck out far enough that if you were to put a custom bumper on it, it will still stick out pretty far, with this said, I can trim/cut them off and reduce the amount of over hang, and create a better approch angle.

In doing so it limits me as to where to put equipment such as a winch, seeing as though I have other available space and imagination in my own sick and twisted mind I'm going to take advantage of this and incorperate taking a different approch at this, and think outside the box to make this happen with out having to molest the looks of the truck.

Glad you think so Highly of me... :D

Like you, I look highly towards your skills and attention to detail, weather it be mechanical or paint and body work.

That's prolly one reason we work so well together ;)

You can critisize when you come up next time.

Ready for disassembly, reseal and repaint:

Misc_Stuff_008.jpg

Misc_Stuff_010.jpg

that diffy needs a skid plate :)

I like it, lots of great ideas there. How large of a radiator are you going to have there? The 95+ radiators cool better(I know they are a lot taller). Regards,

Back