Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 66 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
"As for the TSB, it is the same one they are performing on the 11-13 models (12-12-4 I beleive). So, they changed out the tail gate seal, air extractors, drains, and applied sealant on all the seals....did absolutely nothing.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info on the TSB(12-12-4), wish it would have fixed the problem.
Service mgr called and told me they have another "new" TSB (didn't say what the date code is), that involves "updating the firmware". We'll take it in next Tuesday and let'm have a go at it. One of the techs has a 2014 EX LTD with the same "smelly" problem, and is doing the TSB's on his vehicle. Hopefully, that is a plus for us. 14 EX, where are the "air extractors"(vents) located? I was told they were under the rear of the vehicle, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it could be them ?? Thanks, Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have the "Exhaust" smell after medium/hard acceleration as well. 2014 Ex LTD 4k miles so far. Had the same problem with our last truck, 2004 Sequoia. Problem was never resolved, they just replaced the "cats" with some that didn't create quite as bad an odor. I experimented with a longer exhaust tip(single exhaust,bigger(4.7v8) engine and it made a significant difference, but did not totally eliminate the problem. I figured when we bought this truck that SURELY all the manufacturers had resolved this type of problem. Ha!. The design of the exhaust on the Ex is at least part of the problem. You have a 213 cu.in. engine which really doesn't need dual exhaust(it's not dual all the way anyhow), then you split the volume of the gas into two separate pipes at the very end of the run, then you flair the pipe to a larger size, THEN dump the now slow moving gas into a larger "tip", and there is very little velocity remaining. Add to that the vortices around the immediate rear of the truck, and the gas is going to get sucked in anywhere there is an "opening". I have noticed that it does not happen at lower speed short bursts, but more so with longer periods of acceleration, like from 55 to 75. I have also noticed it even when going over an overpass on the interstate, which causes a downshift while on cruise control.
Running the A/C on "fresh air intake" helps by partially "pressurizing" the cabin with air from the front intake. Just my opinion, which doesn't get much attention. We were told last week, that they "just got a TSB" on the problem, and they were going to do the fix on a 2014 Ex that belonged to their dispatcher. Prior to this, NO ONE at the dealership had EVER heard of "the problem" before.??? I can't find any mention of a "new" TSB anywhere, but, we will find out more this week. Is the problem in ALL explorers? or is it that some owners ignore it, or never accelerate at a rate that produces the problem? I'm hopeful, but not excited,,yet. We really like the truck(not really a truck anymore), but are very disappointed that this problem has not been resolved when there is evidence that it has shown up in all the "5th gen" models.

Awesome post. Thanks. I'm thinking the flow vortices are definitely part of the problem. and I was also thinking that pressurizing the cabin was helping.

Interesting to hear you experienced this in a totally different model.

I'm like obsessed with scoping out other suv exhaust designs...lol.

"As for the TSB, it is the same one they are performing on the 11-13 models (12-12-4 I beleive). So, they changed out the tail gate seal, air extractors, drains, and applied sealant on all the seals....did absolutely nothing.
Thanks for the info on the TSB(12-12-4), wish it would have fixed the problem.
Service mgr called and told me they have another "new" TSB (didn't say what the date code is), that involves "updating the firmware". We'll take it in next Tuesday and let'm have a go at it. One of the techs has a 2014 EX LTD with the same "smelly" problem, and is doing the TSB's on his vehicle. Hopefully, that is a plus for us. 14 EX, where are the "air extractors"(vents) located? I was told they were under the rear of the vehicle, but I haven't seen anything that looks like it could be them ?? Thanks, Gary[/QUOTE]

I heard about the firmware too - I think its when you hit a certain RPM the AC switches to fresh mode; not sure though. The extracters are located under the rear bumper, you cant see them unless its removed.

[MENTION=256362]BLA[/MENTION]nchard: Thanks, I'm thinking the front air dam may also contribute to the problem by interrupting the air flow under the vehicle which might otherwise help to sweep the exhaust gases away from the rear of the truck. Good for the aerodynamics, but maybe not for our problem. If they can't fix it, I think I will eventually get a "muffler" shop to route a single pipe out the side of the truck right behind the rear wheel, either right or left. Some older trucks had an exhaust system like that, and it was to get the gases out into a turbulent air stream, and swept away from the bed of the truck/camper shell, as a lot of trucks back then had camper "shells". Some of the new trucks that have the "bed covers" may have the same problem. I think I saw where some of the Ford super duty's were getting complaints. Hope we get a fix somehow. Like someone said, " you pays yo money, and takes yo chances". Good luck on your end. Please keep us posted. Gary
I had a '86 El Camino with tail pipe like that.

...interesting (from NHTSA site)

Date Complaint Filed: 07/09/2014
Component(s): ENGINE , FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM , UNKNOWN OR OTHER
Date of Incident: 05/16/2013
NHTSA ID Number: 10609211

Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): 1FM5K7D8XDG...
SUMMARY:
I PURCHASED A NEW 2013 FORD EXPLORER. I OFTEN DRIVE WITH MY DOG IN THE REAR SEATS. PRIOR TO MY EXPLORER, MY DOG NEVER GOT SICK WHEN BEING DRIVEN. SINCE BUYING MY EXPLORER, MY DOG HAS OFTEN GOTTEN SICK, INCLUDING VOMITING, WHILE BEING DRIVEN THE CAR. I HAD MAY CAR TESTED, AND CARBON MONOXIDE WAS FOUND INSIDE MY CAR WITH THE ENGINE ON BUT THE CAR IDLE. THERE WAS A HIGHER LEVEL OF CARBON MONOXIDE IN THE BACK OF THE CAR THAN IN THE FRONT.

Is this exhaust smell a current problem or has Ford figured it out. My dealer doesn't have a clue. 2013 Ford Explorer, V6, 20,000 miles.
I did not have this problem until I had them reprogram the auto transmission about 6 months (6000miles) ago. Just a bad smell after I accelerate getting on the freeway or other acceleration.

There is a TSB for it but results have been far from positive. With that said and the problem ongoing, I would say, NO, Ford has not got it figured out....yet.

Peter

Thanks for the response Peter. I just wish I had never ask them to look at the transmission.

There is a TSB for it but results have been far from positive. With that said and the problem ongoing, I would say, NO, Ford has not got it figured out....yet.

Peter

Just had the "new" TSB done a few days ago. It didn't eliminate the problem completely, but may have helped. I haven't had a chance to do a thorough test drive yet. Don't know for sure what the re-programming exactly. The serv mgr said it would switch open the fresh air blending door when accelerating, and maybe some other actions..? I don't know if it "triggers" strictly on RPM (which is what I was told), or engine load calculation. If only on RPM, it probably won't help under WOT acceleration, but maybe a less aggressive acceleration ?
I'll post back after I've had the chance to test further. We've got a short road trip to make tomorrow, and I should be able to find out more then.
Thanks to all who are posting about this problem. Maybe we can help Ford fix the problem, or at least get it to where it's tolerable.

51,000 miles and I have the same problem. I started reading this thread from the beginning but quickly went to the end.

So Ford still has no definite solution for this problem?

Quote: So Ford still has no definite solution for this problem?

That appears to be the case. I tested ours today,, still the same. The service mgr said he has not detected the smell when he tested. Well, I'm going to have to take him for a test drive. The smell is not as strong under "mild" acceleration, but when you are accessing a freeway, accelerating from say 40mph to 70mph in short order,, the smell is VERY evident. My wife switches the blower to max, outside air, and opens the windows to get rid of it. I'm afraid there is no "quick cheap" fix, and I don't know what it will take to get them(Ford) to resolve the problem. It should have been "taken care of" when first discovered on the 2011 models.

Last winter I though mine had stopped stinking up the interior. As the weather got warmer the smell came back so I think it must be worse own different fuel blends.

My Ex is in the shop now to get TSB 12-12-4 done. I had to take the service manager fir a ride because they could never smell it. Thus was the 3rd time I said something about it. I'm not expecting it to be resolved by the TSB, but more to get Ford and the dealer to admipt that it exists so if there us finally a good fix that I can have some recourse.

As much as I like my Ex, the longer I own it, the longer I plan to keep my '01 truck. They just don't make them like they used to. Over 13 years and 210,000 miles, my truck has been down/at the shop less than 1/3 the EX has in 19months/35,000 miles. I blame a lot on the dealer... They sure do seem to drag their feet I have to get them to fix things multiple times before it's right. The last 2 vehicles came from them. The next will not.

It has been some time since I did not bother to visit this forum because I was not able to find the solution here for the exhaust smell issue. TSB had been performed with my EX but after several visits to the shop with the same unwanted smell issue, the service advisor finally gave me this explanation: "We had EX customers with the same issue with yours. 1 customer brought it to Consumer Protection Department(?) in the city and an investigation was carried out. At the end of the day, the EX owner was only told that the unwanted smell is within the acceptable level." !!! I don't know what to say but I think I have to bear with it until I can :(

The service manager called to tell me that they received some parts for a new TSB. I was making arrangements for an appointment to install to my Explorer.

I tell you what happened

The service manager called to tell me that they received some parts for a new TSB. I was making arrangements for an appointment to install to my Explorer.

I tell you what happened
Ask him what the TSB code is. ex., 4-12-4 or ?
For some reason, they are kinda tight lipped about the TSB's.
Thanks for the input.

My wife switches the blower to max, outside air, and opens the windows to get rid of it. I'm afraid there is no "quick cheap" fix,

yeah the window trick is where I am at too.

Here is what I've observed over the past month.

First few minutes of operation, the exhaust smell is the worst.

--At idle I can smell "the smell" when standing at the rear lift gate. this is in the first 4-5 minutes of operation.

I can reliably mitigate the smell with fresh air on and blower speed above the middle setting.

cracking the windows will quickly yank the fumes out at highway speeds.

My running hypothesis is that this is a catalytic converter problem. This explorer has the worst smelling exhaust I've ever experienced in 20+ yrs of working with cars professionally and as a hobby.

To me this indicates that the cats are causing a reaction with the fuel and air that produces something awful smelling.

My 2010 mustang GT smells almost pleasant at first start up.

"To me this indicates that the cats are causing a reaction with the fuel and air that produces something awful smelling."
If that was the case, then why don't all Explorers have this issue? I'm quite sure the same exhaust parts are used on them.

Peter

Thanks for the input blanchard. Yeah, the cats don't work well until they get up to temperature. Some smell worse than others, BUT, the smell should not get into the cabin of the vehicle. Do you ever smell the exhaust in your mustang. I still have not been able to find out if this problem exists with ALL 5th gen explorers. All the Ford service people are afraid to say anything. If the can't fix it, they should offer to buy it back, and pay the owner for the inconvenience, and frustration. Fat chance huh!

Thanks for the input blanchard. Yeah, the cats don't work well until they get up to temperature. Some smell worse than others, BUT, the smell should not get into the cabin of the vehicle. Do you ever smell the exhaust in your mustang. I still have not been able to find out if this problem exists with ALL 5th gen explorers. All the Ford service people are afraid to say anything. If the can't fix it, they should offer to buy it back, and pay the owner for the inconvenience, and frustration. Fat chance huh!

I've never had any exhaust get in any cabin of any vehicle I've owned--but I've never owned a vehicle with rear air conditioning.

The Mustang exhaust never smells--ever.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"To me this indicates that the cats are causing a reaction with the fuel and air that produces something awful smelling."
If that was the case, then why don't all Explorers have this issue? I'm quite sure the same exhaust parts are used on them.

Peter

The answer is variation in how the catalytic converters are made (materials) or fuel blends.

Back