Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 85 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I'm getting the exhaust smell even when the rear a.c. is completely turned off.
It's not a strong as when the rear a.c. is on, but it is still strong enough to burn my nose. I'm driving with the windows and moon roof cracked.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! FORD SERIOUSLY, YOU NEED TO STEP UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS. I'M SO DISAPPOINTED THAT THIS AMERICAN COMPANY IS TREATING CONSUMERS WITH SUCH DISRESPECT!

It is very obvious Ford does not give a RAT'S ASS about this issue. Does anyone out there know if the Police interceptor explorers have this issue?. my understanding is those vehicles have different exhaust system's and maybe different venting/ac systems??
Also ,what happens to the explorer's that Ford takes back under the lemon laws? . Are they resold as exec vehicles or are they just scrapped?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is very obvious Ford does not give a RAT'S ASS about this issue. Does anyone out there know if the Police interceptor explorers have this issue?. my understanding is those vehicles have different exhaust system's and maybe different venting/ac systems??
Also ,what happens to the explorer's that Ford takes back under the lemon laws? . Are they resold as exec vehicles or are they just scrapped?

I am not sure, but I have heard they are not resold.

I hear ya about Ford though. After years in a foreign car I was ready to start owning American again. I thought Ford had really stepped up in terms of design and quality of their cars. Its seems however this is a major flaw that Ford can't fix. Very strange that they can't figure it out. The Ford mechanic I have been working with is trying his best, but at one point he basically just told me to be ready to accept that it is a design flaw or that Ford will say a little smell is normal.

I was also all set to become a Ford family and buy a F150 or a Mustang as well. Now I am not sure I will every buy another Ford.

I finally heard back this afternoon from Ford. The mechanic tried everything that was recommended and there is still an odor in the car. I was told that Ford is now sending an engineer down to look at the car. So who knows how long that will take. I believe others here have reported the same thing and nothing was fixed.

I am almost to the point of demanding to speak with someone higher up to try and have this issue resolved vs waiting around multiple more days for an engineer. I bought a brand new car and I shouldn't have to deal with it sitting in the shop!

I finally heard back this afternoon from Ford. The mechanic tried everything that was recommended and there is still an odor in the car. I was told that Ford is now sending an engineer down to look at the car. So who knows how long that will take. I believe others here have reported the same thing and nothing was fixed.

I am almost to the point of demanding to speak with someone higher up to try and have this issue resolved vs waiting around multiple more days for an engineer. I bought a brand new car and I shouldn't have to deal with it sitting in the shop!

Ford is hoping you get frustrated enough that you either go away or self destruct. This is a stall technique used to keep you in the loop and self serving on their part as it makes it look like they are trying to fix it...........meanwhile months blow by and you lose more money daily in value. If they really wanted to get to the bottom of this 1) they would give you another Ex to use while they take yours to a facility with wind tunnel ,smoke tracking etc and figure it out. 2) they should compensate you for loss of your vehicle or at least make the payments for you if that scenario exists. None of this will happen .............because it is the right thing to do. They have already got your money. :mad:

...... 2) they should compensate you for loss of your vehicle or at least make the payments for you if that scenario exists. None of this will happen .............because it is the right thing to do. They have already got your money. :mad:
This has happened to some members on this Forum. I'm sorry you have such a negative outlook about the dealership. I on the other hand have had nothing but excellent things to say about the dealerships I have dealt with for at least the last 12 years or so.

Peter

Confirmed this morning the smell can happen with no HVAC on what so ever. In fact it was again so bad that after parking the car and coming back to it 5 minutes later it still smelt horrible inside.

It's crazy on why some have it and some don't. I will be turning 80,000 miles on mine this weekend and have no smell whatsoever. Even today with the AC on with the rear on and I had to gun it a few times up to 5,000rpm.. nothing.

I did have the TSB done when it was first came out but even prior to that I had only smelled it once ever.

I don't understand why only some do this and others are perfectly fine.

Just to add that my 2015 Explorer Limited has the same issue with the exhaust smell when having to accelerate hard. I thought it was just mine.

Wondering if I made a mistake in buying a Ford.
1. Front bumper was coming apart -- fixed
2. Exhaust smell when accelerating hard
3. Seat memory buttons don't work
4. Can't lock or unlock vehicle with keyless entry by touching door handle.

I'm about to address 2-4 very soon with the dealer.

Funny..i have this smell but it really doesn't bother me as it goes away 10-15 sec later

It's crazy on why some have it and some don't. I will be turning 80,000 miles on mine this weekend and have no smell whatsoever. Even today with the AC on with the rear on and I had to gun it a few times up to 5,000rpm.. nothing.

I did have the TSB done when it was first came out but even prior to that I had only smelled it once ever.

I don't understand why only some do this and others are perfectly fine.

Is anybody in the back when you thought it should smell? Try driving it hard with no A/C, let it run through the gears at WOT, repeat, then come to a stop or just cruise, after about 15 seconds its going to smell like death. I think with the air conditioner on it might be moving the air around enough (fan speed dependent) where you don't smell it.

Is anybody in the back when you thought it should smell? Try driving it hard with no A/C, let it run through the gears at WOT, repeat, then come to a stop or just cruise, after about 15 seconds its going to smell like death. I think with the air conditioner on it might be moving the air around enough (fan speed dependent) where you don't smell it.

I've had up to 7 passengers many times, it is our family vehicle and I have my 1 and 4 year old in the 2nd row. No one has ever complained about any smell. Ive had my Ex for over 4 years.. never an issue but that 1 time and even then, I believe it was more of the sulfur smell, not exhaust.

Keep in mind, almost 20,000 miles a year for 4 years and we have done every possible combination of air in the Ex. We do not have this issue and there are many that are in the same boat as me.

I've had up to 7 passengers many times, it is our family vehicle and I have my 1 and 4 year old in the 2nd row. No one has ever complained about any smell. Ive had my Ex for over 4 years.. never an issue but that 1 time and even then, I believe it was more of the sulfur smell, not exhaust.

Keep in mind, almost 20,000 miles a year for 4 years and we have done every possible combination of air in the Ex. We do not have this issue and there are many that are in the same boat as me.

Do you know which TSB you had done, there have been a few different ones over the years I believe?

So after 3 tries I was told that Ford has done all they can do. Regional Ford engineer told my local Ford mechanic that sometimes they can never get the smell to go away completely. They said sometimes the TSB fixes it or people accept the level of smell enough after the fix and live with it, while others will always smell it and it will always bother them.

I put in a call to Ford customer service and submitted my car as a buy back claim. Waiting for the regional manager to call me back to discuss options. There is no point in trying to switch into another explorer. I am done dealing with this situation. It's obviously a defect with the car. I am going to demand a full refund. It would be nice since they acknowledge the problem and the fact that they can't fix it, if I didn't have to go through the whole lemon law process but I am prepared to do so if necessary.

So after 3 tries I was told that Ford has done all they can do. Regional Ford engineer told my local Ford mechanic that sometimes they can never get the smell to go away completely. They said sometimes the TSB fixes it or people accept the level of smell enough after the fix and live with it, while others will always smell it and it will always bother them.

I put in a call to Ford customer service and submitted my car as a buy back claim. Waiting for the regional manager to call me back to discuss options. There is no point in trying to switch into another explorer. I am done dealing with this situation. It's obviously a defect with the car. I am going to demand a full refund. It would be nice since they acknowledge the problem and the fact that they can't fix it, if I didn't have to go through the whole lemon law process but I am prepared to do so if necessary.

Feel lucky you can get out and move on. Good luck with your next vehicle...........whatever that may be. If you find the perfect one please come back and let us all know.

......I put in a call to Ford customer service and submitted my car as a buy back claim. Waiting for the regional manager to call me back to discuss options. There is no point in trying to switch into another explorer. I am done dealing with this situation. It's obviously a defect with the car. I am going to demand a full refund. It would be nice since they acknowledge the problem and the fact that they can't fix it, if I didn't have to go through the whole lemon law process but I am prepared to do so if necessary.
There are many Explorers that do not have the 'smell' issue. Mine didn't. As for a full refund, I doubt that will happen. I believe even with the Lemon Law buy back, you get dinged for mileage. Best of luck.

Peter

If you are in CA - a Lemon Law Lawyer usually can assist - that said its all a pain

I Lemon Lawed my F350 with the 6.0 - I got it paid off completely by Ford - No Loss of money, but I also proved the issues existed since day one.

Finally got mines fixed. I would always get an odor thru vent after driving about 20 min and coming to stops. Also an odor throughout garage when parking at home. Turns out my transfer case failed and was leaking fluid unto exhaust pipe.

I initially had the microwaved garbage/chemical smell but I now no longer have it. I took another member's advice and drove the Sport quite hard (City Driving) for (2) weeks. All that hot exhaust seemed to burn out anything left in the exhaust system. It was thought that the muffler packing material was the problem by the member's post/reasoning I alluded to above. And I'm glad it's not an issue on my Sport anymore. It being in the mid 90's for the last (2) weeks and me running the Sport hard, (after break in of course) really has worked for me. Others here have reported doing the same "run hard" technique with success here too. And I'm elated as I really am blessed to have this Sport. It's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned some nice ones. But this is just my experience. I hope the same works out for others here!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I initially had the microwaved garbage/chemical smell but I now no longer have it. I took another member's advice and drove the Sport quite hard (City Driving) for (2) weeks. All that hot exhaust seemed to burn out anything left in the exhaust system. It was thought that the muffler packing material was the problem by the member's post/reasoning I alluded to above. And I'm glad it's not an issue on my Sport anymore. It being in the mid 90's for the last (2) weeks and me running the Sport hard, (after break in of course) really has worked for me. Others here have reported doing the same "run hard" technique with success here too. And I'm elated as I really am blessed to have this Sport. It's my favorite vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned some nice ones. But this is just my experience. I hope the same works out for others here!!!

You might be on to something here, what's your mileage now? I have noticed with mine the more its driven hard the less it smells (per drive). Meaning if you drive it hard all day it will smell the worst in the beginning. My problem is this isn't my daily driver so it gets driven pretty easy most of the time.

Back