Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 59 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Thanks, I'll remember to tell my wife and small children that eventhough Daddy spent $48,000 of their Disneyland fun money on a defective car, 99% of the other owners aren't as fortunate as us. My 3 year old is getting pretty quick with the windows. When Daddy says, "I'm hitting it" everyone knows to open the windows for a couple minutes. My 9 month old still can't reach but he's quickly learning to plug his nose.

Dont you just love it when you are told **** like that, When they tell you this is the first we have seen of this or no one else has this problem.Im tired of hearing that. GETTING ANY EXHAUST IN THE CABIN OF ANY VEHICLE is NOT NORMAL PERIOD.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got a call from my ford dealer yesterday and since ford thinks its normal for your own cars exhaust to come in your car my dealer is willing to spend there own money to try and fix this problem. It is sad for ford to not care about its customers getting sick from driving one of there vehicles because the cars own exhaust is coming in the passenger cabin,yes ford the exhaust from my edges exhaust pipes is coming in the cabin this is NOT normal as you say,so my dealer is willing to spend there own money to try and fix your problem ford,ford does not care about me and my families safety and you losing a customer.At least my dealer is willing to try and maybe keep a customer maybe.

2011 EXP LTD BD 06/02/2011. 1000 miles.

Burnt oil smell during hard acceleration. This is easily repeatable and
happens every time.

Well now we have another confirmed issue with my LTD. Under hard accelerations
coming from an on ramp and merging with fast moving
traffic only. Other wise, all you smell is the new leather in the cabin.

Accelerating normally, no smell. You have to accelerate at 3500 to
5000 rpm for this to occur. A/C is on, does not matter if climate is
set to "recirculation" or if set to vent outside air. If anything, it is
more acute if vent is set to "recirc".

I am assuming the vent door blend system on this vehicle is operated via
vacuum created by the intake manifold and piped through the firewall
to a distribution block some where under the dash. As it takes a couple
of seconds for the doors to move when changing climate settings.
If this is true there could be an issue on how the vacuum lines were
run during factory assembly, or a bad one way vacuum check valve
causing some of the crank case fumes (intended to be recirculated
back into the intake manifold to be re-burnt as part of this vehicles emissions solution),
to enter the vacuum tubing being routed to the cabin for blend door operation.

But even then, there would probably have to be a loose vacuum tube somewhere
under the interior's dash to allow the fumes to leak into the
cabin air.

This only occurs under hard acceleration when very high amounts
of vacuum are generated by the intake manifold.

Of course, I could be way off base and blend door activation could be
electrically driven, but most car makers use a vacuum system, and
have not had the opportunity to discuss this with the
service team yet, but will tomorrow when I take in to have the suspension
popping noise diagnosed. Apparently they will need to keep it all day for
that, so they can also take a look at the vacuum line routing,
check valve operation and the EGR tube routing to see if every thing looks correct.

I have found during searching this forum, that others have experienced this
also. But have seemed to write it off as the vehicle just burning off some
under coating over spray or something vague like that. But if that were the issue,
you would smell it all the time once the vehicle systems warmed up to operating temperatures.
And the smell should be much less when not venting air from the outside of the vehicle and
somewhat more when climate control is
set to "vent" and you are venting air from the outside.

We will have to see what the service team can come up with.
I have a 2011 explorer limited with 38k and have had this same problem since it was brand new. Been into the dealer a couple of times and they cannot find anything. I just live with it. When I have to accelerate hard I crack a couple of the windows to clear out the smell.

Just a side note. My buddy's 2013 F-150 with the new 5.0 motor has the same smell under hard acceleration that we have. He has about 6K miles on it, he floored it getting on the highway a few times last I rode with him and sure enough the same exact smell we smell in our EX's.

Between the EX, Freestyle, Edge and now a F-150 I know of, it has to be something to do with the way Ford builds their drivetrains.

Just like shellguy, I just live with the smell but thought it was interesting it is across Ford's lineup.

I have smelled worse odors in cars over the years.

If that smell is so crucial to your lively-hood get one of those ambulance chasers to help get your campaign on the move.

If not, tough it out cupcakes and enjoy the ride.

burnt smell when accelerating 2012 explorer

HI all,

I am getting a burnt smell when accelerating in our 2012 explorer.. have over 50k miles... seems to be getting worse now... anyone get this resolved? is it safe? wife & I are driving to FL from MA (1500 miles one way) virtually non stop... starting to get nervous now.... any help is greatly appreciated....

I have smelled worse odors in cars over the years.

If that smell is so crucial to your lively-hood get one of those ambulance chasers to help get your campaign on the move.

If not, tough it out cupcakes and enjoy the ride.

Putting up with a smell is one thing but putting up with exhaust fumes coming from my own exhaust and into the cabin is totally different,Ford tells me this is normal but Im willing to bet no one else has this problem, I have owned a lot of vehicles in my life and none of them did this,even old rusted junkers didnt do this.I should not have to hire a lawyer Ford should man up and fix it or make it right somehow.A Smell I can live with but exhaust from my edges own exhaust pipes coming in the cabin and making me and the wife sick no,and the lemon lay is worthless,lose way to much money.

Putting up with a smell is one thing but putting up with exhaust fumes coming from my own exhaust and into the cabin is totally different,Ford tells me this is normal but Im willing to bet no one else has this problem, I have owned a lot of vehicles in my life and none of them did this,even old rusted junkers didnt do this.I should not have to hire a lawyer Ford should man up and fix it or make it right somehow.A Smell I can live with but exhaust from my edges own exhaust pipes coming in the cabin and making me and the wife sick no,and the lemon lay is worthless,lose way to much money.
Are you also posting this on a Ford Edge forum? If not, I think you should be and perhaps others there will have something to say or add. BTW, I don't believe you are the only one with exhaust fumes in the cabin.

Peter

To everyone with this issue here is my story. 2013 Ford Explorer XLT, took it in a total of 3 times, finally 3rd dealership performed TSB, issue vey persistent. Entered BBB Auto line Process, Ford defaulted on mediation, proceeded in to arbitration Arbitrator test drove vehicle smelled the smell. Arbitrator requested technical expert inspect vehicle. Inspector came drove and inspected vehicle. Could not pin point smell, but definetly said that it was not normal. Arbitrator made decision to let Ford attempt repair AGAIN. I am getting an Attorney to start a class action lawsuit. WHY? You may ask, my son has serious breathing/asthma issues. Since I have had this car he has been on his inhaler every 4 hours and has had bronchitis 5 times. Upon research, it is proven that the chemicals in exhaust affect small children and those with lung issues more than anyone. It is very disappointing that FORD does not stand behind their vehicles.

UPDATE: May 30, 2014
Took the vehicle into FORD again just as arbitrator awarded. They "couldn't duplicate" the smell, FORD wanted to blam me for not coming and driving the vehicle for them. I submitted a request for reconsideration to the arbitrator of his decision. And he overturned his original decision. FORD HAS TO REPURCHASE MY VEHICLE.

To everyone with this issue here is my story. 2013 Ford Explorer XLT, took it in a total of 3 times, finally 3rd dealership performed TSB, issue vey persistent. Entered BBB Auto line Process, Ford defaulted on mediation, proceeded in to arbitration Arbitrator test drove vehicle smelled the smell. Arbitrator requested technical expert inspect vehicle. Inspector came drove and inspected vehicle. Could not pin point smell, but definetly said that it was not normal. Arbitrator made decision to let Ford attempt repair AGAIN. I am getting an Attorney to start a class action lawsuit. WHY? You may ask, my son has serious breathing/asthma issues. Since I have had this car he has been on his inhaler every 4 hours and has had bronchitis 5 times. Upon research, it is proven that the chemicals in exhaust affect small children and those with lung issues more than anyone. It is very disappointing that FORD does not stand behind their vehicles.

Just got off the phone with my service manager and he spoke with a Ford Engineer who said that this is a known issue and is being addressed and a fix is slated for end of May.....

Mine is brand new and does the same thing. Hopefully it will be a recall!

Mine is brand new and does the same thing. Hopefully it will be a recall!

If anything, it would come out as TSB, not a recall. Not everyone is experiencing this issue including me....

For all of you fraidy cats out there that keep stomping on the gas pedal with a wide open throttle stating that they are concerned about their precious little children and family....stop driving like idiots with a wide open throttle so often, speed kills too you know.....entering onto a major highway is really the only place I can think of where you may need to really stomp on it and how many times a day would anyone be doing that?

Just got off the phone with my service manager and he spoke with a Ford Engineer who said that this is a known issue and is being addressed and a fix is slated for end of May.....

Fat chance, an oh, checks in the mail.....ya, right.....this problem has been there since the start of the 5th gen vehicles. Ford does not really care.......Plum

If anything, it would come out as TSB, not a recall. Not everyone is experiencing this issue including me....

For all of you fraidy cats out there that keep stomping on the gas pedal with a wide open throttle stating that they are concerned about their precious little children and family....stop driving like idiots with a wide open throttle so often, speed kills too you know.....entering onto a major highway is really the only place I can think of where you may need to really stomp on it and how many times a day would anyone be doing that?

You do not have to go full throttle te get the smell genius, that's just the sure way to tell if your car has this issue or not. Obviously lots of people are having this problem, People who down play this issue are annoying as gnats.

I have this issue-I am downplaying it...When I smell it-it makes me breathe in deeper and deeper! I love the smell of 3.5L Twin Turbo exhaust in the morning!

Hi gang,

Thank you to those who have already reached out to me. If you are experiencing this concern and you haven't sent me your info, please PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can check out ways to help.

Crystal

Hi gang,

Thank you to those who have already reached out to me. If you are experiencing this concern and you haven't sent me your info, please PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership so I can check out ways to help.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal and everyone else.(Crystal, sending you PM now with my info.)

Shame we have to fight for something so easily known.

I am at the dealership now (Hilltop Ford - Richmond California) - brought it in primarily for the smelly smell, and chipped/missed paint on the sport wheels. I did a roadtest with a tech and he noticed the smell pretty soon after a good acceleration and merge onto the freeway up to about 80mph. He mentioned he hadn't smelled that before but it smelled like epoxy to him. I haven't read every page of this thread but figured I would throw that out in to see if ti jives with what anyone else has been told.

Since it is so easy to reproduce across a a relatively large population of these vehicles, seems like someone in ford would be able to figure out a fix... Now that I read that it potentially happens across vehicles with different engines and drivetrains, seems even easier to narrow down commonalities in parts/manufacturing processes to diag the culprit. It obviously isn't a phantom issue that comes and goes....anyway, I digress!

They are currently doing an inspection and reporting to some ford tech line. At this point, sounds like all they can do unless they spot something seemingly obvious during inspection. Don't expect to get this solved today but hopefully when I walk back over there from my lunch they will have some sort of positive news for me...based on the experience of other owners here though, not expecting much but you never know!

Will report back later with their findings, if any.

Thanks Crystal and everyone else.(Crystal, sending you PM now with my info.)

Shame we have to fight for something so easily known.

I am at the dealership now (Hilltop Ford - Richmond California) - brought it in primarily for the smelly smell, and chipped/missed paint on the sport wheels. I did a roadtest with a tech and he noticed the smell pretty soon after a good acceleration and merge onto the freeway up to about 80mph. He mentioned he hadn't smelled that before but it smelled like epoxy to him. I haven't read every page of this thread but figured I would throw that out in to see if ti jives with what anyone else has been told.

Since it is so easy to reproduce across a a relatively large population of these vehicles, seems like someone in ford would be able to figure out a fix... Now that I read that it potentially happens across vehicles with different engines and drivetrains, seems even easier to narrow down commonalities in parts/manufacturing processes to diag the culprit. It obviously isn't a phantom issue that comes and goes....anyway, I digress!

They are currently doing an inspection and reporting to some ford tech line. At this point, sounds like all they can do unless they spot something seemingly obvious during inspection. Don't expect to get this solved today but hopefully when I walk back over there from my lunch they will have some sort of positive news for me...based on the experience of other owners here though, not expecting much but you never know!

Will report back later with their findings, if any.

Back from dealer, not a whole lot happened but the ball is rolling.
The dealer has escalated the issue to some Engineering hotline and awaits answer for next steps. They did an inspection and noted no obvious issues or causes. As a side note, they also took pictures of the rims missing paint/chips/smudges and sent that to Ford corp as well for further eval and next steps. I suppose I should hear something back on both fronts in the next few days - we'll see. Crystal also has made a case with our regional service rep - hopefully that will help as well. Much appreciated Crystal!

I'll update as we progress.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People who down play this issue are annoying as gnats.

Perhaps!....but my EX doesn't exhibit the smell. Enjoy your fumes my friend!!!:mattmoon::fart::mattmoon::fart:

Back