21Robbie21 SAS | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bmxking5 said:
We started notching the front crossmember tonight after we cleaned all of the parts. What are the cons to not running shackles, and just having hangers front and rear of the springs?? I think James (JS91X) said that 034x4 did it, but can't remember for sure.

The cons woud be a terrible ride and zero flex....leafs need a shackle in order to function properly. They need on side that is fixed and the other side that is capable of moving with the leafs through their range of motion.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

034x4 doesnt run them at all he has 2 spring hangers and look at his flex !!!

JS91X said:
034x4 doesnt run them at all

sure he does.

no shackles would suck bad. 034x4's setup is basically the same concept as a really long shackle without having the fang look.

e4236f2a.jpg
my mistake he runs some shackles off of a spring hanger

ok been working on painting the axle, then i come to read IZwack making fun of section for painting stuff he has to weld and im like damnit, so im sanding some parts back off, as bryan said i started mimicking section525's crossmember tuesday night and he might be hooking me up with some hangers too. IZwack is probably going to sell me his 7leaf grand waggy pack, im trying to piece together the stuff i need for the 5x5.5 conversion and im reading back through you guy's replies, and do i have to have flat top knuckles to do this? or just new hub/rotors and small spindles, today i went junkin and picked up a first gen steering box ( i was looking for some waggy leaves, no luck) but i did find a 78 bronco with complete HP d44 and 9inch if anyone is interested in paying me i will pull one of these? i didnt event check, do those have flat tops and those spindle wouldnt work right? pics tommrow, we all love a little eye candy, even of dirty old parts.

No you dont have to have histeer knuckles to convert to 5 on 5.5 The stock wagoneer knucles will still work. However when run leafs in a spring over manner it is hard to get the drag link to clear the passanger side leaf through the whole range of travel with out building a bent up drag link that looks pretty getto and isnt the safest best way to do it in my opinion.

The ford bronco wont have histeer knuckles. Ford uses a 5 bolt spindle while the jeep/chevy uses a 6 bolt spindle. You need knuckles off of older chevys for the histeer arms. I forget the casting number you need but I have posted links to the website in the past that has them listed.

You could however grab everything from the knuckles out including the outer axleshaft off the bronco housing and put them on your waggoneer axle. this will give you your 5 on 5.5 lug pattern. However if you do that then the only way to go histeer later on is to buy aftermarket knuckles cause the ford histeer knuckles are very rare and hard to find.

he might be hooking me up with some hangers too. QUOTE said:
You like those hangers too huh?? I told him Id pay good money for a set;)

ok im not going to take anything off of that bronco axle, id rather just buy new rotors, hub and spindles, but im going to try and piece all of these together cheaply, but if i cant ill give in to that $360 conversion kit on ebay, im going to try the custom bent drag link on the inverted t stock setup(still looking for) and see how it works before i go all out hy steer, just for money sake. :exporange

Ya section's hanger are nice, plus its often times easier to dish out a little cash for a finished product, then do it yourself. :cool:

i just sent IZwack the money for the grand waggy 7leaf spring packs. ;)

1st gen steering box
100_0293.jpg

Gift from izwack :) 7pack grand waggy leaves(need some cleaning)
100_0294.jpg

100_0295.jpg

100_0296.jpg

First coats of paint, needs some more, i had to bring it in when it was raining the other day.
100_0297.jpg
100_0298.jpg

first steps on my crossmemer(section like)
100_0299.jpg
100_0300.jpg

21robbie21 said:
Gift from izwack :) 7pack grand waggy leaves(need some cleaning)
I forgot to mention this, I left a little present on one of those leaf packs for ye - theres a nice spider web in one of the bushing's center.. nice and white - pack full of baby spiders just waiting to crawl into your nostrils - to lay more babies. :confused:

Robbie, are you goin to go SOA or leaf the axle spring under? Just wondering because you already have it painted. Also, are you planning on removing and of the leafs from the pack or leave it as it is?

Yes im planning on making it spring over, i previously stated i was an idiot for painting it before welding it and that i would have to sand it back done, The leaves are pretty thin, so im going to try all of them and if its too much lift then ill just take my BL off not a leaf out.

Its comin along cant wait until us Ga Boys can go Froadin

Alright im going to order all these parts in the next few days unless anyone has input of why i shouldn't. And do you think its worth an extra $70 for slotted rotors?
im geting these off of ebay
9f_1.jpg
5x5.5 conversion kit includes new spindles rotors hub housing 4 wheel bearings and two seals $322 +shipping and/or + $70 for slotted and drilled.
kit

51_1.jpg

$75.99 Warn premium manual hubs

$23.15 stock wagoneer calipers ($15 back for old calipers.)

$26.13 spicer dana ujoint

wait, it says "ultra slot rotors". What are those? drilled and slotted or just slotted? Drilled rotors can/will crack. They will hate being hot and then getting dipped into Suwanee Creek :nono:

I wouldnt spend an extra $70 for the drilled/slotted - Id spend that on crack.. wait i mean filling up the cracks on the walls.

Alright IZ ;) OK bryan theyre just slotted smarty pants
e1_1.jpg

Up to you I guess. I like my Powerslots, but I have no clue what it would've stopped like with regular rotors on there.

not that I have room to talk... but you don't know what it will stop like with them yet either!!

As far as the rotors, personally, I'd spend the cash on something else. I just don't believe that slotted rotors make a real difference on a normal vehicle like an Explorer. Bring over your plain rotors when you get them. I've got an angle grinder and I'm pretty dang good with it. I'll slot the rotors for you for free. Then again, its just money so if you have it to spend and you want them... nothing wrong with doing it.

Back