Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

Discussion in 'Elite Explorer Registry' started by vroomzoomboom, January 19, 2009.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. gmanpaint

gmanpaint It's Always Something! Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    MO MO
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Por 15 has a high temp aluminum paint that should work well. Spray or brush on applications.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. vroomzoomboom

vroomzoomboom Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS! Elite Explorer

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    98 supercharged 347 sport
    i will have to have a look see. thanks!

4. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Air dry cerakote ceramic coating. Liquid spray.

Or, you could even use a heat cure version in a junk oven at 250 degrees

Finishes

Searching the googles results in a lot of discussion for supercharger-turbo housings. However, like you stated, any coating will retain heat. Since black absorbs heat a black ceramic, if any coating at all, would be best to help draw the heat out.

Most radiators are manufactured bare metal for this reason. If Heat retention is of concern it is probably best left bare.

5. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    i would leave it bare, but i know what will happen over the winters when its parked and hardly driven as well as it will look kinda yucky as well. what i really wish is for your to use the same crinkle that you did on my grill.

6. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    Updates!!! We want updates!!!!!!
    Can you tell I'm hardly working at work?

• Like Like x 1
  7. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    Well......um..... I have the alum to make the box the supercharger will sit on. just need to drill the holes into it to mount the supercharger onto. still need to press the hub onto the snout. wish i could find some dry ice so i can freeze it, and head the hub up so it will drop on. however, at the moment, it feels like someone has smashed my face with a 2x4 and have a killer headache going on, so right now, i am laying in bed watching reruns of bitch'n rides. not sure if i will head out to the gas chamber or not later. i called into work. speaking of work, it sucks because they have or are closing the building down that i was in either today, or next week. was great in there. the parts i scored from there was insane! that sport that i posted a pic of a page or 2 back, i ended up getting the motor, trans and t case out so i was happy about that. scored some foxbody 5L valve covers, and double sump oil pan for if i ever want to put a 5L in a ranger, 2 head lights that i might try to put projectors into 007, and a window regulator, and motor for 007 as well.

8. Dono

Dono 347 V8 Limited turbo Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    00 Limited V8
    Oh man, sorry to hear about your headache. Although with the weather right now, bed's a pretty good place to be.
    So, are you going to be working outside if they are doing away with the building you were working in? That would make things, ummm, uncomfortable.

9. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    so i drug my ass out to the gas chamber for a hour.

59.jpg

60.jpg

traced the holes onto some paper, then put the paper on the alum plate. centred punched the crap out of the outline of the holes, then drilled away, then that was enough. had to go back in and down some cold and flu pills.

• Like Like x 4
  10. 4pointslow

4pointslow Explorer Torture Tester Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Looks awesome!
    Get well soon Tim!

11. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    still feeling kinda crappy today. after sitting around for most of the day pouting on how crappy i felt, i finally desided to head out to the good 'ol gas chamber and lose a few brain cells. i wanted to see how forward or backward the blower will sit once everything was said and done because that is the one thing that cant change do to belt alignment. which ment the metco hub and pulley must go on. how i went about it, i am sure somewhere there is a picture with a circle and line going threw it. btw, anyone know just how far back the hub goes? is it flush to shaft, or does it stick forward a bit? the instructions it comes with leave lots for the imagination, thats for sure.

btw, this doesn't work so shit hot....

43236067_2705649022992789_8682050361915080704_n.jpg
    after batting with that for a hour or two, i started to measure out how wide the box will end up being. inside edge to inside edge is 4 3/4 inch. i cut one of the plates i got for the back side. i knew that one would be able to sit in place and not mess with it.

43253612_291765894991163_4858417557276721152_n.jpg

was trying to use a little jb weld to hold it in place, but that ended up being a big fail.
    i ended up leaving my clamp on it, and just plunked everything on the mock up motor. its looking like the one i made for the m112 lol

61.jpg

62.jpg

so here is the part that will be a unknown. i am not sure of how much space i will have from the back of the supercharger and the firewall. also not having a garage to rip evil apart and leave it sitting over the winter also sucks, but its not something i having bitched about already.

63.jpg

next up was to figure out where the belt would sit.

64.jpg

65.jpg

one problem did pop up that i thought i had covered, but will have to rethink is the temp sensor and heater hose outlet. i wont have the room to spin it on once the box is welded in place.

66.jpg

i could leave it on, but fishing the mount and blower around it when its in the truck might be tricky. as it sits right now, i may need 2 people to put this in the truck. its getting a little on the heavy side.

67.jpg

looks kinda goofy perched up that high, but if i want a innercooler, it is what it is. it almost doesnt seem like it overhangs on the intake like the m112 does either (you would have to see it in person to understand what im talking about).
    so for right now, i will have to do a little more measuring, and cutting. there is a gap on the back side between the box and plate that bolts to the supercharger. i can cut a little off the sides at the front and slide it forward and still be ok.

• Like Like x 3
  12. 4pointslow

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Normally the Hub is flush with the end of the shaft but when customizing things we can change that within reason.
    You cant push it back so far it hits, but you can have it forward some if you need to.
    Just keep in mind that there would be less contact between the two parts and that is what holds it in place since it is interference fit.

So when you align and adjust everything make sure you would not have to move the pulley backwards, if that males sense?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    makes sense. right now the hub is about a 1/8 of a inch off. if its suppose to sit flush, i will have to press it on a little more. that way the supercharger also comes forward a little more, making a bit more clearance on the backside. yes, once again its one of those, if i can find a little space here and there it will be better off

14. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Knoxville, TN
    98 Limited AWD
    Will you be able to install the IC plenum by itself and bolt the blower to it next? That would let you more easily install the injectors and the plenum.

15. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    played around more with the mount tonight again

43950855_755206508157384_4829333138259836928_n.jpg

43952111_760441537625121_2941040974048002048_n.jpg

i do believe everything is now where its suppose to line up. i am going to take it to a local machine shop and have them tac weld everything into place, and refit it for one more time just to make sure it is where its suppose to be. if its off a little to the left or right, it really wont matter too much, its the front to back. if the belt is too far off that will be a problem, however, if they can weld it in the exact spot i have everything marked, it should be scary close, if not dead nuts. then once its welded i'll cut the holes in the top and bottom. want to leave them closed up for now. less warping for when its final welded vs if everything is open. once that is done, then i can measure how big of a innercooler i can stuff into it.

• Like Like x 4
  16. 4pointslow

City, State:
    Gloucester City, NJ
    98 2Dr,98 & 04 4dr xlt
    Looking Good!

17. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    so yea, im slack'n. its winter up here now, cold, crappy. you know. ive had to drop this for the moment. picked up a 08 ranger to flip so i have diverted most of my time (and money) over to it for the time being. evil has disguised itself as a igloo as well. 4point pulled something on me like i do to dono from time to time and sent me a link to a ford racing duel 63mm manual throttle body that was on ebay for cheap. i bid on in bu it ended up selling for double the opening price so i will watch for another from time to time. all that has changed with the mount is that its tack welded and seems to be in the place i need it to be. when i get back onto doing more on this, ill post up.

• Like Like x 2
  18. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Completely understand that. I wouldn't call it slacking. It is what it is, for us blue collar working stiffs. I'm in the same boat with winter and extra funds. Everything is pretty much shut down until spring and construction work picks back up, or I find some way to make some side cash, like your doing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. vroomzoomboom

City, State:
    selkirk, manitoba
    it drives me nuts because every time i walk into the shed/gas chamber and see it all sitting on the mock up motor its like its screaming at me to finish it. i am close to having it done, but....

20. gmanpaint

City, State:
    MO MO
    94 & 95 XLT's
    Understand that also.

I have had an expensive lawn ornament, sitting there for 11 months now, pissed off at me for what was done to it. I haven't told it yet, that I can't afford to get the operation done just yet.

21. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Tim, whatever you do is awesome as far as I am concerned. we got 3" of snow overnite and I just shut down over it.

I did get the driveway cleared off though. Cal it a day.

• Like Like x 1