Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you did remember to leave access to your fuse box....right?:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

you did remember to leave access to your fuse box....right?:D

yep, its actually pretty accessable. now i need to decide if we work around the stock dash when we connect the engine and cab cages or do a custom dash

yep, its actually pretty accessable. now i need to decide if we work around the stock dash when we connect the engine and cab cages or do a custom dash

think i know which way your going since you already have that swaggy center piece already :D

Just wanted to say great work on your X. Everything has come together really well even with a few set backs (I imagine that was a pretty scary experience breaking those spindles?) I'm getting started on my LT for my 97 Eddie when I get home in November.

One question for you - I noticed you plan on removing glass for racing anyways, but I was just wondering if you had considered any options for sealing off the holes in the floor when you did the 18" shocks initially (before the cage)? I want to bring shocks up through the floor, but I want it sealed off from the cab to try to minimize the dirt inside.

Again, great work! I hope to see it in action someday.

Just wanted to say great work on your X. Everything has come together really well even with a few set backs (I imagine that was a pretty scary experience breaking those spindles?) I'm getting started on my LT for my 97 Eddie when I get home in November.

One question for you - I noticed you plan on removing glass for racing anyways, but I was just wondering if you had considered any options for sealing off the holes in the floor when you did the 18" shocks initially (before the cage)? I want to bring shocks up through the floor, but I want it sealed off from the cab to try to minimize the dirt inside.

Again, great work! I hope to see it in action someday.

unfortunatly the holes for the shocks cant really be sealed tightly. the shocks move due to the movement of the axle so there has to be enough space left for that. when your ready for a nice lt kit at a great price hit me up and i can get you set up with one,

unfortunatly the holes for the shocks cant really be sealed tightly. the shocks move due to the movement of the axle so there has to be enough space left for that. when your ready for a nice lt kit at a great price hit me up and i can get you set up with one,

well, I know you can't seal it with like rubber grommets or anything, I was thinking more along the lines of boxing it off... I probably won't have quite as big of a shock as you, so I was thinking boxing the floor up about 6"x6" directly above the axle and building my towers under the bed... It would suck up a bit of cargo space, and I can pretty much forget about camping out in the back of the X, but if it keeps the dirt out of the cab while I'm bombing through the desert, it will be worth it.

What about sealing it up using something like a manual transmission shift boot? We even have a vendor that can make those things.. Maybe they can make one custom sized for your shock.

~Mark

What about sealing it up using something like a manual transmission shift boot? We even have a vendor that can make those things.. Maybe they can make one custom sized for your shock.

~Mark

that's a hell of an idea. :biggthump

~Mark

thats actually a really good idea. hmmmmmmm.

You're probably sick of me posting this photo Sean but I used this shrink wrap tape that hasn't peeled off the floor in a year and a half, it moves when it has to and the dirt in the rear is minimal.

I had a fancy design in mind, then realized if it works, roll with it.

Attachments

• fd_001_Medium_.jpg
    fd_001_Medium_.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,273

You're probably sick of me posting this photo Sean but I used this shrink wrap tape that hasn't peeled off the floor in a year and a half, it moves when it has to and the dirt in the rear is minimal.

I had a fancy design in mind, then realized if it works, roll with it.

i like it, good idea. and super cheap which is awesome.

One question for you - I noticed you plan on removing glass for racing anyways, but I was just wondering if you had considered any options for sealing off the holes in the floor when you did the 18" shocks initially (before the cage)? I want to bring shocks up through the floor, but I want it sealed off from the cab to try to minimize the dirt inside.QUOTE]

I used grout bags from home Depot to seal around the shocks. They are cheap and easy to install using hoseclamps. Sorry for the horrible pics but thats all i could find from when i had that setup.
Im really liking your build Carlover

Attachments

• aaaaaaa.jpg
    aaaaaaa.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,215

sealed

Attachments

• Picture 033SM.jpg
    Picture 033SM.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,917
  • Picture 021SM.jpg
    Picture 021SM.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,212

yeah lots of good ideas since i have alittle something in the works also :Cool:

BTW if all goes according to plan then i will be paying someone a visit tommorrow to check out my something something and leave alittle something behind :D

Catch my drift ? ;)

yeah lots of good ideas since i have alittle something in the works also :Cool:

BTW if all goes according to plan then i will be paying someone a visit tommorrow to check out my something something and leave alittle something behind :D

Catch my drift ? ;)

gotcha. ;)

ill have some good pics with the carpet installed and other things this weekend.

The progress is gonna be kinda slow after this. Buying a 95 Chevy 1500 for a DD/Tow vehicle so i dont have to worry about breaking the expo and getting to work lol.

ill have some good pics with the carpet installed and other things this weekend.

The progress is gonna be kinda slow after this. Buying a 95 Chevy 1500 for a DD/Tow vehicle so i dont have to worry about breaking the expo and getting to work lol.

If you haven't pulled the trigger I would buy a 96 or newer, I wish I would have known that when I got my 95 Yukon, it has the TBI vs. the MPI, lots more power and better fuel economy on the 96 & up.

If you haven't pulled the trigger I would buy a 96 or newer, I wish I would have known that when I got my 95 Yukon, it has the TBI vs. the MPI, lots more power and better fuel economy on the 96 & up.

Havent yet but im getting a killer deal since im buying it from brandon, plus the trans is a GM crate with only 20k with a full 100k warranty and the motor was fully rebuilt less then 5k miles ago. If i can get around 15mpg ill be happy, which i think i can. Im gonna do some digging and see if i can convert it to MPI or maybe even drop a 5.3 4l80 combo in it later.

Back