02 Sport Trac - 410Fortune: Its Mine Its Mine!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport Trac - 410Fortune: Its Mine Its Mine!!

Okay so I now have a 2002 Sport Trac, 4x4, Alpine white
114K miles

trac1.jpg

Looks good right?

WRONG Beat to crap LOL

trac2.jpg

I had helped my buddy purchase this truck about 4 years ago, he lost his job and could no longer afford the payments, so I had to take it back.

The truck was wrecked into a guardrail, it is now getting fixed at my mother in laws body shop, $4700 worth of damage! Holy cow!

the bad:
-$4700 damage from guardrail
-the SOHC has a slight rattle at start up and the trans has a 2-3 shift flare
-114K abused miles, not in my care!
-tensioner is dry/squeek
-oil changes were not kept up with
-front tires are almost bald, after wreck was driven for months before finally getting alignment
-windshield cracked
-side steps are rusted
- interior trim is peeling
- interior is trashed, stains, etc

this truck needs some serious LOVE (came to the right home!)

Plans:
truck will get a full detail from body shop, including complete removal of seats for cleaning
needs:
new tires, new interior trim kit, full tune up, trans flush, new fluids and filters
2" TT, warrior shackles out back
window tint
hodge podge stereo (this is our 4th truck for my wife and I so this trac will get hand me down radio stuff)

this sucker will make a nice toy hauler, family cruiser, back up truck to our explorer fleet! When the trans kicks the bucket this trac will be a 5.0L truck someday :)

I have ALWAYS wanted a Sport Trac, since they came out!
I didnt want to get one like this, we are making payments on this thing that we did not need, plus it was very sad to have to take her back from my best bud. Oh well she was meant to be ours I guess :) thank goodness for my wife or I would be in deep trouble with this truck, likely have to sell my 96 to make the payments......and that would SUCK since I built my 96 custom :)

Now the big question is:

will a 600cc 136 track snowmobile fit in the bed of a sport trac with the gate down? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have it backwards
Julee supports my addiction, heck I havent even been able to use half the tools she keeps throwing my way yet!! (have not even assembled my tube bender)

Also Julee keeps up with me just fine on land and water, heck shes got a quicker reaction time! LOL she rides a 1200cc Kawasaki jet ski and a 900CC Polaris snowmachine, if she had it her way the sport trac would actually turn itself into a sti or evo :) of course our insurance cost says no tickets for 2 years first, ouch! I have had 4 speeding tickets since I met her! LOL none for 5 years before that!
Trying to impress i guess, now I drive like grandma with sights set on a turbo car of sorts

she wants a SRT4 (used to own) or a STI/Evo (who doesnt), I am all about a 91 VW GTI or Corraddo with a Audi V6 turbo/AWD transplant :)

buy my s4 :p

sure thing! give me the winning powerball numbers and Ill be right over Sunday morning :)

it will be 2-3 years before I can get any type of fast car, I have to re-coupe my driving points with the fine state of Colorado
Thats why I am thinking good time to build something like a GTI or Corraddo, or heck, my first car was a 76 2002 Tii, I ditched the EFi and went with dual single barrel webbers, I loved that little bathtub BMW, would love to do a BMW straight six into a 2002! LOL I think the wife is leaning more towards a STI = we can drive it now and it doesnt need $15K of parts :)

We get the Sport track back next week! Oh man, can anyone say Torsion Twist?

...and then?

im surprised jamie hasnt bought another wrecked 5.0 explorer to transplant into the sport trac. i opened this thread hoping to see the words 'my 5.0 sport trac conversion thread'

right now we are debating what trucks go and what trucks stay
I love the Sport trac, I would LOVE to be putting a 347 into it right now with a built trans and T 4406 t case, but I aleady have a BII waiting for MAJOR work and $$$ and a 96 Explorer I have been piecing together for the last 4 years......the Sport Trac, and its $400 a month payment, are a HUGE headache right now..... need to make up more excuses to keep it, THEN we can drive it until the SOHC and 5r55e spit metal pieces out from towing way too many toys way too often, then I can do a V8 bolt in conversion!!!

or we can sell it for about what we owe on it and say goodbye, NOT SOMETHING I WANT TO DO, but parking is getting scarce, TM headers are still $700 and I cant bring myself to sell my 96 now after rebuilding it the way I want to!

I need to convince the wife that the Sport Trac is now her daily driver, hard to do when her FJ is so wicked cool!
So sime decisions need to be made, if I sneak in a window tint here,a sirius install there, TT and shackles there, I may be able to get her to drive it daily and give the FJ a break! FJ has 54K miles she has owned it for 20 months now, and it is PACKED full of work stuff, the Sport trac is just begging to be her daily driver...this way I keep the BII, the 96 and she has the FJ and the trac! Sounds great! LOL until the bill comes again.....

OH and you should see the Sport trac now, WOWEE we got it back from the body shop, they did a 6 out of 10 stars job, so decent but somehow still sucked up the entire insurance check (Shocker!) but it has been detailed and the body is 100% straight again, new glass, it looks so nice!! almost too nice to drive!!

i blame you guys for what i did yesterday.. i looked through the paper and saw a 2000 Mountaineer v8 for sale, runs, needs battery, $600. i thought to myself 'hey, it runs, its a 5.0L, who cares what the body is like for $600'. called, it had sold already. i really dont need another vehicle, then again my fiance loves my 97. i could snake in another vehicle for myself by leaving the 97 with her.

did you ever figure out the problem with that truck you bought and are trying to turn? the oil pressure problem?

yeah I figured it out the problem, LOL NO FRIGGIN OIL PRESSURE

truck makes me so mad no wonder I am ready to sell instead of swap :) LOL

ah well Ill get back into it shortly, plan to pull the engine out of that 98 this week, AGAIN

Sport trac looks awesome! but it just sits there......wanting to be driven, and its hard to bring yourself to drive a stock truck when you have a two trucks you built from scratch and a wicked ass 07 FJ limo cruiser wheeler rig thingy

so the solution is modify the hell out of the sport track until you want to drive it to! Or find a ton of reasons why you need to haul stuff to and from home, thats been working well too! WE DO DRIVE IT, just not enough

it is so handy to have, I think once we have our son (ANy friggin day now, geesh hes making us crazy) we will use the sport trac more and more, its a PITA to try and stuff strollers and pack and play's and stuff into a SUV when you have a big ol bed to use :)

I close my eyes and picture a beautiful 347 powered sittin on 33's lifted to the sky white Sport trac with a dixon long travel kit, custom everything, towing a 19" bayliner with a ATV in the bed....wife smiling, baby smiling, full week of road trip ahead! What an awesome vision, then I open my eyes and see a 114K mile, squeeky belt having, trans shift flare doing, stock looking track with bald front tires... its quite a ways from point A to point B and I needs some $$$ and time off work! LOL

Nice, new toy. Enjoy your free time right now, you think you are busy.

I can help you modify that ST check out the classifieds. I am selling my entire front end that will get 5" of lift for your 33's or 35's.. I can maybe deliver to you on my way to Moab.

dang sorry guys new toys forced the sale... Sport Trac is SOLD, wanted to keep it, but it was the 02 trac or my 96 V8... no way I am parting with my 96 I built for towing/family hauling so we sold it!! no more payments, it went to a real nice family in Kansas :)

Back