2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Sport Trac SAS finally begins

Dana 44 out of a 1989 Grand Wagoneer.

My plan is to get as little llift as possible as I dont feel like removing my body lift. So I am using the stock Waggy knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, and likely using new waggy steering parts as well and keeping it 6 lug.

I will leave it spring under as to keep the lift minimal, and use 4" lifted springs. Doing it this way will save me from buying high steer knuckles and a high steer setup. Is this best way, maybe not, but it saves me alot money and keeps my lift to around 5".

Now for those who are asking themselves why am I even bothering with this SAS. My reasons are that my Sport Trac goes through UCA and lower ball joints every other month, and I destroy tires in under 8 months. The truck just cannot handle 35's. PLus it will be way stronger than the IFS, and will flex much more than my IFS system.

If anyone has any thoughts/recomendations/concerns, I welcome all the help you can offer.

I hope money does not slow me down, but the cold weather might, either way my goal is to have this done well before Moab.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ummmm, this is sweeeeeeet.

Good work Chad. I think RockRanger was onto something when he made comment about 6 lug wheels being readily available as well. Whats the plan for the rear wheels?

Probably use 2" Adapt-It wheel adapters. I have 1.5" spacers on the rear now.
I am trying to use as many of the stock parts I got with the axle to offset the costs of the new rotors, calipers, locker, gears, wheels, and tires. I will also be selling the entire front end from my ST. THat will include the diff with 4:56 gears, 5" lift kit and Fox coilover shocks and related C/O conversion parts, and the the nice shiny rims too.

subscribe

Has anyone seen these Teraflex revolver shackles in use? It seems like they would allow alot flex using leafs. Or is the Explorer to heavy to use something like this.

http://www.teraflex.biz/products/yj-front-revolver-shackle-1.html

I believe that these are frowned upon. Search here and Pirate and you will see that they unload and pull the weight off your truck at the worst possible times. Keep your rear SOA and it's pretty tough to beat.

Say no to the revolvers. Just do the SAS with some decent leafs and go from there. I am willing to bet that with the solid axle up front and the rear spring over you will be happy with how it preforms. Flex is not all of it. To much can be a bad thing as well. Locked front and rear you will be able to push your sporttrac far. Any farther and then you reach the I don't care about the body anymore point.

Revolvers can be very unpredictable and people who use them are ridiculed until they leave us alone or change them. Stick with a set of boomerangs if you think your leaves will flex that much.

And the substitutions begin and the budget expands :D

You'll see what I went through- to do this you can save, but with this it will be better, and with this other thing it would be even better. Hell, if I am going to spend that much, I may as well get this other thing and poof $5000+

Well the stock waggy parts are over 200 so I figured another 30 bucks and I have better parts with better access to them.

Well the stock waggy parts are over 200 so I figured another 30 bucks and I have better parts with better access to them.
That's what we all say to ourselves to justify higher cost :). But yeah you're right on this one, $30 for beefier steering is a no brainer.

What would you be looking to get out of the front end (all you included)...I would always like to do a SAS as well but no hurt in checking out options... Just pm me thank you...

Neg -- Wagonneer axles are not flat tops:
axle_pickup.jpg

What would you be looking to get out of the front end (all you included)...I would always like to do a SAS as well but no hurt in checking out options... Just pm me thank you...

Not sure I understand what you are asking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back