2002 Sport Trac SAS

2002 Explorer Sport Trac

Engine:
Stock 4.0
Taylor 8.8 MM Plug wires
Screamin Demon Coil
XCAL2 Tuned
Zabtek Cold Air intake
Random Tech "Y" pipe with custom FLowmaster exhaust. A few cats have been removed.

Transmission:
5R55E freshly rebuilt
1354 Borg Warner Electric Shift
Modified Superlift front driveshaft
Stock rear driveshaft

Front Axle:
89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Dana 44 low pinion
ARB Air Locker
4:56 Ring & Pinion
Superior Chromo Axles
CTM U-joints
Steel braided 28” brakelines
Warn manual locking hubs
Parts Mike Highsteer arms with 1" spacers
Parts Mime highsterr knuckles
5/5.5 conversion kit

Rear Axle:
Explorer 8.8 31 spline
PowerTrax Locker
4:56 Ring & Pinion
SOA conversion
Wheel spacer/adapter for 5/5.5 bolt pattern

Suspension:
BDS front shocks
Rancho RS5000 rear shocks stock height
Custom made 7 pack Waggy leafs up front
Stock leafs out back

Tires and Rims:
35x17x12.5 BFG KM2
Eagle Alloys model 951 17x9

Body Mods:
3" Body lift (may come out soon to allow for more suspension lift)
Clear corner lens
Sylvania Silverstar 9007 headlight bulbs
Sylvania Silverstar 9005 foglight bulbs

Sound System:
Kenwood head unit
(4) 6x9 Ifiniti speakers
(2) 8” Kicker Subs in a custom figerglass enclosure behind the rear seats
Alpine 4 channel Amplifier
Cobra 75WXST CB

Here is my build thread, I will apologize now for the stupid questions you will read from me..

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237526

There are a bunch of interior mods i did but this a SAS registry..

First was the install of the crossmember:
SASpics024.jpg

Then followed alot of cutting and grinding to get here, where the rear leaf mounts were installed:
SAS_001.jpg

Then a little more progress:
SAS_005.jpg

Steering was a PITA. Here is my Gen1 and Gen2 Hybris steering linkage:
SAS_036.jpg

Here is the Rack and Pinion steering cooler re-used and mounted to my crossmember:
SAS_009.jpg

More progress:
SAS_044.jpg

SAS_045.jpg

All this work to get here:

Picture059.jpg

Picture062.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Picture079.jpg

Picture052.jpg

100_1992.jpg

100_3485.jpg

100_1993.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Drives great at highway speeds, it is my DD. Although I think my tires need to be rebalanced.

Drives great at highway speeds, it is my DD. Although I think my tires need to be rebalanced.

Great! I love the work and how clean it looks. Great work! One year and mine will start. Got to buy the house first, wife says so! Can't wait, another benefit for me is I can unlock the hubs and the front D-Shaft and the T-Case wont always be spinning at freeway speeds seeing as how mine was AWD so the front Axle doesn't disconnect. I get a front D-Shaft vibration over 72MPH. BTW your sliders look great as well!

badass truck :D its just perfect :S i hope mine will be like that aswell :D

that is real nice!! :thumbsup: bout time theres another chad with a sweet rig :D

Hey man im pretty sure ive seen your trac on highway 94. Would that happen to be your trac?!

Hey man im pretty sure ive seen your trac on highway 94. Would that happen to be your trac?!

Probably... I dont think mine would be confused with another ST that has a SAS done.:) i am in St.Charles on the weekends when I go out and see my family, I live in So.County off Tesson Ferry. I always wonder when I see other Explorers/Rangers, etc on the road if they come here. I get alot of people pointing and looking at my suspension when driving around, seems like most people realize what i did.

yeah im pretty sure it was you. you were headinginto town west. i saw ur trac and i was about to follow you but i was heading to work. you dont even know how excited i was.

Chad -I cant remeber do you have front sway bar or just rear with disconnects??

Ok, cool I might be undertaking another 2nd gen Sas but I want it to have at least rear sway bar for road driving also.

Nicely done swap! :thumbsup:

Hey chad this is Jerry from the Sport Trac site. I'm considering doing a Long Arm SAS on my '03 in the next year or so, better or worse/ cheaper or more expensive to do that rather than doing the leafspring setup like yours? Whatta think? I will be doing no mudding, all trail riding and will bring it to moab in the future but it's gonna be my DD as well.

The long arm setup is nice, and will flex alot better then mine does. I will eventually re-do my SAS and likely do a 3 link setup or possibly a long arm setup. You can also do a radius arm SAS as well and it works very well. Brad/Bronco2guy did a radius arm SAS and that thing was sweet. Cant believe he sold it.

Any updates, Chad?

No updates from me. Work on the ST has stopped for awhile. It does just fine as it sits, so it will likely be when I get another vehicle and can park it for an extended period of time.

hey man, love the sport trac! wish i could do something like that but it would be wayyyyyy too much money for me lol. but i was just wondering do you like how your truck runs with it tuned? is it worth it or is it like ehh?

Back