Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Barack Obama linked 2nd gen. SAS

So let me first start with a quick introduction .. my name is Barack Obama and apparently I'm the junior US Senator from Illinois :thumbsup: . I love slow walks on the beach and bed-side stories. Yeah I'm talking to you big boy:

Barack.jpg

Okay now onto the goods...

So recently I've been starting a few threads all relating to my Dana 44 front axle and other tid bits - so I figured it would be best if I just started an SAS thread to pull all of those threads together into one centralize place instead of having them floating about the sea of other threads.

Follow me now as I look back on the threads that I've started:

1) Reading Pinion Depth Number In this thread, I was confused on which number was the pinion depth offset number of my ring and pinion set for the Dana 44. After calling up the good people of Randy's Ring and Pinion, I was told that the numbers on the ring and pinion are no longer used for the pinion depth offset. So I'm like wtf m8!? They did give me a number to start from and so thats what I started with.

2) Ford 9" For Off-Road Use In this thread, I ask the general public what they think about the Ford-9" axle for off-road use. Conclusion, bowties - the GM 14-bolt axle with the stock Detroit locker is a God's send and so thats what I'm going with (it comes with a pinion bearing support - just like the Ford-9").

3) RE SuperFlex Assemby I've never put together a Rubicon Express SuperFlex Joint so in this thread, I ask the public how in the world these things are put togehter. And to be more specific, I was confused how to drive the plastic bushings into the housing. Conclusion - use a press <- faaantastic.

4) Hi-Steer Arms 10-degree Correction In this fabulous discussion, we discuss the ever-popular 10-degree correction that is often placed on High-Steer Arms. In the end, I decided to go with the Sky-Manufacturing arms (although I never updated the thread I dont think - darnit).

5) Dana 44 Ball Joint Sleeve > Replace? Ah finally, the pain in the asymptote. In this thread, which I have yet to resolve really, the problem is that the upper Ball Joint sleeve has frozen itself onto the "C" (aka inner knuckle). The issue has yet to be resolved so no conclusion yet.

Well then, lets dive into some concepts and design ideas.

3link_concept.jpg

As you can see, the front axle is located via a 3-link with a panhard bar. Each link will be mounted to the chassis using Rubicon Express Large SuperFlex Joint. Why go with the RE Joint? Well I was quite impressed at how much JEFE's front axle flexed - so I decided to go with the same joint. I recently asked him whether or not he has broken the 9/16" bolts used to attach the joint to the chassis and he said no - a big :thumbsup: . The link's body is made of a 2"x2" - 0.25" wall square tube - similar to Clayton Off-Road's long arms. Currently, my calculations are aiming for the bottom links to be 38.7" in length and the upper to be 34.2" (figures may change). This gives me an anti-dive of about 105% but I will make the upper link adjustable vertically at the chassis so the anti-dive characteristic can be fine tuned. The bottom links are angled "toe-out" becaue the Dana 44 is a "Wide-Track" axle and the Explorer's chassis is about 2" narrower than the Wide-Track axle's ideal mounting points. The "toe-out" angle however is not severe : about 2" out for the about total 38" length. The two bottom links are attached to the axle via a regular rubber-bushing. The upper "third" link is attached to the axle with the same type of rubber bushing except this one is adjustable - to allow for pinion angle changes.

Onto the front axle itself: As stated, the front "Wide Track" axle is from a Grand Wagoneer (I believe '86). Currently, its geared 5.13 with open differential. I'll throw in a locker in the future after I get this running. The axle was originally running the Wagoneer 6-lug bolt pattern but, because the rear GM 14-bolt is 8-lug, I switched the Dana 44 to 8-lug pattern using parts from a K20 (caliper bracket from a J20). As for the high-steer arms, as stated previously, I decided to go with SkyManufacturing's standard arms with the 10-degree correction angle (arms are on their way from CA).

The steering gear box is out of an IFS Toyota and the entire steering setup will utilize only Chevy TRE's except at the pitman arm.

The front axle will be suspended by Fox 2.5" Nitrogen Air Shocks with 16" of travel.

The rear axle, again as stated before, is a GM 14-bolt with a Detroit locker. Initially, it will be leaf sprung using the Explorer's stock leaf springs (with an AAL and WAR153s). However, I do plan on going 4-link in the near future after the Explorer starts rolling again.

Now onto some newbie pics..

The axle the day it arrived from New Jersey:
axle_pickup.jpg

Before last winter came, I emptied an entire can of Liquid Wrench (and other llubricants) into the differential to soak everything down in preparation for the following spring.
d44_greased.jpg

When spring finally came, the axle was torn down:
d44_housing.jpg

New carrier and new gears. The carrier bearings below are the set-up bearings which have had their inner races grinded down for repetative installation and removal on the carrier while the pinion and ring gear geometry was fine tuned:
d44_carrier.jpg

Spring also brought wheeling weather and I got high-centered on a rock so I decided to SOA the back for fun (the thing on the back is my snowboard and bike rack) and had to get my driveshaft retubed because it popped in half:
soa_backshot.jpg

The caliper brakets from a J20 after sand blasting and a coat of epoxy paint:
d44_caliperbracket_painted.jpg

Flat-top knuckles from a J10 masked off and ready for some epoxy paint:
d44_knuckle_ready_for_paint.jpg

Inner "C"s on the front axle sliced from the axle tubes (and temporarily knocked out about .125" for easier rotation) to set proper caster angle:
inner_c_sliced.jpg

Chevy K20 8-lug rotors .. "Oh my Mr. Obama, what big rotors you have. Why yes Sally, I do have big rotors." :
d44_rotor.jpg

Chevy K20 calipers:
d44_caliper.jpg

And finally for now, the RE SuperFlex joints:
re_joint.jpg

As for tires, right now I have a set of 36" TSL-SX's I bought for cheap from a local individual.

So what's in the future? Well the rest of the link parts are on their way - as well as the high steer arms. The Fox shocks will be purchased in about 2 weeks and the 14-bolt axle will be picked up about 3 weeks to a month after that. The rear axle is the least of my worries so that's the last thing on this Senator's mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

subscribing

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just finally found this thread,

Hey IZwack, maybe we should start our own thread lik Jefe and RockRanger, but with Pepsi :D I know there are Pepsi cans everywhere in my pictures :D

I'd be all up in that thread too.

LOL it was the first thing i grabbed out of the fridge :D

But I prefer lemonade over anything else :bounce:

Few things came in this week:

1-inch heim -- this one is going on the axle end of panhard bar:
heim_gatorade.jpg

Link tabs for axle -- 0.25" thick - 0.625" hole
link_tabs.jpg

Rubber bushing -- used for chassis end of panhard bar and two bottom links.
bushing.jpg

Tubing - top one is 1.875" OD x .1875" wall for panhard bar - bottom two are 1.5" OD x 0.25" wall for drag link and link between the two knuckles. There is one tube missing in the image - the upper link tube - which is much like the two bottom ones except its tapped for the adjustable bushing below.
unthreaded_tubes.jpg

Adjustable bushing for upper link to allow proper pinion angle - 1.125" thread
adjustable_bushing.jpg

Knuckles painted with SkyManufacturing arms
knuckle_arms.jpg

Fox shocks are on the way and should be here on Monday (the 26th of June).
The 14-bolt axle has been purchased and I will pick it up on the Thursday after the shocks arrive (the 29th of June). I have no idea how I'm going to man-handle that 14-bolt -- I had a hard enough time moving a complete Dana44 around.

weirdo :confused:

You know who I havent seen online in a while - that freaking section guy

Oh well, going to sleep, work tomorrow - cyas

Looks like good progress, now get to work!

Where are you getting all of your links?

I'm building my links.

I didnt post a pic of the tubing I'm using for my lower links but I have them sitting in the back of my Explorer. They are 2"x2"-0.25" wall square tubing <-- very delicious :D

Along with other steel pieces, the steel for the square tubing links were purchased from Potomac Steel & Supply (http://potomacsteel.com) located in Springfield, Virginia . Great guys to work with there at the Potomac Steel's counter -- with huge warehouse you can browse (just dont take your kids to the warehouse - a few of the guys that work there have nudy pics around their work station).

The RE Large Joint were purchased from Performance Off Road Center (PORC on Pirate). The rubber bushings can be purchased from most off road places like Mountain Off Road (MORE).

Dewalt hole saws to cut the radius at the end of the links were purchased from Amazon.com -- they qualified for Free Shipping so it was cheaper to buy 'em from Amazon than buying them locally :D -- Yes even Amazon.com can help you with your special vehicle modification needs ;)

IZwack said:
Knuckles painted with SkyManufacturing arms
knuckle_arms.jpg

You painted your knuckles? How much more stuff are you going to paint before you build? Gawd. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dead Link Removed

section525 said:
You painted your knuckles? How much more stuff are you going to paint before you build? Gawd. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Dead Link Removed
LOL chill babe - chill . At least these painted items aren't going to be welded to :p :p :p :p :p

I'm not "building" until I get the 14-bolt so I have another week and a half or so before the actual build. The D44 front internals and "outers" are done - I just need to weld the tabs for the links and the shocks - which won't happen until I test fit the axle under the vehicular mansluaghter device.

I'm trying to build and finish the axles BEFORE they go under the vehicle - SECTION525 from Chico, California :p

EDIT: Ford 8.8 ABS ring gear came in today - thanks to kbabiak :D .
ABSring.jpg

So in order for the speedometer to work, somehow the ABS ring gear above needs to go into this thing - whatever the hell this is:
f9e6ca3a.jpg

(photo credit to JeepHorizons)

Of course the speedo will have an offset but I at least want a working speedo - even if the reading is off by a certain percentage :eek:

second photo no worky

zhanx said:
second photo no worky
Oh really? Dang - anyways its a picture of a 14-bolt's center section.

EDIT: ok I changed it to another image

works now

RockRanger said:
check out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146475

He used an upper link on the passanger side and it works well.

Also when you get rims with a deep offset the flip the rim which can make it a pain to mount and dismount tires.

I am not saying it won't work, I am saying it is not how I would do it. Leaf spring fronts with the shackle in the front have simular characteristics, and some stock rigs came that way. If you watch something with a shackle in the front flex, when the passenger side is stuffed, the drooped drivers side will start to point the diff down. This can cause some issues with the driveline angle. I am not saying it can't be done. It would make more sense in my mind not to build it that way though.

Link Calculations

Okay did some more link calculations tonight just to to over it again after the design change (switched the upper link to the driver's side) and I found an interesting result:

In order for the front pinion to be pointing at the transfer case throughout the entire suspension travel (and have decent anti-dive characteristics), the upper link needs to be longer than the lower link by about 5-inches :eek: Can anyone verify this concept?

It just seems mind-blowing to have the upper link longer than the lower link but there just is no way of getting the pinion to point at the transfer case throughout the entire suspension travel.

I guess this all boils down to the question, how important is it to have the pinion pointing directly at the transfer case all the time? -- keeping in mind that the front driveshaft is a double-cardan ? Because there are many that have ran linked designs with shorter uppers -- but my assumption is that these designs must not have the pinion pointing towards the transfer case at full droop because the links just don't seem to allow that. So perhaps its not important to have the two inline.

I guess I'm thinking that if the pinion is directly in-line with the transfer case- there is a smaller chance of breaking driveshaft u-joints.

EDIT: maybe I'm just being paranoid about the pinion angle at full droop -- Rick's and Michael's link setup dont appear to point directly at the pinion at full droop:

thaven_640.jpg

64DSC00002.jpg

Back