Burns SAS thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Burns SAS thread

Well as a few of you know my X was messeed up a bit due to a accident. so i have been looking for a new plan.
i have my axles (d44/ford9") all i need is to choose what i am gonna do.
i was thinking about thiS:
In the front i plan to use whild horse 5.5 inch coils,
1005_cut.jpg

for radius arms i plan to use this.
1425LO~1.jpg

they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms.i have the whole frame from a 78 f-150 that i plan to get the coil buckets and steering off of.
i want to use a 37 inch tire and use 4.88 gears
i dont see a problem with any of this so i need some info to see if i have missed anything

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

its about time to start

Thanks Froader i just got it back today and it was cheaper that i thought. the frame was twisted a bit but they got it all back in line. my radius arms, coils, and front bushings will be here tomm so hopefully i can start to get some work done.

this is it on the frame machine i took this monday. with my camera phone
frame-machine.jpg

this is it back at my house hopefully where i will do all the work also taken with the phone
back.jpg

i drove it from the house to here and its not too far and it was such a struggle the whole front end is way out of line but it does not matter

well today i walked in after school at one thirty and found three boxes in the garage. they are the coils, high performance urthane kit, and the radius arms.
all together
front-kit.jpg

this was just neat to me
front1.jpg

the radius arms are better than i first thought. they are mad very well and it all looks good. they are 12 inches longer that the stock radius arms for a 78 bronco/f-150. they are angled so the tires do not rub on a full cut of the front tires.
radius-arms.jpg

It was almost like Christmas!!! I was glad to see somehing finally goin right for this build. however it will be friday till i get to strip the X of the orginal suspension but i will have that done real quick. i am gonna undo all the main bolts and roll it all out at the same time. that way it will go fairly quick

When I was doing my SAS UPS was coming to the door almost every day for 2 weeks droping stuff off. Our neighbor asked me jokingly if it was Christmas with all the presents showing up. It is great feeling coming home from a crappy day at work and having presents show up. Now if my aussie locker would hurry up and show up I would be real happy.

what you doin wit your d 35?

i had 33s on it before but i am gonnna use them for a few weeks till i decide what to do on tires and gears then i am gonna tear the axles down for gears and tires

light.jpg

well it has all started the whole superlift suspension is out and i have my d44 sittin under there ready to make some measurments
no-front.jpg

this pic shows about where the radius arms will connect to the frame. i will have to make a new skid plate for the t-case but its of because i have to have a crossmember there because the radius arms meet the frame there.
side-sas.jpg

no-front-2.jpg

this is looking sweet

well it is really lookin better cause the tires are gonna stick out farther than i first thought. they are almost all outside the finders.

i meant you dana 35 axle not your tires

oh wow whoops well the d35 is messed up the outer casing is messed up because i hit a tocama at 45 and the front suspension and d35 took all the lick so ill have to see what is left on it to use. however i have one on a ranger that i got my 5speed and spare 4.0 out of that is for sale

ohh ok just askin i need all of the axle shafts and rotors and hubs if you have any

none of that should be bent but i have few spare parts layin around

ok just send me a pm if you wanna sell em im puttin a dana 35 together for my new
B II Project

ok ill pm u this week around mid week to see what all i have

today some work got done. the radius arms were bolted up and the radius arm brackets were bolted up to the frame for mock up. they have one bolt in them right now but will hopefully be fully done tomm and then the coil buckets will go on

first-try.jpg

well we first tried to bolt the radius arm brackets in the exsisting hole that the tcase skid plate bolted.
however that was ok but the front end it up two inches and i need is moved back to look right.
almost-but-not-right.jpg

just a little too far up i might try the back hole for the skid plate and see how it looks before i drill my own
needs-to-move-back-about-2i.jpg

you should push the front axle up some, especially with the 37 inch tires. it will help with clearance, plus it will help your aproach angle. it wont look goofy once you get the tires on it.

Back