Cybergasm's truck down... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cybergasm's truck down...

...his truck is on tow truck, chat back later....:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish I could be of some help to you guys but computer diagnostics aren't my forte either. Funny thing is I had a similar thing happen to me once on the way home from T-haven where my truck just shut down. The gauges were going crazy just before it happened and it ended up being the alternator so that might be something to check out.

If you guys haven't got a trailer yet the only places I can think of off the top of my head here in the valley are U-haul:thumbdwn: I know, not a very Explorer friendly place. Maybe you could get a truck and one of those car dollies there.
Closest U-haul to you is in Cathedral City on Ramon rd. or there's another one back in Indio on Hwy 111. There might be other rental yards around but you'll have to check out the phone book for them.
Good luck guys:thumbsup:

Edit: Just missed your post Tbars4...glad you got a tow.

you did a good thing there Ted;):thumbsup:

...thanks guys...i try...as far as i can tell he has a short in the harness somewhere in the dash...from the amount of aftermarket wiring we disconnected i think it grounded 2 wires together but i'm only guessing and ran out of time and ideas...
...after strapping him off the freeway in 2wd, i have a greater appreciation for my 4wd...:D

Yes tbars, i gotta commend you on a job well done. Not many people would stick around overnight. You've done good, my friend.

It is good to see that in people.

tbars you need a bonus in pay this year.

...i already got paid by an excellent trip at truckhaven with special guest and all...i guess the best payment was everything i've been doing to my project X all came together for truckhaven and it not only survived but i put 425 miles on her too...i know with this bunch, (cough) like froader and winter and others, i wouldn't be stranded there either ;)
...it might have been a whole nother story if the showers at the motel didn't work after all the sand we ate sunday, lol...:D

Hey ted, let me know when your elite status is up. I got your next payment! Because you are definitely elite in my book. I don't wanna get too mushy, but that is the kind of thing i miss about being military.....

...all i ask is for you guys to pass it on...it never takes all that much to help, but when you are stranded, it could mean everything, i've been there with no help before in a strange town...it's just part of the fun of wheelin'...;)

Well said. I'm gonna drink a beer to that and sit on my back porch and watch the fire....

Don't any of you have AAA:confused: I just extend mine to the 100 mile for things like this.

This going to sound stupid...but does it have gas?:D

Yup had just filled it prior to leaving the 76 truckstop

the cat can get clogged and it will kill the truck, my mom had that happen to her 89 350 once.

could'nt be this since it was all of a sudden and not a gradual loss of power

does that thing have the stupid flat sensor thing on the back of the disributor. Not sure but the B2 would't start when mine went out.

Nope no distributer it has DIS and no Cam position sensor either.

Start checking your spark and fuel, and track it down.

or just leave his truck in a parking lot for the day, and go home and get a trailer

Well on the spark and fuel i don't have either right now. And tried calling my buddy to have him pick up a trailer and come out and get me but right now he's busy this week replanting his customers yards for the winter time.

Wish I could be of some help to you guys but computer diagnostics aren't my forte either. Funny thing is I had a similar thing happen to me once on the way home from T-haven where my truck just shut down. The gauges were going crazy just before it happened and it ended up being the alternator so that might be something to check out.

If you guys haven't got a trailer yet the only places I can think of off the top of my head here in the valley are U-haul:thumbdwn: I know, not a very Explorer friendly place. Maybe you could get a truck and one of those car dollies there.
Closest U-haul to you is in Cathedral City on Ramon rd. or there's another one back in Indio on Hwy 111. There might be other rental yards around but you'll have to check out the phone book for them.
Good luck guys:thumbsup:

Edit: Just missed your post Tbars4...glad you got a tow.

Right now i think my plan of attack right now is to reconnect the EEC back to the harness and put the code scanner to it and see if there any life at all there and go from there.

as for the U-Haul ya know you cannot put a Explorer on a U-haul trailer????

And you all are right Ted was a monumental help in all this and I cannot thank him enough for everything he did out there.:thumbsup:

oh yeah in all of this there was one bright spot. When we were at a place called Ajax Auto recycling picking a new used computer. Ted went outside to look at there tire selection. he came back and said there was a bunch rancho shocks outside and the guy behind the counter told us if we were interested in them we could have em for 5 bucks each:D:thumbsup: and best of all they had the correct mountings for a 1st gen but need alittle modding to fit tho (have to remove the metal sleeves out of the bottom bushing)

So i got 2 nearly new rancho's for 10.00 :cool: not sure what model there are tho since it only has a rancho sticker on them. Might cross reference the part number stamped on em tommorrow but i think there for late model Super Duty's.

you can tell what ranchos they are (if they are real ranchos) by the stamping on the shock body. it will say 5123 or what ever, the first number being the series. aka 5123= Rancho 5000. Rancho's website will have the breakdown for each aplication and specs;)

...cyber, keep us up on the progress...i was also thinking about your flickering brake lites on 86, just wondering if something was getting pinched off when you applied brakes...:scratch:
...and if you wound up with my blue channel locks let me know...:D

you can tell what ranchos they are (if they are real ranchos) by the stamping on the shock body. it will say 5123 or what ever, the first number being the series. aka 5123= Rancho 5000. Rancho's website will have the breakdown for each aplication and specs;)

the numbers on the shocks are: 5c34-18045-pdd
also has c260x1 motorcraft on them :scratch:
is it possible that rancho's came as oem on the super duty's?

...cyber, keep us up on the progress...i was also thinking about your flickering brake lites on 86, just wondering if something was getting pinched off when you applied brakes...:scratch:
...and if you wound up with my blue channel locks let me know...:D

yup i will was gona work on it today but i got up late and had errands to do
but i might be in luck my brother in law used to work at a Ford dealer and apparently knows there electrician/electronic guru there so i am goona talk to him and see if he can contact this guy and see if he's interested in some side work...

oooohhh looky there right there on top of the dash :D I can drop em off Thursday can't do it today since it getting late and i have to start getting ready for work soon....

...don't make a special trip,lol..
...when you get your truck running we could do a shakedown run on the main divide and don't forget to look into AAA before truckhhaven part deux...:D

the numbers on the shocks are: 5c34-18045-pdd
also has c260x1 motorcraft on them :scratch:
is it possible that rancho's came as oem on the super duty's?

The newer FX4 Super Dutys had Rancho shocks and special red bump stops OEM.

If you had one of their trucks and a car dolly, they don't have to know what you're towing:p:

...actually, we didn't say anything about what was being hauled...trailers were not around at all nor were dollies, and i believe it had to do with the fires...we even tried finding tow hitches for his truck and those can only be bought and they said pepboys only...if we needed any other parts it would have been no problem but electrical shorts just flat suck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oops... :D

RearView1.jpg

Back