JoshC's SAS #2 | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

JoshC's SAS #2

I guess i'll follow the trend like so many others on here. D44, 9" full width. I picked these axles up late last year or early this year i don't remember and they've been in the garage taking up space. I've been gathering parts for a little while too.

So far i've got:
-Yukon 5.13's
-Quick Loc locker for the D44
-Full steel spool for the 9"
-Radius arms drilled and tapped to fit the lower ranger coil bucket so i can keep my existing coils
-New ubolts for the leafs

I think that's about all i've got. The 9" third member is done, we regearded it a couple of weeks ago. We started on the 44 and quickly noticed that the idiot at the local off road shop, which is no longer in business, sold me a low pinion gear set :mad: So now i'm stuck with this gear i can't even use :fire:

Here's what i got done last night and today

P1010791.jpg

I'm head up to the shop tonight to swap my tires over to my new rims. I think i may pick up a set of new radius arms, maybe something like the james duff arms like these

5350.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to have to come up with something different for a coil seat for the axle because where the coils need to seat is right in the way of the C's.
"C"s as in the inner knuckle?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

the coils seated stock on the c's.... not sure I follow you?

I meant wedges sorry IZ.

I don't know how they were stock because the Radius arms i got were from a a buddy who was going to put a 44 under his Ranger and bolted the radius arms together like you would put it around the axle and he drilled and tapped a hole in the very top and he was going to use the coils seats from a ranger so he could keep his springs. I haven't looked real close at that to see how he has it setup, but since i'm not using these radius arms and going a link set up then i've gotta come up with a way of mounting the coils without interferring with the links.

Well i went out in the shop tonigh in hopes of doing some work. All i got done was some measuring. I'm going to have to come up with something different for a coil seat for the axle because where the coils need to seat is right in the way of the C's. I'm not 100% sure what i'm going to do but i'm open to ideas. One i was thinking of is kind of like the D30. It's got a plate about 6 inches x 3 inches welded on top the axle. One the front side is the coil seat and the back side is the shock mount and on the bottom of the back side is part of the control arm mount. So any ideas?

I don't get what you are saying. On a stock ford Dana 44 the lower coil mount attaches to the top of the radius arm right over top of the C's... So I would hope the springs come down on top of the C's

Try browsing around the ruffstuffspecialties.com website, I've seen something like what you are describing on their site.

Well nothing to update really. I bought some new tires. 37x13 boggers. I've already got 2 and i just ordered 2 from 4wheelparts.com Just a note, if you call them you'll get a way better price then they have in the ads or on their website.

I think i've decided to keep the wedges on the axle and go with something i saw on PBB. I started a thread over their about extended radius arms and got several nice responses. Here is what i'm going to do i think:

See pics below.

I know i'd put a big heim on the end instead of using bushings and i was alsto thinking about shorting the lower link, you can see where he smashed it on a rock.

On that last pic you can see where his 37's are rubbing. He said if he redid them he's angle the tubing in towards the middle so it wouldn't limit his turning radius, so i think i'll do.

I'm also thinking that i'm going to price some aftermarket axle shafts for the 44 since i went to 37's, what do you guys think?

I'm also thinking that i'm going to price some aftermarket axle shafts for the 44 since i went to 37's, what do you guys think?
Good idea, since I busted a stock one with my 35s. :D

Link us to the thread, pbb doesn't allow posting pics on other sites.

Hey Josh, the images arent coming up. PBB doesnt allow you to do an IMG link from their server. I think you have to save them and upload them somewhere else and then link to those images on that server.

Yeah that's actually the first thing that came to mind when i bought those tires was the picture of you almost vertical on that rock with a busted shaft.

Hey Josh, the images arent coming up. PBB doesnt allow you to do an IMG link from their server. I think you have to save them and upload them somewhere else and then link to those images on that server.

Didn't know that. How's this.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 361
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 343
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 351

A lot better mate!

What do you think for aftermarket shafts for the 44? I'm going to run over the my local shop and see what he has to offer. I'll post his prices when i get back.

AT BRONCO GRAVEYARD you can get yukons(inner and outer) with joints for a '79ish f-150 for $375 and mosers for 5something.

Did some work tearing apart the D30 tonight so i can get that crap sold and start on my 44. Now that hunting season is over i'll be able to work on it some more. My buddy that helped with the gears the first time told me today he'd come back up and help me with the 44 install too. So after that's done i've gotta get it build with all new parts and then i'll be able to slide it under the truck and start the fabbing. Shouldn't be to hard i'd think since i've already got my steering box in and a trac bar mount in place. Just have to make my radius arms and mounts. Sounds good on paper huh?

While tearing the D30 apart, i found out why i only had 3wheel drive the last time i had it out down in Crozet VA. Is this bad you think? That is the last place i thought i'd would break to be honest. This is the passenger side that has the vacuum disconnect and that part lived through it!

Attachments

• P1010852.JPG
    P1010852.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 286
  • P1010854.JPG
    P1010854.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 279

Thats amazing Josh :D

Weld it somewhere on your Explorer to remind you of the good ol' days :D

I've also got all my old links too, so i've got several different sizes of Hiem joints to choose from. Where can i find the weld in bungs?

This joint is in 1 3/4 tubing, i'll probably use it for my radius arms mounts. Speaking of radius arms, the pictures i have above of the fabbed arms, how long would the bottom tube need to be you think? I don't like the full length as much.

Attachments

• P1010850.JPG
    P1010850.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 286

I'll make it my shifter knob :p:

I've also got all my old links too, so i've got several different sizes of Hiem joints to choose from. Where can i find the weld in bungs?

This joint is in 1 3/4 tubing, i'll probably use it for my radius arms mounts. Speaking of radius arms, the pictures i have above of the fabbed arms, how long would the bottom tube need to be you think? I don't like the full length as much.

I wouldn't use heims on my suspension links. I would use some poly bushings on one side and some Rubicon express superflex joints or simular. Since you already got heims on one end, I would use some superflex rebuildable joinmts on the other. You can buy the weld in bungs from a ton of places. Try poison spyder customs. Thats where I got mine. I also found a better way. A local machine shop built my last links. He threaded them on his lathe. Turned out super nice. Cost me the same. He even ordered my DOM in in the right size to be threaded.

Back