Moab 2016 | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Moab 2016

More work getting done.

Anyone got a spare steering shaft with u-joints?

17 days!!!

They sell a rebuild kit for those. You drill it out and replace with bolts. I use to carry spares because they rip over time with lots of off roading. I don't use this type of shafts anymore. I use my modified original 2nd ged shaft.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello fellow explorers.

My name is Leroy this is my first post after three years as a member. My wife and I will arrive in Moab on the 20th and will leave the 23rd. We would like to join y'all on the trails and for dinner Saturday.

This is Half Bad:
Attachments area

Attachments

• 2314.jpg
    2314.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 175

Hello fellow explorers.
My wife and I will arrive in Moab on the 20th and will leave the 23rd. We would like to join y'all on the trails and for dinner Saturday.

Great looking 1st Gen!! Added you to the count on Page 1, Post #4 . See you there. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Got er out of the garage and the roof rack put back on, just got to run up and down the road, and see if I can get her inspected like this so I can re register it. Would be nice to have plates on it for the highway driving we'll need to do. Other than that, and some time with the pressure washer, I think she's ready to roll!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 165

And agreed, that is a good lookin ex Leroy

Speaking of that point...

Does anybody carry spare drive lines with them on the trails, and if so, where and how do you store them?

Pictures say a thousand words if you have one, please share. I need some ideas. :)

:salute:

Attachments

• 20160501_202759[1].jpg
    20160501_202759[1].jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 154

thanks paul,birdy,turboexplorer,gmanpaint

Oh my goodness i missed this thread!!!

Kris, Kris's dad, and myself will be arriving thursday afternoon. we will have three people in our group for dinners and such.

Work on the mystery rig is finishing up. Only one page of to-do's left! unfortunatly, during a test drive last week, the direct drum clutches failed and had to pull the transmission friday night for an emergency rebuild 2 weeks before moab HAHA. also a little causality!

Mystery rig is coming along but we will be pushing the deadline! We expect to arrive thursday afternoon and leave out monday morning. Rig will be unveiled friday morning at central market :D

Attachments

• 13087862_10101808992237291_2048346060982535638_n.jpg
    13087862_10101808992237291_2048346060982535638_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 145
  • 13083287_10101810508219251_4567835639924214398_n.jpg
    13083287_10101810508219251_4567835639924214398_n.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 139

I do have an idea on how to stow the spare rear drive shaft after seeing that pic. :thumbsup:

Does it include POR-15 ? ? ? :D

No pics, but how about running some webbing on the rear seat brackets and snugging it right up behind the rear seats in the cargo area ? ? The angle of the rear seat backs creates a void so that you could still have boxes or action packers right against the top of the cushions. . .

As for me, I store "mine" in Phil's rig. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Paul
'91 Sport

That right there sounds like the BEST place to put spare parts!!

Oh my goodness i missed this thread!!!

Kris, Kris's dad, and myself will be arriving thursday afternoon. we will have three people in our group for dinners and such.

Work on the mystery rig is finishing up. Only one page of to-do's left! unfortunatly, during a test drive last week, the direct drum clutches failed and had to pull the transmission friday night for an emergency rebuild 2 weeks before moab HAHA. also a little causality!

Mystery rig is coming along but we will be pushing the deadline! We expect to arrive thursday afternoon and leave out monday morning. Rig will be unveiled friday morning at central market :D

It's always good to give a blood sacrifice to the rig now and again! And can't wait to see that thing!

Here's the lastest photo of the mystery rig :D

Attachments

• VAL8Z_19A412_A-20110812144306.jpg
    VAL8Z_19A412_A-20110812144306.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 149

Does it include POR-15 ? ? ? :D

No pics, but how about running some webbing on the rear seat brackets and snugging it right up behind the rear seats in the cargo area ? ? The angle of the rear seat backs creates a void so that you could still have boxes or action packers right against the top of the cushions. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Don't be jealous of my clean shaft. lol

I have a couple smaller pc's of E-track leftover, and will try to use them to tie down the rear spare. that lower back seat area is not a bad place, actually. :thumbsup:

It's always good to give a blood sacrifice to the rig now and again! And can't wait to see that thing!

Thanks man! I hope everyone likes it. When are you heading out? looks like kris and I will be the only texas crew heading out on wednesday morning. didnt knwo if you wanted to caravan?

Any moab swap meet?:D

Resurrecting this post here and adding to page 1, post #4 for potential Moab Swap Meet action. . . If you have anything to sell/trade, just add to the thread and I'll post it up on post #4 . Great opportunity to clean out the garage. . .

Birdy:
1) 4.88 gears
2) 8.8 axle
3) Dana 30 reverse high pinion

Joe:
1) Electric 1354 for free,
2) Saginaw P pump for a 4.0 for $60.00,
3) 35X12.5-15 BFG MT's 10 years old but in great looking shape set of 5 for $600.00 and,
4) Maybe a C5

Paul:
1) Set of 5 Toyo MT 33x12.50 - 15 tires mounted on Ultra "164" aluminum rims. Tires are circa 2008, some chunking, but 50% tread left, no dry rot. Rims also 2008, 5x4.5 with 4.25" of backspacing - - a few rock blemishes, but overall very good condition; $375.00 for 5.
Tire.jpg

2) Low automotive storage box "modded" to fit rear cargo area of 1st Gen Explorer. Fitted to Sport, but should fit 4 doors as well - may require additional trimming for later models, tan in color; Free (well, $10.00 to Kevin for hauling it to Moab...)
Old Storage.jpg

Paul
'91 Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man! I hope everyone likes it. When are you heading out? looks like kris and I will be the only texas crew heading out on wednesday morning. didnt knwo if you wanted to caravan?

We're actually getting there a bit early, leaving on the 13th. I wanted a full week of Moab this year! We should be leaving on the 22nd though.

Back