Return from Truckhaven turkey day 07 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from Truckhaven turkey day 07

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...just got back...drove out 75-80 as the truck was wanting to run on the open highway...;)
...limped her home doing about 60-65....grenaded a hub, spindle nut issue's, etc...i was just touling around and i'm not sure why it happened...my truck looked somewhat decent for the trip and i took pics on top of the bluff when i got there...it just got back to normal with all the wind we had on friday, saturday was perfect both day and night...
...the forum group got into lifesaving mode as a jeeper with 3 passengers drove right off the bluff at the notches, right next to the cross...
...more to come with pics and videos but we had a good time with the small number we had...a lot of folks were missed on this run but we represented well...the flags were a hit and harley's flag got noticed by a ton of people...thats what she needed, alot more attention, lol...:D

...btw, ask maniac about his saturday night run...:D

Attendee's

R.J. (both)
Mounty71 (and dad with jeep)
Diffwhackdaddy (and son)
90ranajo
Cybergasm
Maniac
Tbars4

Stop by's
Rockranger
Bob and spouse (a jeeper who says to tell Rockranger and bkennedy hi)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...somewhere between this picture...
1022687fn5.jpg

and this picture....
1022686bv3.jpg

...i wound up with this...
1022689uz1.jpg

and i wound up getting to do this on the spot...:D ...thanks r.j. for the pics...;)
1022705wj4.jpg

YES I made it home this time! :D:bounce: Made it all the way there and back had no major problems or breakage for what little wheeling I did get in after getting out there Saturday AM and after finally finding these guys:confused::rolleyes:

Otherwise a nice trip it was great to meet Diff Whack Daddy and 90ranajo and wheel with em! Although there antics are something to behold:p: Weather was so-so would have been better without so much wind.

Traffic was as bad as I would have thought for being a holiday weekend with everybody returning only saw one accident on the way back but other than that everything went fine.

Mrs. Zukman Flags were deliver and DWD is a happy camper again:)

Ahh well I am off to upload and post what photos I have.....

Looked fun!

What happened to the Jeep that went over the cliff? Did they just not know that there was a cliff there or was the cliff attempt intentional? Any injuries?

...now mind you i believe not only myself and dwd, could have made this climb that is before, 90ranajo pulled a tdavis on us and dug about 2' deep sand holes at the base of the rocks...:p:

...90ranajo stuck with all 4 wheels spinning...:D
thturkey07006ri3.jpg

...diff whack daddy's attempt...
thturkey07008hz0.jpg

Looks like you guys had fun :thumbsup:sorry could not make it:(

...izwack, where the jeepers stand and heckle by the cross, thats the spot...only this weekend was pretty packed and i would venture to say there were over 100 people right there when it happened...he drove between the vehicles thinking he was driving just down any of the aproaches, and when his front wheels dropped there was nothing there...he actually did a flip right onto the roof, square on it and that was with no speed...
...as for pics i think most of the guys from ef were attending the needy as the jeepers heckled and the crowd got huge...
...here is a pic from r.j. of the drive off point...our group guestimated it to be a good 20-25' drop off not counting the sand at the base which he missed...:eek:

1022649yf9.jpg

Looked fun!

What happened to the Jeep that went over the cliff? Did they just not know that there was a cliff there or was the cliff attempt intentional? Any injuries?

From what I heard was the driver of Jeep thought the ground ahead of em was solid and was looking around at other jeepers and such in the area. went off the cliff landed upside down and had absolutely no clue what had happen at all.
4 people in the jeep 2 or 3 of em were airlifted/transported to local hospitals

3 OUT 4 PEOPLE WERE WEARING THERE SEATBELTS THE ONE WAS TAKEN AWAY ON A BACK BOARD.

Remember to always buckle up!:D

Looks like you guys had a great time! Super bummed I missed it:(

Glad to hear you were able to help out the folks in the rig that decided to do a cannonball into the ditch:eek:

...i would wheel with ef members anytime and any place...;)

...it was automatic reponse from all our members to help...i was really surprised to see the lack of help from the jeep crowd as a lot of them knew the people that went over, and just stood looking over, chatting, and watching the show...:scratch:
...nothing against jeepers as i've met alot of great ones lately, but let's just say i am thankful it wasn't me who went over and with no ef members to assist...it was just a little bewildering...

...the first pic is a run from camp on top of the bluff to where we stayed friday on due to the high winds on the bluff...this was shot over cybergasm's truck while he was putting on his new brake lines...you will notice the canyon going up, it is now referred to as Show's hill...
this left body damage to r.j.s vehicle, 90ranajo, i got to play dribble basketball between all 4 wheels with a round rock the size of a 32" tire, and maniak, he made a pretty exciting evening run out of it...i ran up it this morning and maniak had definately reshaped most of the run...:D

thturkey07029wd8.jpg

thturkey07030gl8.jpg

the bluff is just directly to the left of this pic, up Show's hill..;)
thturkey07024qa3.jpg

...and the moon coming up over camp late friday afternoon...
thturkey07013sa5.jpg

From what I heard was the driver of Jeep thought the ground ahead of em was solid and was looking around at other jeepers and such in the area. went off the cliff landed upside down and had absolutely no clue what had happen at all.
4 people in the jeep 2 or 3 of em were airlifted/transported to local hospitals

3 OUT 4 PEOPLE WERE WEARING THERE SEATBELTS THE ONE WAS TAKEN AWAY ON A BACK BOARD.

Remember to always buckle up!:D

Both back seat passengers were taken out on backboards with C-collars. As far as I know they were driven out.

I have come to the conclusion that my truck has a curse...like the last truckhaven trip, the day of the trip my new gears begin acting up, so i only took my truck out through the washes once for a short run. (Still probably not the best thing, but i made it home in one piece, and i have a warranty). This didn't prevent me from having a great time with a great little group of people.

My dad also had a great time, and might even be reconsidering selling his jeep, also knowing how tough a jeep is even after a serious rollover. Seeing that jeep at the bottom of the ditch was pretty surreal, realizing that that could happen to anyone at anytime. With that in mind, Robert and Jim (RJ) and my dad and I took a ride in the Navajo over some whoops, as we crossed a road we hit a pretty big bump and caught probably 4 or 5 feet of air (from what i remember, i shut my eyes), and upon landing my dad's elbow smashed through the left rear window! That was the extent of the damage. RJ, don't feel bad, we know it wasn't intended and my dad's elbow is fine. But the second we took off, thoughts ran through my mind that probably entered the minds of the people in the flipped jeep too. Glad everyone from our group was safe.

And DWD and 90ranajo were a little inebriated Saturday night, so they allowed Robert and me to drive their trucks for a little night run with them as passengers, and Maniak following. The explorer pretty much drove itself up the hill and i just needed to point it in the right direction. Thanks Kevin for entrusting your truck in my hands, it was great to finally drive a 4wd truck myself. Then once we made it up the top we watched Maniak struggle to make it up, then surrender to the winch.

All in all it was a great time and i can't wait to do it again, hopefully with a fully functional problem-free vehicle.

P.S.- Tbars, it is actually known as Show's Hill, named after "Side Show Bob."

I just made it home. It took me 8 hours tog get back... but that included a stop at the supermarket Kyolanda xalled and asked me to stop on my way home).. traffic was decent.. only 1 accident on the way and since I cruised at 67 instead of 75-80 8 got 16-17 mpg instead if the 11-13 on the way to the run...

really nice thing is that fresh Tacos are now waiting more me.. I'm gonna eat some clean (no sand) food and then see if I can post the pics yonight..

oh btw.. they called off the chopper and the jeepers were tranported by ambulance.. (2 on backboards)

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bob and spouse (a jeeper who says to tell db1 and bkennedy hi)

Hmmm, trying to think who that is...don't know any Bobs with a jeep:scratch:

Looks like you guys had quite a crowd in the ditches, a lot of people out there in general?

Got some work done on the truck this weekend, I should be ready for next months run:D

Back