roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread.

roccov12345's 98 Mounty Restoration Thread. Back From the Dead & Finished

Well, after some thought and planning, I've decided to go ahead and start the restoration project of my mountaineer. I've been lurking through the explorerforum threads for quite some time. I guess I would call myself an amateur paint/body guy but we'll see how it works out. I'd like to say thanks to "MONMIX" for some influential chime ins and threads that I've studied and added to my book of notes. If you guys notice anything that I should change or attempt differently, just let me know. Constructive Criticism in my book is help, whether it's positive or negative.

I have about 30 hours in her so far and I'm sure plenty more to go. Well, on with the pics!

The Original, yes, those are aviator wheels.
IMGA0246.jpg

The start:
IMGA0154.jpg

LOL
IMGA0171.jpg

Stripped down...

DSCN1287.jpg

DSCN1288.jpg

<
DSCN1283.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

My kiddies...
DSCN1303.jpg

Little dent repair..
DSCN1292.jpg

DSCN1289.jpg

DSCN1294.jpg

Dent Repair Complete....
DSCN1299.jpg

DSCN1301.jpg

DSCN1302.jpg

More pics to follow from this past weekend........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks fantastic and looks familiar :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks very nice.

Wow! :cool: I shouldn't be watching this. Makes me want to spend money on my own junk! :p:

Ok, little by little......Last weekend.....

Passenger Fender is all done, front bumper is next.
SANY0130.jpg

SANY0131.jpg

SANY0136.jpg

Finally starting to get an idea of what it's going to look like.....
SANY0132.jpg

Front fender wet sanded and buffed...
SANY0134.jpg

Retouched up the rear
SANY0135.jpg

i love the stance!

Ok moving along..........All I needed was a few of these and a good nights rest and I'm ready to go...
SANY0152.jpg

Shaved the holes for the front bumper license plate bracket.
SANY0156.jpg

SANY0158.jpg

SANY0161.jpg

Wet sanding and fitting process...
SANY0165.jpg

Onto the hood.....this was a ball, it's deceiving when you realize how big that damn hood is. LOL
SANY0186.jpg

SANY0187.jpg

SANY0211.jpg

Onto the first door, woo hoo
SANY0239.jpg

SANY0245.jpg

Getting there.....
SANY0240.jpg

SANY0244.jpg

I didn't like the quarter inch gap that Ford usually produces the truck with so I tried tighten them up a bit. Hopefully I won't run into problems with the doors.....
SANY0243.jpg

Ok back to work...............

Just one helpful hint. Put the doors on before the front fenders. the bolts are a ton easier to access.

Overall that thing looks great! I hope to purchase my dads 99 5.0 mountaineer from him someday and give it a similar restoration. I will have some rust repair do deal with though.

Wow, just stumbled across this thread. Looking good.

Really nice work. No shortcuts that I can see. I can't wait to see your updates.

wow that mountaineer is turning out so nice, its gonna be one of the cleanest out there when its done. The engine looks great, what did you do to that little plate that bolts to the top of the intake manifold? I really like the black bumper trim in the back, i just think it looks a little out of place compared to the front being so monotone. same with the headlights. still tho, you are doing some great work! keep it up.

Very nice work, I appreciate how time consuming that is. Take your time and make it right, it looks great. Regards,

Ok, first I've seen this thread, since it appears to have been awoken... Are there any more pics of the end processes? This thing looks amazing... :thumbsup:

Agreed. I want to see progress. :D

Awesome pics....This is the first I've seen of this thread too..

Ryan

he's my friend on myspace- maybe i'll check that out

Your PM box is full Rocco--

and we need updates to this. Hibernation is no excuse--:p:

Alright Alright, free'd up some of my PM box, I would call myself a dousche (sp?) like I did last year for abandoning my thread but no sense in pwning myself.

Ok, started off 2008 with a bang, last weekend I was able to paint the center radio bezel, refabric the arm rest, air bag, and glove compartment as well as paint a few of the dashboard parts black to go with the black accent theme. I'll post some pics ASAP.

I was also under the car trying to figure out a good exhaust synopsis, Any idea's? Come on something different. Right now my cats are gutted, and I have no mufflers. :eek: I'm thinking about keeping the gutted cats, keeping it true dual, two muffs although I'm looking for a good exit with something different.....

Exhaust, move the rear hard brake line, the diff vent line, and two aluminum emission lines. They are in the path that a left tailpipe would run best there. The brake line is the hard one, not the line as much as the solid bracket. If you can get those shifted some, a left tailpipe would be easy.

Back