Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8 | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Scott B's 93 Ranger XLT V8

Ok, where did you get the retainers from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From Ford??!! Hahahahaha fat chance lol , if LMC has them I may get around to installing the mounts I bought 3 years ago.

Body Mounts Replaced

Today I finished replacing the 19 year old body mounts on the truck.

It would have been much easier if I didn't have to cut the retainers to separate them - there was a surprising amount of corrosion on them. :(

It is surprising how much higher the cab sits than it did!

The pictures show the new body mounts (from Ford) with the new retainers (from LMC) and the old, original body mounts.

Attachments

• Body Mounts.JPG
    Body Mounts.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 768
  • Old Body Mounts.JPG
    Old Body Mounts.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 786

Really busy weekend.

I have all the engine accessories mounted. The A/C pulley was very close to the remote oil filter, and the couldn't plug in the A/C compressor wire, so I moved the evap canister back to its original location which necessitated moving the oil filter.

I moved the oil filter to where the transmission filter was, and moved the transmission filter up on the core support (to be above the engine filter.)

Attachments

• OilFilters.JPG
    OilFilters.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 859
  • EngineSideView.JPG
    EngineSideView.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 861
  • EngineCloser1.JPG
    EngineCloser1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 887

Since the truck has been sitting the garage for 11 months, it had collected a lot of dirt/dust/pollen/etc. and spider webs, and was pretty nasty looking. I rolled it out and washed it.

You can also see the Yakima rack system I recently installed.

Attachments

• Wash1.JPG
    Wash1.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 853
  • Wash2.JPG
    Wash2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 858

Here's a shot from the end of day today.

It's getting really, really close!

Attachments

• IntakeOn.JPG
    IntakeOn.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,038

That looks very good!!
Once everything has it's place it is hard to move it in a RBV v8 engine bay. It would almost be easier to move the neighbors. Your stuff looks nice and tight. Great job-

...Looking good Scott...:biggthump

Looks fantastic, nice job:chug:

Thanks.

It is pretty tight in there - especially at the forward end of the engine. The upper intake actually clears the firewall - barely.

Can't wait to start this thing. Should be next week!

Very kool Scott, can't wait to see it next spring! Michael

Question for you. Is your ECU mount on the driver's side down under the brake booster? Was that the stock location for a Ranger? My '93 Explorer is in the passenger side kick panel. Yours looks so much easier for wiring up.

Ryan,

My computer is in the firewall under the brake booster. The '93 location (in both Explorers and Rangers) is the passenger kickpanel. My truck was one of the last '93 models built - Ford had already started with the '94 mounting location.

The drawback to the firewall location is to get the computer out of the truck, you have to loosen the inner fender. Not hard, just a pain in the butt.

Wiring is easier with the ECU under the hood - all the wires do not need to pass through the firewall. But, the computer is subject to water issues.

Hmm... Yeah that does make it a tougher. I am still dismantiling the truck for the swap. I might have to consider just moving someplace else depending on how much wire length I can get. Did you use the http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=1 page to help with your wiring or a set of books for each vehicle?

Yes, I used oldfuelinjection.com a lot.

I also have the factory wiring diagram for the truck - very helpful.

Which wiring harness are you going to use? RJM Injection Tech has one that is wired for the ECU in the passenger compartment on the right side. Might work for your truck.

I was considering making my own but that one might really be the way to go. Especially since my harness I got with the motor was cut in some areas. I really am not sure which way to go yet. I am thinking I want clean and not messy for sure. I do want to keep it like yours as far as keeping it all '93 vintage.

I just re-read your wiring section and with the pictures I do envy the cleaner look of the Ranger. Mine comes out from under the passenger fender area up and over the hood supports to the other side of the truck and then back around. It's not as integrated as yours is with the chassis but my new harness that I have is. I am thinking I will just have to pull it all apart and make my own. I have everything pretty well labeled. It's just a matter of having a good place to sit down and go through each wire.

You need a good, clean space, no interruptions, and lots of patience!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get a good wiring diagram from? The Chilton's I have leave a bit to be desired. I thought I had something good online but I must have not bookmarked it.

I pulled all the tape and loom covers off the new motors wiring harness today and both harnesses are a lot more integrated then what I expected.:confused: I can get through it I just really wanted to separate out the Engine and the Body pieces but really only pulled some headlight and turn signals out. LOL

Back