Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 55 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,019
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,064
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,010

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've used nature's rti ramp a few times to get rough measurements. My buddy has a forklift at his shop down the road I'll use prior calling it done, so I don't blow the shock hoops off again like last time. Aye.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Only a slight amount of work got done this weekend. But hey, that's two weekends in a row. That's more than I've worked on this thing all year. :p: :thumbsup:

I'm waiting for my Pro Tools notcher to show up (probably tomorrow) before I do anymore tube work. But I did some cutting in preparation for a new bumper. :cool:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,688
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,819
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,852

Your Explorer doesnt have single a dent! Get it to the trails quick!

EDIT - Hi Danny.

Your Explorer doesnt have single a dent! Get it to the trails quick!

It has two dents! One from trying to get a TV into the back seat.. another from a trash can. :) :p:

Dang dude - about time!

Sweet lookin' place too!:thumbsup:

Thanks buddy!

So here is the concept I'm working on:

bumper.jpg

If you run pieces down the sides make sure you tie them into the frame. I see you trimed the spare tire hump, I did that to and was amazed of how much it weakend the rear frame.:( Once the bumper had the side pieces tied to the frame, it was stronger then ever though;)

I see you trimed the spare tire hump, I did that to and was amazed of how much it weakend the rear frame.

I tried to cut off as little as possible. Did you cut more, or about the same, as what I did?

If you run pieces down the sides make sure you tie them into the frame.

That's basically my plan. The top of the bumper will wrap around the side. It's going to look pretty similar to Josh S.'s. Just larger tube and flush with the hatch.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I cut less. and you have to leave a gap above the rear bumper. at least a inch or more. The rear frame flexes so much that the bumper will crush your corners. Bkenndy had this happen. Some where there is a picture of my truck from calico I think that shows how much the frame flexes. I'll see if I can find it.

Yeah get a pic! But I meant flush front to back. So it won't have the diamond plate step (which isn't in that particular pic) that Josh has. Then I'll mount some tow hooks on the outside of the frame rails and call it good.

Couldn't find the pic, might have it in my private collection;) But I'm telling you basicly the pic is of one rear tire on a rock, and you can see the rear bumper is touching the body on one side and there is large gap on the other side.

Wait: Found one...not the pic I was looking for but you get what I'm talking about. With more flex, it's more dramatic.

12287Scan0010.jpg

I pushed both corners up on the navajo once when I dropped off a ledge.. So it's not just the frame flex, it's the body bushings also.

This will be the Web Wheelers new front end.

frontbumper.jpg

I'd delete the lights from that location and use them as rock lights - maybe mount them right under the stock headlights and point them down and backwards a bit. Just slap on some covers so you dont smash em with rocks on the local roads:

sum-g6285.jpg

http://summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6287/?image=large

:p:
attachment.php

Also, already have a rock light plan... which will be.. bad.. ass.

Oh okay, well bend away James Daniel May

Pics? :p:

Freebie from work! These were going in the trash! :confused: So of course I had to rescue them.

Now a couple will go on the rear bumper.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 2,106

Needs more triangulation - In! thanks for the chance! xoxoxo

image007.jpg

Nice find on the shackles! I got the hook up from our mechanics in Iraq, I got a bunch of smaller ones and a set of 12T's what size are those big ones? The 12T's are almost too big for anything I would use them for, but the medium sized ones (can't remember the rating) are just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back