September Big Bear run | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

September Big Bear run

I'll be there and hope to meet a few more of the people from the site out there too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We just had some real rain up here the last couple of days, The first real rain we've had since April and it might make things a little more interesting up here, and with the 14th coming up I was wondering if there is anyone other than Ken Cooke and I going to show?

Final Location Posting

Location: Big Bear Discovery Center - located on the northside of Big Bear Lake just northeast of the town of Fawnskin.

Time: 9:00AM (meetup) Departure: 9:30 Sharp!

Trails: Gold Mountain and John Bull

Who all's going: Myself, Big Bear Bob, and 20 rigs/guys from Inland Empire 4 Wheelr's (we're joining their group for the day, and we're representing for the Ranger/Explorer's on this board!:D )

What to bring: A spare tire, a jack, tools, towstrap, plenty of water, and lunch (we'll be out all day long).

More info: the_desert_outlaw@deserttrance.com OR (909) 255-1589

SEE YOU THERE!

-Ken

Ken how do you think my X would handle the John Bull trail? or should I stay with Gold Mountain?

I would like to try something new, but don't really want any body damage either.

Looking forward to seeing you Sat.@ 9:00am sharp.

Thanks Ken just looking forward to getting out and having a little fun. Maybe when I get my Ranger 4X4 or an F-150 Off Road 4X4 I'll take it on withya, but that looks like it would put some hurt on Rachaels X

Seeya then

Ken I will not be able to make it in morning, something came up and it's impossible. I will try to catch you later probably sometime in the early afternoon, and if you're on channel 30 I'll be looking for you. I'm very sorry about this ken, but it is unavoidable. We are no matter what making it for the full day at Joshua tree.

Please except my apologies, and still hope to see you tomorrow
Bob

I was told by my mechanic to stay away from the John Bull Trail, but might have fun at dishpan flats, or crab flats, anyway well find out sometime.

John Bull

That's funny what your mechanic said about the John Bull Trail. I'll see what kind of mood I am in after running with the Jeep guys if I want to tackle John Bull. I am open diffed front and rear, and that might cause a snicker or two with the Jeepers. Anyway, it'll be a fun run anyway and I can't wait to get to the Discovery Center to see everyone's eyes pop out when I roll into that parking lot with my Cayman Green Ford Ranger!

It'll be me versus the Jeeps!!! :cool:

Ken I will be monitoring channel 30 from the time I get up there. It's just bad timing the guy that cuts wood for me needs some help, and I owe him a lot..
Anyway I hope to catch you up there at some point in the day

Take care,
Bob

I just wish I could see the reaction when I rolled up in an X... Damn, but like I said I might have a chance if you get to monitor ch 30..
Sorry again and I still have hopes

Channel 30

I'll monitor Channel 30 when I drive up. I don't know what the group will be on for the day though...

The Gold Mountain Trail is also known as 3N69 and has a very severe cutout - 3N69A that circles back to 3N69, but 3N69A is for those that have monster rigs and want to really challenge themselves.

While we had expected the Inland Empire 4 Wheelers to show at nine at the Discovery Center with between 20 and 25 rigs along with a couple of local no-shows: that left Ken and myself all alone. This turned out to be just fine! We were both well prepared, and the freedom of having only two rigs on the run was great. It would be fun to do some of the trails with a larger group in the future. Another idea mentioned earlier was that we could split up and do various trails based on the vehicles abilities and the driver's experience.

All in all, I don't think the trip could have any better. The weather was perfect high 70's - low 80's with clear blue skies that went on forever. Recent rain and a pretty good-sized group of Jeeps left some damage to the trail so by the time Ken and I got to the trailhead it was pretty thrashed which made things a little more challenging and generally more fun.

To see some pictures of the days adventures follow the link below.
http://community.webshots.com/album/50178863rHPwQj

In the event of a larger get-together sometime soon, lodging shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the year. Look forward to seeing you here where the big rocks are.

BBB

If you do look at the pictures, remember I have 1.8" TT Shackle lift measured from the front and rear diff's and am running 31" tires, for a total gain of 2.3"s, but mine looks like a stock X compared to Kens Ranger.

Good Work!

Bob,

Keep up the good work! I enjoy seeing those big rocks and Fords up there on the Mountain trail. Good Job!

...Now once we get you on those mining roads, you'll have so much fun, I won't be able to get you dusted off, and on your way home!

-Ken

Thanks Ken I've been working on the site trying to seperate Gold Mountain Pic's from some of pictures from 3N61 that I had posted on the Gold Mountain page earlier.

I'm looking forward to getting off road again soon, and I' am open to places off the mountain, but you know the story this time?

How did Dave break his truck?

Back