supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 141 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4x4 launch it is
Ill get the popcorn
Gonna be a good weekend up North!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

4x4 launch it is
Ill get the popcorn
Gonna be a good weekend up North!

4x4 launch is was
did the log for don this morning. starting in second in 4x4 it chirped the tires (wtf). he made some more changes, got rid of some bogging problems as well. i had told him if i nail it from a dead stand still in first in 2wd the tires go up in smoke, hits the rev limiter then goes into second and bogs down. so he changed the rpm shift point from first to second wot to just shy of 5200rpm. it worked lol. not loading it up, but if i hit it from a stand still it will whip right up to redline while still annihilating the tires, but not the rev limiter, hit second while still annihilating the tires then slowly hook up. now 4x4 is a different story. if i load it, the fronts dont chirp like they used to, THEY SPIN! the whole truck jumps up and heads to one side like you are on ice in 4x4. didnt expect that!
also i had to buy a catch can for it, and will have to ditch the pcv. when i went for the datalog this morning, while still in town i decided to punch it. it spun them like its going to do now, however, i left a pile of smoke and fogged everyone out behind me. and it wasnt tire smoke either. as well as i know the motor isnt hurt, i am guessing it loaded up with oil in the intake and when it made boost, pushed it all into the cylinders. it didnt do it afterwards as well.
also, when i had to go get the catch can, i decided to drive evil into the city (about a hour round trip). zero issues, so i am a happy camper.
it does suck however. there is a 1/8 mile track that just opened this summer 10 mins from me that is having a cash days event this weekend as well as test and tune. the other track the don and i have went to (45 to a hour from me, about hour and 20 for don) is also open this weekend. i want to go to see what it will do, but still a little leary until don is done tuning and get the other small problems out of it this weekend.

Tim, Send it down the track. Get me a log when your doing it.

My main concern is that the low end timing might be a bit high (15-2500rpm). I'm sure you would hear that detonation though, and your truck did respond in a positive way.
The high rpm's are set to 18 degree's timing, and that should be perfect for your motor.

I'd hate to be the guy you call when you are in need of a broom to collect all the small pieces all over the road. It's a fine line.

Fantastic work Tim! I'd love to see a track time.

Crazy.. the results are amazing with this! 🤤

Don, that’s major tempting. Well, I’ll see if I can get that leak fixed (small leak from the innercooler pump). If I can then I’ll see if I can hit Gimli or mpr

andy,ya need to get you one of these 😁

Yeah Tim, I know it! I have everything but

spent today fixing the known issues with it, which really werent bad issues. first and formost was the small leak i had. was a plug in the water pump. gobs of pipe sealent latter....
second was why my one hid wasnt firing. plug not in ballast all the way.
third was to get the fog light from not resting on the intercooler hose. had to cut the mount that i made for it, flip it upside down and reweld it. now theres plenty of room, and the bumper fits the way it should. now i wont have to look at that for the rest of my life and drive me nuts!
also did a road test by taking a drive to don's place where i also past the ultimate test........not leaking all over dons nice concrete driveway.....whoops didnt think about that until after i parked lol.
its running pretty good despite that its only on round 3 i think of don tuning it. all the time and effort was worth it.
gonna need new tires soon as well. **** happens.
it also looks like i might put the m112 and other stuff for it up for sale soon then i thought to.

sooooo sick
supercharged 347
Someday
I have a 98 Ranger standard cab short bed RWD just begging me for this, I can make it 4x4 too its torsion sprung.
Im gonna need more $$$$

good luck! I vote go racing lol

This **** is soooo expensive.
My hats off to Tim for all the fab work he did himself. Even then, the cost of parts are crazy.
I'd never ask how much time was spent doing this, and I'm sure Tim can't even answer.
It's the small stuff that kills. an12 line, big $, Intercooler pump, big $, aluminum welding, not cheap, etc.

Lets see if Tim can find the weakest part in his drive line now.

Yep, exactly why I stopped spending for a 1/4 mile at a time, and started playing in the dirt. If I could afford both I would, as that need for speed, still lives in me. If I ever move to the western states, a go fast prerunner truck would fit both wants.

Can't wait to see your smile, with a new lower time slip in your hand Tim! Woot!

Lets see if Tim can find the weakest part in his drive line now.
<-----------

see my screen name? have it for a good reason lol

ok everyone. help is needed. because i am totally useless at tuning, dono is doing it for me. so far, hes doing a great job, but we (he) is hitting a brick wall. anyone that knows about tuning, please look at this thread for us. don says evils doing the exact thing and need to know where to go from here. if you know something he is missing, by all means please post it here so he can see.

Not sure if this makes a difference but in those logs it seems "load" was also off when spark was retarded. Once this was fixed the load came to life also.

Wish someone would have answered that thread.

The issue was Tip in spark retard. At factory settings when you mash the throttle the ecm will pull up to 13 degree's of timing on anything over 5 degree's. No wonder we were seeing spark of -10 when Tim would mash the throttle. Current settings are that when Tim mashes the throttle, up to 5 degree's of timing can be pulled on anything 20 degrees or more for an instant. We might want to change this so it doesn't pull any timing at all.
1599785655071.png

so while the forum has been down, there have been a few steps ahead, and behind.

i got around to putting my oil tank in. after searching for a sport for it for days (and thats no lie either) i found one on the drivers side behind the rad and beside the air filter

119127191_348182269565115_855588773148659028_n.jpg

made a small bracket

119150208_625625621482343_5632687886468153494_n.jpg

119131089_632452050979616_3690191817809466313_n.jpg

then bolted it in

119136996_794840534390108_6118056743301453789_n.jpg

119123744_341205273691398_152166977687998076_n.jpg

119123318_402392377414205_7842255153693281591_n.jpg

wished i would have taken a picture of it before i put it in. its not huge, but its not small either, it will however stop oil getting back into the motor which is what i want.

then more tuning. i felt bad as don is not having any fun with this. i have no complaints, but i hate putting people through misery working on my stuff unless i am paying them. don is doing it for less then sunflower seed money. we fowled 2 more sets of plugs (believe it or not, i was at the point i didnt want to call him and tell him that either), however i found a person i know i little that does tuning here locally, and loves doing it. problem is, he does hp, not sct. he did however look over some of the logs and tunes for me and contacted don to run some things by him to help him out. he had also noticed some small things in the truck as well. one being i have had the wideband set too far back from the motor. it was in the stock spot for the rear o2 sensors, when it should have been 24-36 inches from the last port in the heads. he also wanted me to see if the fuel pressure dropped off at any point in wot. i had to zip tie a old phone to my intake tube, then go for a bonsai run down the road. kinda got a video of it, but i did get one hell of a sound clip of the supercharger whining like mad

. so far so good. no fowled plugs, and the motor hasnt yard saled itself all over the road.
im getting real temped as one of the tracks locally is having a test and tune saturday and i am thinking real hard about going to just because i want to see just how much has been gained with this new blower, and to see if i have finally made it into the 12's

after about 2 weeks of revisions in tunes (i lost count, i dont think don even wants to think about how many he did), time money, head scratching, chain smoking, alcohol abuse and nervous breakdowns (kidding on the last 2) don an myself worked on the tuning. he did spot things that he fixed, but there was still a big bog at low rpm. i remember him saying "ok, i am going to try something. i am going to throw a **** ton of fuel at this thing and see if that works" went out on the highway to give it a go.
the dam thing folded me over the seat, i had to call him and say "yup, that worked". i even screwed up on the first log and left it in drive, meaning it took off in first and not second. i sent it to him to show him how quick first gear comes and goes. what i didnt know myself was just how fast it was.
he messaged me saying i went from 0 to 50mph in 3.6 seconds. my reaction.....what???!!!!
he gave me the thumbs up to send it down the 1/4. today was the second last day the track will be open before it closes for the season.
there were a few "what the hell's" when i was sitting in the tech lane with the hood open.
first run out, lined up put it in 4x4 (praying the front diff wouldnt explode) then hammered it. it even sounded like it spun. one of don's buddys that i know was there also and came up to me saying he couldnt believe how high the front end came up to the point he thought it hung the front wheels.
the time slip,

119816991_257749248740074_1218062912224435092_n.jpg

i almost crapped myself when i saw that. i figured maaaaaybe a 12.9, but NOT a 12.65. and certainly not at 107mph!

second run wasnt as great but not shabby. one thing don and myself were having a problem with was trying to figure out the 1-2 shifts because once again, it goes through first so fast, it doesnt have enough time to shift. we set the shift point to 42mph. on the second run it hit the rev limiter then shifted. you can see the front end dive down just as it shifted.

this is the timeslip from that run.

119827161_343622306850165_5702851653212727543_n.jpg

my buddy was in his mustang in the other lane. he was kinda butt hurt that i spanked him hard. lol
there was also a problem with that run as well. while in the staging lane, i keep the truck running. it was probably running for 4 maybe 5 mins before getting to the starting line therefor heat soaking the motor. more on that one.

third run i put the shift point down to 40mph to see if that helped. it did however bog off the line, but i think that was because i didnt have the rpms up enough. if you watch the video, you can see it puff of black come out the pipes, then it takes off. if you also watch the front tires, you can see them spin off the line as well.

and the time slip

119988106_3444785092283178_7599903918632674166_n.jpg

that run i didnt leave the truck running in staging. i would start it, move, then shut off. that was also a blessing to. when i came back to the pits, i wanted to see what the iat was, well because if starting and turning it off, it screwed up the dataloging. i also didnt get a log from the first run because i forgot to turn it on, but the second one i was able to log. i saw my iat's look kinda high. then i saw the coolant temp. it was at 220! i discovered the cooling fans werent coming on (corroded wire at the battery) so that ended the day for me. didnt want to chance it. i also think that may have slowed me a bit in the second run, and may have caused the bog in the third run. the nice thing was its all highway home so i wasnt worried about driving it back.
the pits are open to the public at the track i went to. there were a few people walk up, look under the hood, mention god for some reason (lol). one guy said he raced me once, thought he was fast, then today realized what he messed with, and didnt feel so bad. there was another couple of guys that i talked to that i mentioned "yea, i kinda fibbed on the tech card. i said i had a 302 in it" they told me they knew i was full of it when i launched it and saw the front lift the way it did.
when i sent a pic of the timecard to don, he said he was going to see what the horsepower conversion was. for some reason i didnt think of that.
so using et, mph and how much evil weights (4600lbs with me in it. one of us needs to go on a diet, and i like my food, so guess who loses). it converts to 450 hp. now whether thats rwhp or crank, i cant say for sure. all i know is i have finally reached a goal of owning a 12 second 1/4 mile vehicle, just would have never dreamed it would be a explorer. it also kinda freaks others out as well.

i gotta give a major shout out to dono! there is no way in hell i could have done this without your help! thank you again!!!!

Awesome Tim.

Tons of work and lots of patience, that made it happen. Now take care of the little things, and enjoy it.

Dayum that's a fast Sport! And its working!! That is the best part....3 passes in one day and trucks still driving around
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How fast was Troll's 4 door? Didn't they get that thing into the 10's?? and that was with 4 door and two subwoofers in the back if memory serves!

i cant remember if it was trolls or clownz that i saw a video of them hitting the brakes and running 11's. however, 11's arent that far away now :D. just kidding. i dont think this thing will ever do 11's. then again thats what i also said about 13's and 12's.
i also forgot to mention this. before i left yesterday morning, as i go on to facebook memory's what pops up that happen 5 years ago to the day?
when don an i went there, and destroyed that track being the 2 or third guys down. don blew both head gaskets out and i pushed a frost plug out of the block spaying coolant from the 1000 foot down. the track owner came down to the shut down area screaming at us. i came close to punching him out that day as well. when i saw that memory pop up, needless to say i had the jitters going lol

Back