2003 Lariat Super Crew "Husker Larry" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Lariat Super Crew "Husker Larry"

8.8 front axle?
iirc yes looked at one once think it had the 8.8 up front. maybe a 8.8 or 9.75 in the rear forgot. provably 8.8. then again his could be different ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

U joint shafts are available.

Here is a picture of an 8.8 I got from a F150. I got it to replace the D35 hybrid in my 94 awd aerostar.

20220827_082244.jpg

In other news.

Went to Rays metal depot in Laharpe, ks. For a mere 75 bux, they moved an entire truck about 1/8 mile, held it in the sky at the torching station, held up by one fork tip only, risking certain death, they used a quicky saw, and torch. The truck was teetering, and I honestly had to turn my eyes away. Got kinda sketchy.
The noise stopped,
and he gave me these.
IMG_20220910_105004988.jpg

I got the "easy" end off. I'm going to lay my press on it's back and try to get the chunk of control arm off the other end.

If there is some rust on the metal, a bath in a rust dissolver might break the bond.

If there is some rust on the metal, a bath in a rust dissolver might break the bond.
Ah yes, forgot to mention the week long soaking of acetone mixed with marvel mystery oil. Used a syringe with blunt needle to apply it to both sides of control arm hole, re applied daily .

Ah yes, forgot to mention the week long soaking of acetone mixed with marvel mystery oil. Used a syringe with blunt needle to apply it to both sides of control arm hole, re applied daily .
Could you get an air chisel on it while it is in the press? Are there any shops around you with a bigger press?

Could you get an air chisel on it while it is in the press? Are there any shops around you with a bigger press?
Air chisel, hmmm. Sounds good, thanks. I'm going to try that now.
There are shops around, I have 2 of these to get thru. Might be 40 per hour well spent at this point.

Thing is, if it's this difficult on a bench I'm very worried about getting the originals out of the truck.

Good new control arms loaded are close to 400.00 each.

Ok, if 20 tons won't do it make it more tons.

First, stand press back up on elevated stands ( cement blocks) and try again.
Nope, need more tons.
I used 6 ton bottle jacks, one on either end of press slider to add them . Not safe, but it made a bang! Repeat.
IMG_20221001_121639728.jpg

Ok, I think we need to do timing chains for Larry. Pretty sure one of the tensioners has blown, or weakened.

5.4 2v Non vvt thankfully.

Who has experience at this? Meaning, I d like real world advice. Yes, I already watched the Ford tek guy on the u tube

I did it a couple times on a 4.6, but its been a looonnngg time. I'd have to look it up in TCCoA.com again.

By the way, how'd the torsion bar adventure turn out? You finally got a set free from the control arms.... then what?

I did it a couple times on a 4.6, but its been a looonnngg time. I'd have to look it up in TCCoA.com again.

By the way, how'd the torsion bar adventure turn out? You finally got a set free from the control arms.... then what?
Oh, that's for when I do ball joints, eventually. Might just get new control arms

Ahh Ok, that makes sense! :)

Well,

650 bux later, I have some special tools, and all Ford parts on the way.

Gonna do oil high volume oil pump and valve seals while in there.

Also, injector rebuild kit and spark plugs. This is gonna hurt

Ok, at this point in the timing chain job I'm gonna say those YouTube makaluco videos sell parts. If they were complete, they'd sell less.

Kinda left out a few goodies I wish I didn't have to learn.

Yep, thats the valvetrain I remember from my Thunderbird days. Not too difficult to get to and work on, but I wouldn't call it fun.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suppose there is some truth to that. I was over 10 years younger when I last cracked open a Ford Modular engine. And it was a lot closer to the ground than the truck is as well.

Back