Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 29 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
I took my ex into the dealership and I told my service advisor about the tsb about the smell he don't even have a clue what I'm talking about is there a code or name of better saying it instead of tsb? Thanks folks
I believe it is TSB 12-12-4. Go to post #498 in this thread and there is a description, complete with pictures of the work required. Perhaps you can copy that for your dealer service advisor.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe it is TSB 12-12-4. Go to post #498 in this thread and there is a description, complete with pictures of the work required. Perhaps you can copy that for your dealer service advisor.

Peter
I showed him the post and the service manager said don't listen to the things on the forums because is not part of ford company.

I showed him the post and the service manager said don't listen to the things on the forums because is not part of ford company.

Contact the Ford Customer Service Rep on this board and get it elevated. Your service manager is full of crap. I just had that TSB performed on my vehicle and it appears to have been successful (so far).

It sounds like your dealer has a lazy service advisor. He should be able to look up the TSB number on his system. The TSB was created by Ford. As JDraper suggested, get Crystal (FordCustSrvc) involved and have her contact the Regional Customer Service manager. Either that, or tell them you are changing dealers.
Send Crystal a PM (Private Message) with the following info;
VIN, dealer, current mileage, full name, and daytime phone number.

Peter

It sounds like your dealer has a lazy service advisor. He should be able to look up the TSB number on his system. The TSB was created by Ford. As JDraper suggested, get Crystal (FordCustSrvc) involved and have her contact the Regional Customer Service manager. Either that, or tell them you are changing dealers.
Send Crystal a PM (Private Message) with the following info;
VIN, dealer, current mileage, full name, and daytime phone number.

Peter

I pmed crystal all my info 2 weeks ago and the ford manager helped me made an appointment with my local ford dealership for the tsb. She called me when my appointment was the next day to confirm about my appointment and make sure there will be a loaner car for me this time cuz the last time I went there wasn't any loaner car for me which was the dealerships fault cuz they couldn't find my appointment for bodywork. This time for the tsb appointment when I went in. The manager couldn't find my appointment again this is the 2nd time. First time body work now the tsb. I was really pissed off this time I couldn't even leave my car there because they don't have a loaner for me. I told them ford motor manager made this appointment for me to come in and he said couldn't find anything then he check his email and I do see an email sent by the manager saying about my appointment. So basically they didn't check the mails and didn't make the appointment. Went up there for nothing 2 times already I don't know what is wrong with ford dealerships after they made the money from ur purchase they don't care about you and treat u like your giving them a hard time for service. I have horrible experience that I don't even wanna go back anymore. I told the manager I'm never coming back here again I'm changing dealership.

Oh yea another thing that happened when I took my car in for bodywork. Their body shop stole all my quarters from in my middle console it was 15 dollars worth of quarters they are use for parking. Held my car for almost 2 weeks for bodywork it was a chipped paint on the passenger door. The chip was .5 inch long. When the car was delivered it was like that already.

Contact the Ford Customer Service Rep on this board and get it elevated...

It sounds like your dealer has a lazy service advisor. He should be able to look up the TSB number on his system. The TSB was created by Ford. As JDraper suggested, get Crystal (FordCustSrvc) involved and have her contact the Regional Customer Service manager...

Thanks for the shout-out, JDraper and peterk9!

I pmed crystal all my info 2 weeks ago and the ford manager helped me made an appointment with my local ford dealership for the tsb. She called me when my appointment was the next day to confirm about my appointment and make sure there will be a loaner car for me this time cuz the last time I went there wasn't any loaner car for me which was the dealerships fault cuz they couldn't find my appointment for bodywork. This time for the tsb appointment when I went in. The manager couldn't find my appointment again this is the 2nd time. First time body work now the tsb. I was really pissed off this time I couldn't even leave my car there because they don't have a loaner for me. I told them ford motor manager made this appointment for me to come in and he said couldn't find anything then he check his email and I do see an email sent by the manager saying about my appointment. So basically they didn't check the mails and didn't make the appointment. Went up there for nothing 2 times already I don't know what is wrong with ford dealerships after they made the money from ur purchase they don't care about you and treat u like your giving them a hard time for service. I have horrible experience that I don't even wanna go back anymore. I told the manager I'm never coming back here again I'm changing dealership.

Hi there,

I see from your case notes that your CSM will be contacting you for a follow-up on Friday. Please let her know what your experience has been at the dealership so they can assist.

If you need any additional assistance, please let me know.

Thanks!

Crystal

. So basically they didn't check the mails and didn't make the appointment. Went up there for nothing 2 times already I don't know what is wrong with ford dealerships after they made the money from ur purchase they don't care about you and treat u like your giving them a hard time for service. I have horrible experience that I don't even wanna go back anymore. I told the manager I'm never coming back here again I'm changing dealership.
Good for you. Stick to it and make the change. I believe that dealers make most of their money from servicing vehicles and not from sales. I would explain to your new dealership exactly why you are looking to change. Good luck and all the best of the season.

Peter

did this work? Has anyone done the repair?

J

did this work? Has anyone done the repair?

J
If you read post #507 in this thread you will see that the answer to your question is YES.
Another member ern3 was to have the TSB done last month but so far has not reported back to advise if it was successful or not.

Peter

It's been several weeks since I had mine done and I have yet to smell anything. So far-so good...

If you read post #507 in this thread you will see that the answer to your question is YES.
Another member ern3 was to have the TSB done last month but so far has not reported back to advise if it was successful or not.

Peter

Due to the holidays, and a hectic schedule, I haven't had a chance to drop mine off. But I will update as soon as I can.

-ern

It's been several weeks since I had mine done and I have yet to smell anything. So far-so good...

This is great news! I have yet to have mine done as the warranty is still being processed and parts are still being ordered (as they tell me) with the holidays and all concluded last week.

I just had mines done today it took 1 week I hope everything goes well will update 1 week later

......so what is it that causes the smell and what is the solution ?
Both cause and solution are in this thread. Exhaust fumes are being pulled in on some Explorers through the rear vents. See post #502 for a link to the solution.
Are you having the same problem with your '98 Mountaineer?

Peter

Hey folks!

If you're currently experiencing the exhaust smell, the first thing you should do is make an appointment at your dealership so they can get this addressed. Give me a shout via PM if you need any additional assistance and I'll be happy to see how I can help!

Have a great day,

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just returned from my dealer. Ex was in the shop for 5 days, TSB was preformed under the supervision of the regional Ford Engineer as this was my 4th repair attempt. Took a test drive with the service manager, made him sit in the 3rd row. No improvement at all, smell is still there after accelerating onto the highway.

So disappointing

Back