My New, New 347 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, Tim, it's kinda windy here today. Still sunny and hot though. Truth is, the best part is that I'm not at work.

I’m still not talking to you. I am with your neighbors however. Your driveway is the new communal snow dump.

:D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Don sent me this little motor **** this morning.

1775C84D-F41C-4981-8B05-5FEF257B015C.jpeg

If you ask me, that’s purdy! He’s going to have a rocket on wheels when this motor is done

I'm struggling with pictures. Anyway, Dimas said the pics don't do the work justice. I'll send Tim more pics later, I'm off for breakfast and a beer.

Notice how the heads were bolted on the block, and a scribe was used to draw a circle around each cylinder on the heads. Then, the valves were unshrouded right to the cylinder wall. This helps fill the cylinders that much more. Also, hopefully you can see where in between the valves was laid back much as Darren Morgan had suggested in that thread on the bullet I posted yesterday. Engine dyno day wiĺl be exciting!

Their is no program, so they are done by hand. With the flat top pistons (with valve reliefs), he needed to get the cc's of the heads higher to get the compression ratio down(the heads were 58cc heads) to around 10:1. He was actually really happy about the extra material as he had a blank canvas to shape things as he wanted. Looking at his other work, I'm impressed at his ability to make each cylinder the same.

The good news is that you will know by the results of my heads is you want yours done Tim.

Dono,
Enjoy your vacation!
The work is looking real good on the engine, it is going to be awesome!

Don sent a few more pictures asking me to post them for him.....while he is in a nice warm tropic Paradise and I am up here in a frozen tundra hell :D

4D91831E-D105-449B-A229-FDA13A5A1FEA.jpeg

8BD8864A-5246-4242-B02A-B194E90DF942.jpeg

F1F9A8E7-3B66-44F7-81B1-DFA17E522341.jpeg

The good news is that you will know by the results of my heads is you want yours done Tim.

oh, i know i want mine done. but after the supercharger, possibly intercooler, battery relocation, plumbing, wiring, JATO rocket, funds may be a tad tight

No kidding. Besides its not worth tearing a motor apart for just a port job.

Both heads are done now, and Dimas ordered the cam. Same as post 1. 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95

The 114lsa is great for the rear mount turbo, and it's still an agressive cam. Lots of spring is being used so I wont have any valve control issues.
Final compression numbers are not in, but realistically it will be somewhere between 9.6 to 10:1 there is always space between the ring land that isnt talked about, and some room was left on the deck of the block so it isnt exactly 0 decked. Quench will still be great with the flat top pistons. Cam should be in next week along with the part for the balancer so balancing can be completed.
Things are moving fast now.

Yeah, I couldn't seem to tune your idle, so I'm hoping i'll be able to sort it out myself.

Dimas has a reputation of personal pride to keep up on a dyno session. I'm pretty sure that's why he wants to drop in such an agressive cam. As long as the street manners are not terrible, I'm ok with it. If all goes as expected, I'll be in 4×4 all winter trying to keep reasonable manners. I dont want to end up with a truck that I cant keep straight in the winter under light throttle.

The results of this whole thing will be interesting.

Evil can be a bit of a handful in 4x4 in the winter sometimes. Then again the big difference there is once again, turbo vs supercharger. Boost comes in low and strong with a supercharger for turbo there is always a little lag before it comes on. As well as tires come into play as well. Can’t remember how aggressive those tires that you have for winter are

Here's what Summit's compression ratio calculator comes up with. This is assuming 0 deck.

Compression ratio.jpg

Back