My New, New 347 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My New, New 347

I'm abandoning my old thread (My new 347), as the motor has been an epic fail for many reasons.
Against any sane reason, I'm trying again.

Post #1 is a thread with all parts for my own records. I'll keep adding to this as I have the time and know what parts are being used.

New (Used) unmolested factory block from Vroomzoomboom. Thanks Tim!
Eagle Forged 4340 Steel Crankshafts 430234705400 w ESP Armor coat option
Bullet Pistons BF6010-030 - 2618 Forged Flat top w TFS valve reliefs made for power adder applications
Rods -I beam Forged (From Old Motor)
King Pro Series Bearings
Michigan 77 SH1321 Cam Bearings
MEL10688 HV Oil Pump - Block and pump machined to fit under the stock oil pan
FEL-1133SD MLS head Gaskets
PAC-1207X LS Springs (Yes Tim, there is something Cheby going in to my Ford motor)
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers (old build)
HRC911968 Howards link bar lifters
Comp Cam 35-775-8 proposed, may change after head flow number change 35-775-8 - XFI™ Stroker Hydraulic Roller Camshafts, Computer controlled (E.F.I.) with O.E. hydraulic roller cams 1985-95
rollmaster timing set (Hopefully re-usable from old build)
TW170 heads (old build) that will be ported and the chambers softened for boost
push rods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7" (old build)
ARP Head Studs (old build)
Torque converter CircleD SKU:30-09-19 11" 2800 stall triple disk lockup FORD 11" HP Series 4R70 Torque Converter
Trick Flow Track Heat intake (old build)
Cometic C5652-060 intake manifold gasket
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kit 1 54-7904 (old build)
ARP Flexplate Bolt Kit 100-2901 (old build)
PCV Valve EV127A
header gasket remflex 3003

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)-re-balanced by machinist to 0
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth -re-balanced by machinist to 0

Injector Clinic 650H 62lb injectors
Return style fuel pump canister installed in fuel tank (1998 Explorer)
Another 6an braided line added as a fuel return line
Aeromotive Stealth Electric Fuel Pump 11542 340lph
Aeromotive 13130 fuel regulator
Trick Flow TFS-5158000R fuel rails

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After the bottom end is done are you getting it back to install the top end?
Do you think it will still be cold out when it ready for installation?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

After the bottom end is done are you getting it back to install the top end?
Do you think it will still be cold out when it ready for installation?

How cold is cold up there? We're in the low 30's at night already, and highs may reach 50 most days. We only got about a week of Fall, it went from the upper 80's to the 50's that fast.

When I go stroker I am just gonna buy a complete crate engine from ATK....dyno tested before its shipped and huge warranty!
We used an ATK 365hp 302 in my buddies Ranger, still going strong after 30K miles now..........

How cold is cold up there? We're in the low 30's at night already, and highs may reach 50 most days. We only got about a week of Fall, it went from the upper 80's to the 50's that fast.
Its cold here too, same thing, went from summer to winter with only about a week of Fall.
Today is a high of 29, tomorrow is supposed to go up to 35.
Not anywhere near as cold as it is in Canada though I'm sure.

Dono, how cold is it there today?

The motor is going to be completely assembled (oil pump, heads, rockers, valve covers...... )and dynoed by the builder before I take possession of it.

I'll just need to do stuff like add the headers, and the efi intake before dropping it in. This way. we all know the motor is solid.

I do have a garage that can be heated and be reasonably comfortable to work in. My wife will just have to park outside for a week or so (I don't want to rush anything as I'm getting old and lazy).

The heads will still need to have the chambers re-worked, the bowls worked, and the ports smoothed using a flow bench. Then the cam will need to be matched to the heads/bore/stroke of the motor and ordered.

It's just nice to see I'm finally in the front of the queue and getting some loving.

edit: It has warmed up to about 26 degrees Fahrenheit. Its actually pretty warm right now. Unfortunately, that brought the wind with it. My garage is really well insulated. I do wish it had a heated floor though. I'm a suck when it comes to cold.

i'm already bugging him that we WILL get the motor in no matter how cold it is outside. ive also told dono that if he hears noises coming from the garage in the middle of the night, it might just be me putting the motor in just to hear it run in the truck!

Well I'm 45 miles south of Canada and its just raining here at 2200' highs of 40 and low of like 32.....BRING ON THE SNOW!! I'm ready

Sorry Gman, I missed your post.
I'm looking for around 450 to the wheels. A nice strong torque curve starting low in the rpm range is really what I want rather than peek hp.

There are lots of reasons why I think this is actually a bit aggressive.

End of the day, I just want a fun truck that isn't eating thrust bearings. As long as I have that trans cooler line pressure under control, I'm sure I will be ok. The hv oil pump will be added insurance. The machinist isn't concerned at all with making it fit. He's going to split the difference in height and mill half off the block, and half off the pump mount (Assuming there is enough meat on the pump mount). Then, make sure the pump feed hole matches perfectly. I think this is going to be more work than he is telling me. I'm just happy he's willing (and excited) to do it.

I have to say, I'm excited to get everything together and see what the motor will do with that higher stall torque converter. Even though my other torque converter was a 2400 stall, I think it was just too tight. Hopefully this one nails it.

Just thought of this, he has the oil pump drive shaft right? He’s going to have to do some machining on it to

Yup, your right. He's already prepared to do that also. He's not absolutely sure it will need shortening as there's lots of play, but he is ready to do it if necessary. I'm betting that hardened shaft wont be easy to shorten.

Block getting clearance for the rods.

Stroker clearancing2.jpeg

Stroker clearancing.jpeg

Bearing check for unusual marks. Next up is oil pump and pan fitment.

Bearing surface check after turning crank2.jpeg

Bearing surface check after turning crank.jpeg

Bearing surface check after turning crank4.jpeg

Bearing surface check after turning crank3.jpeg

Who knows, he might have it done by the end of next week. Was going to also say, I’m off during the week of Christmas, if your not heading to saskscratchyourass, I can give you a hand without any problems

I love the pictures, that's eye candy for gear heads.

For the power to be a lower range than top end, have you sized the turbo on the smaller side? That adjustment can help a lot, choosing a turbo that begins to run out of breath before the shift, and spools up quicker in the low rpm's.

Yup, turbo is smallish and runs out of breath early. That will give my more boost down low.

Tim, I'll be heading to Regina to visit my family.

Interestingly enough, Regina stands for 'Queen'
Regina also just happens to rhyme with ??gina.

Back