Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 78 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Another stinker

I've had my explorer for 3 weeks (about 1000 miles) and it has been belching rotten egg exhaust into the cabin at freeway speeds. Have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer to have them look at this...

Do I need to say anything particular to them to get the problem addressed correctly or are the other sites ive seen correct in stating that the problem is not fixable?

Its so bad I thought the truck was on fire the first time it happened...

The headaches from the smell is (literally) killing me...

I'm a new Ford employee too. I traded an amazing Hemi charger for this explorer. I hope that I did not make an error jumping the gun for appearances at work...

Thanks for any assistance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford dropped the ball at it's Chicago plant..............it is like the Q. C. at this location is stuck in the 60's. Had the TSB done on my 2105 and it did not stop exhaust fumes from entering cabin............returning to dealer when I get back home. I put out a PM to John Smith 2014 to ask if his fix performed on his EX is still keeping out the fumes ( wheel weights on rear vents to help close them) but I have not heard back or seen him back on this forum. John if you are out there .........give us an update PLEASE

With your Ex being one in the future, It might be 90 years before John Smith gets back to you. :eek: :D:D

I've had my explorer for 3 weeks (about 1000 miles) and it has been belching rotten egg exhaust into the cabin at freeway speeds. Have an appointment tomorrow at the dealer to have them look at this...

Welcome to the forum, jamie48328. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Send me your information in a private message (PM) and I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I am getting the same gas smell in my truck . I Have the car at the dealership now to check it out.

Got the the truck back today but still smelling the same odor. The dealer was able to smell it as well. Truck is back in the shop again.

Put the ex in the shop yesterday. Dealer opened a "case" with ford engineering.Got a call late today stating that they have an "update" to the latest TSB. Don't know yet exactly what it entails, but the service rep said the parts are ordered and should be in tomorrow. Hopeful, but,,,,.
Will post results. Gary

Got the the truck back today but still smelling the same odor. The dealer was able to smell it as well. Truck is back in the shop again.
Did they say what they did to the truck? Interested, thanks, Gary

Did they say what they did to the truck? Interested, thanks, Gary

they performed 13-9-18 tsb, something involving replacing radiator hoses, themostat and such, but that didnt fix the problem.

they performed 13-9-18 tsb, something involving replacing radiator hoses, themostat and such, but that didnt fix the problem.

Sounds like they are chasing a different scenario, maybe the "hot oil" smell in the cabin?

Sounds like they are chasing a different scenario, maybe the "hot oil" smell in the cabin?

Not sure , All I can tell you is there is a foul smell from the vents while driving. it smells like gas to me. That TSB didnt fix it.

Put the ex in the shop yesterday. Dealer opened a "case" with ford engineering.Got a call late today stating that they have an "update" to the latest TSB. Don't know yet exactly what it entails, but the service rep said the parts are ordered and should be in tomorrow. Hopeful, but,,,,.
Will post results. Gary

Picked up the ex this afternoon. Wife drove it the 35 miles home. She said she smelled the exhaust while accelerating up the the on ramp, and not all that aggressive either. I'll drive it later, but she said it seemed to be a bit better. Well, sometimes it's better, other times it's worse.
The update to TSB 14.01.30 is some kind of change to the "vent air grille assy". The service writer didn't know, or wouldn't say what the change was. We'll drive it and see how it goes. If it stinks, it goes back for another try. Taking it in for these attempts involves 150+ miles of driving for us, and I don't enjoy driving much any more. We are old enough that we thought this would be our last new car. Don't know if we can stand it or not. It definitely WILL be our last FORD.

Picked up the ex this afternoon. Wife drove it the 35 miles home. She said she smelled the exhaust while accelerating up the the on ramp, and not all that aggressive either. I'll drive it later, but she said it seemed to be a bit better. Well, sometimes it's better, other times it's worse.
The update to TSB 14.01.30 is some kind of change to the "vent air grille assy". The service writer didn't know, or wouldn't say what the change was. We'll drive it and see how it goes. If it stinks, it goes back for another try. Taking it in for these attempts involves 150+ miles of driving for us, and I don't enjoy driving much any more. We are old enough that we thought this would be our last new car. Don't know if we can stand it or not. It definitely WILL be our last FORD.

Add another new explorer to the smell list. Same exact as others with only 300 miles on the clock. Hopefully I made the right choice to purchase the new explorer. Always had mustangs and have never been let down yet anyway.

Welcome to the Forum viperstance.:wavey:

Peter

update on mine....after reading the wheel weights on the vents, I took mine back the dealer a few weeks ago, and they agreed to try the wheel weights. They also replaced the rear vents (again), and reprogrammed the AC to supposedly switch to fresh air when the throttle is above a certain level. Well, none of that worked! The service manager has been really good about all this, and has stayed in contact with Ford Engineering. However, they haven't been of much help. I may move to lemon this thing out. I just cant believe that with all the engineers, etc that they cant figure this out.

I feel like I am getting the cold shoulder now from dealership with this issue.

update on mine....after reading the wheel weights on the vents, I took mine back the dealer a few weeks ago, and they agreed to try the wheel weights. They also replaced the rear vents (again), and reprogrammed the AC to supposedly switch to fresh air when the throttle is above a certain level. Well, none of that worked! The service manager has been really good about all this, and has stayed in contact with Ford Engineering. However, they haven't been of much help. I may move to lemon this thing out. I just cant believe that with all the engineers, etc that they cant figure this out.

They very well could have a fix for it..but it could be a HUGE expense. Who knows it could be kept secret for all we know.

I have this same smell upon hard acceleration. I've had it I believe since I got the car and now it has about ~3500 miles. Given the responses so far on this thread, it seems like it might not even be worth it to take it to the dealer.

To describe the smell I'm having, I would say it is most like burnt hair as other members have mentioned. No sulfur, gas, or oil smell at all. It's just that odd burnt hair smell (it's not exactly like burnt hair but similar) when I try to overtake or merge on the highway above 4-5k rpm.

To describe the smell I'm having, I would say it is most like burnt hair as other members have mentioned. No sulfur, gas, or oil smell at all. It's just that odd burnt hair smell (it's not exactly like burnt hair but similar) when I try to overtake or merge on the highway above 4-5k rpm.

Welcome to the forum, FarmDee. I'd suggest bringing this up to your dealership so they can get this diagnosed and documented. If you'd prefer, you can mention this the next time you're there for a maintenance appointment so you don't have to make a special trip. Additionally, I'll get your regional customer service manager involved. To make that happen, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, FarmDee. I'd suggest bringing this up to your dealership so they can get this diagnosed and documented. If you'd prefer, you can mention this the next time you're there for a maintenance appointment so you don't have to make a special trip. Additionally, I'll get your regional customer service manager involved. To make that happen, send me a private message (PM) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Question that comes to mind, Why would there be a need for over 100 complaints about the same issue before a manufacturer recall is made?
This has been a known problem for years and it hasn't been fixed even on the 2015 Model. I'm sure the 2016 will react the same way. Will this have to go to a Class action law suit to get Ford to fix the problem or someone passing out behind the wheel and dying to become enough of an issue to figure this problem out?....

I remember when I was growing up starting in the 60's the saying was, "Ford quality is #1 ."

I am definitely not knocking Ford. I have had and still have Fords in my garage.

All I am saying is, "Let's get this fixed before it is too late!.."

Back