Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 107 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Thanks for letting me know. I am not too familiar with Ford and this blog, since I never before made the mistake to obtain a Ford SUV. (and I will not again)

I did crawl from under a rock - I have never had to seek assistance like this with my SUVs before (or any other vehicle - perhaps because I had not owned a Ford before. Thanks.
Since you "sort of" own a 2016 Sport, can you "sort of" give it back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My other three vehicles, including my Sport are only filled with 91 and they all produce the rotten egg smell during WOT.
I've been smelling rotten eggs since the early 90s and feel that this is normal and would you expece less when you are going WOT and putting full load on the engine?

I'm not referring to the rotten egg smell (which is occasional, and also seen on some other vehicles, but the exhaust fumes that are being discussed here. This thread is something unique to the Explorer, and not normal under any circumstance.

I'm not referring to the rotten egg smell (which is occasional, and also seen on some other vehicles, but the exhaust fumes that are being discussed here. This thread is something unique to the Explorer, and not normal under any circumstance.

The fumes that drivers are experiencing are generally during WOT, which leads me to believe that is likely the cause.
This problem should be affecting all EX.

I've already performed CO2 testing in my EX for two weeks with a detector that reads out PPM and it showed 0 for an entire two weeks (even when smelling the rotten eggs).

The burnt hair smell entering your cabin is caused from the rear auxiliary HVAC . The fumes enter the cabin when negative air pressure is created inside the cabin and the HVAC then acts as a vacuum to draw the fumes in. Pressurization of the cabin is affected by many factors but the occurrence of the fumes entering the cabin would be greatest after hard acceleration or WOT as that is when the most gases are created by the engine and the greatest vacuum effect created by the increased speed of the vehicle generally followed by reducing speed to normal (ex: WOT off ramp onto highway or passing a vehicle and resuming normal speed). If your Ex does not have the rear aux HVAC than I don't believe one would experience what so many of us have and still do inside the cabin of our Explorer's...........which would help explain why some experience it and others don't. Hope this helps.

.......... If your Ex does not have the rear aux HVAC than I don't believe one would experience what so many of us have and still do inside the cabin of our Explorer's...........which would help explain why some experience it and others don't. Hope this helps.
My 2011 Limited had the rear HVAC and it never had the smell.

Peter

Here's what an expert engineer in the Florida case had to say about it.

"4. I also attended, and recorded, the testing of Ms. Knutson’s car by the Ford
expert, which occurred on the same day as the inspection. The testing involved dropping
the air pressure inside the vehicle, to mimic what happens to the air pressure when the car
is driven at a wide open throttle while the air conditioning was turned to “recirculate.” At
the same time, a fog machine was placed outside the car’s rear liftgate to see whether fog
entered the cabin. It did.
5. This test was similar to, though not as complete as, the test I performed on
the Knutson vehicle the day before the Ford test. (Ford executives did not participate in or
witness these tests). Like Ford, I used a vacuum to decrease the air pressure inside the
vehicle. Unlike Ford, however, I removed the interior plastic cladding so that I could see the
fog’s entrance points into the car. Also, again unlike Ford, I reversed the experiment, by
placing the fog machine inside the car and increasing the car’s air pressure, again through a
vacuum. I could see the fog escape from the vehicle, which again told me the likely exhaust
entrance points into the car.
6. Based on my visual observations, it is clear that the great majority of the fog
entered the Knutson Explorer through the liftgate. The fog seeps in around the edges of the
liftgate, around the edges of the rubber bumper used to seat the rear window into the
liftgate, and through water drainage holes that are cut into the liftgate and lead into the
car’s interior.
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct."

Here's what an expert engineer in the Florida case had to say about it.

"4. I also attended, and recorded, the testing of Ms. Knutson’s car by the Ford
expert, which occurred on the same day as the inspection. The testing involved dropping
the air pressure inside the vehicle, to mimic what happens to the air pressure when the car
is driven at a wide open throttle while the air conditioning was turned to “recirculate.” At
the same time, a fog machine was placed outside the car’s rear liftgate to see whether fog
entered the cabin. It did.
5. This test was similar to, though not as complete as, the test I performed on
the Knutson vehicle the day before the Ford test. (Ford executives did not participate in or
witness these tests). Like Ford, I used a vacuum to decrease the air pressure inside the
vehicle. Unlike Ford, however, I removed the interior plastic cladding so that I could see the
fog’s entrance points into the car. Also, again unlike Ford, I reversed the experiment, by
placing the fog machine inside the car and increasing the car’s air pressure, again through a
vacuum. I could see the fog escape from the vehicle, which again told me the likely exhaust
entrance points into the car.
6. Based on my visual observations, it is clear that the great majority of the fog
entered the Knutson Explorer through the liftgate. The fog seeps in around the edges of the
liftgate, around the edges of the rubber bumper used to seat the rear window into the
liftgate, and through water drainage holes that are cut into the liftgate and lead into the
car’s interior.
I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct."

Thanks Dude

Thanks Dude

You're welcome, Gypsy. I quoted that to point out that it seems that you may be getting warm with your post regarding cabin pressure. I suspect there is more to it than that, but credit where credit is due. I haven't read all of the filings in the Florida lawsuit, but I have perused enough of it to have some hope that there will be a large-scale reckoning with this problem at some point.

Thanks for letting me know. I am not too familiar with Ford and this blog, since I never before made the mistake to obtain a Ford SUV. (and I will not again)

I did crawl from under a rock - I have never had to seek assistance like this with my SUVs before (or any other vehicle - perhaps because I had not owned a Ford before. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
There really has been no positive and lasting solution found for this issue. A few members has the smell reduced.
See post 2131 above for more info.

Peter

When I go wide open throttle and reach red line, I notice that heat creeps out of the vents and there is a noticeable momentary temperature increase inside the cabin. This will only occur if I have the HVAC system off. Is this issue related to the exhaust smell issue?

I just had the vehicle detailed so it only smells lemon fresh inside. I'm thinking of adding a carbon monoxide detector with a digital part per million readout.

When I go wide open throttle and reach red line, I notice that heat creeps out of the vents and there is a noticeable momentary temperature increase inside the cabin. This will only occur if I have the HVAC system off. Is this issue related to the exhaust smell issue?

I just had the vehicle detailed so it only smells lemon fresh inside. I'm thinking of adding a carbon monoxide detector with a digital part per million readout.
I doubt it has anything to do with the 'smell' issue, especially if there is no smell.

Peter

Blade_Runner, sounds like the car is shutting off the A/C compressor momentarily to maximize power to the wheels when the driver commands maximum acceleration.

I have had many vehicles, to include a 99 Durango, 12 Durango, and I am currently driving a rental 16 Durango. None of them, nor my cars (to include my 16 Fusion or 02 Taurus or 02 Chrysler 300M) have that smell. So I guess that no, it is not normal. Additionally, my 16 Explorer is the only one to give my wife constant headaches due to the CO2 or smell - which went away as soon as she stopped driving it. (She stopped driving it because the vehicle has been in the shop for almost 90 days, therefore the rental.)

That is exactly when we found the smell: getting onto the interstate at high velocity and RPMs. A little at first, then it was overwhelming.

Thanks for the link. Due to the smell I had already assumed it was something to do with the Cats and them not liking when we give it the full beans haha. I don't think it is anything serious as it is only under hard accel. I certainly don't smell exhaust under normal driving or at highway speeds which is good. I guess it is just unpleasant and I have never had any of my cars new or old have that rotten egg/sulfur catalytic converter smell come into the cabin under hard acceleration.

Thanks. Guess I will start pestering them about it.

My Explorer has had the entire system, to include the Cat Converters, replaced at least 3 times, according to the dealership. I would not know - I have not seen my vehicle in about 2 or 3 months; I lost track already... I feel I already own the Durango that has been rented for me by the dealership...

My Explorer has had the entire system, to include the Cat Converters, replaced at least 3 times, according to the dealership. I would not know - I have not seen my vehicle in about 2 or 3 months; I lost track already... I feel I already own the Durango that has been rented for me by the dealership...
If you read and accept post 2132, you'll see that the exhaust system has nothing to do with it.

If you read and accept post 2132, you'll see that the exhaust system has nothing to do with it.
Please remember that it is not up to me. All repairs had been discussed solely between Ford and the dealership. I just got an occasional report.

Since you "sort of" own a 2016 Sport, can you "sort of" give it back?
In short, yes. Sort of.

Ford has a buy-back program. For some reason that they would not disclose, I did not qualify for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I own (sort of) a new 2016 Explorer. I do not know how many other people have had this issue: CO2 or some sort of exhaust coming into the cabin after revving up your vehicle past 3000 RPM (such as passing another vehicle or coming onto the interstate and needing to accelerate).

My main question is: Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution?

I have relied on Ford and the dealership that sold me the vehicle for answers, but they seem as lost as some of us owners are. My vehicle has been at the dealership for over 90 days straight, plus a few visits before this long stay at the Ford Inn, as I call it now. I have had rental SUVs for this long, and I don't even remember what my vehicle looks like.

If you're not aware of what is going on with this issue, see the following:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/ooh-that-smell-nhtsa-investigates-ford-explorer-exhaust-leaks/
http://www.classaction.org/explorer-exhaust-leaks

Of course, the 2016 model is not listed in the lawsuit, I estimate because the suit initiated before the vehicle hit the streets in 2015.

Also, this issue seems to affect F150 models.

So far there has not been a recall.

I spoke to the dealership a few days ago. They have replaced the exhaust three times, have test-driven it a bunch more, have had other non-Ford experts come in to look at it and found nothing. At this point, I am concerned that the vehicle is not going to return to me in the pristine condition it was when I delivered it to the dealership.

In Virginia, there is a law that entitles the buyer to a refund. My next step this week is to go through the Better Business Bureau to begin the third-party negotiations. If that does not work, I will have to hire an attorney and see this through. According to the law, I am entitled to a full refund, to include interests paid on the vehicle and any additions I have made to it that cannot be returned to me, if the vehicle has been more than 30 days in the shop, if there is a serious concern that was not fixed on the first visit, or if the vehicle has been repaired without success three times. I am three for three... :-(

http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacodepopularnames/motor-vehicle-warranty-enforcement-act

Ford also has a buyback program for instances like this. Yes, I attempted it, but I did not pass their "good faith review." I requested a copy of such review and its detailed results to no avail. They won't even submit my request to their legal department because I am not represented by an attorney.

Please advise if you have found, or someone you know has found, a solution to this issue so that I may advise Ford, since they have no clue...

I should have stayed with Dodge (which is, by the way, the rental I have had for 2 months and it is pretty darn good!).

Thanks.
After nearly 3 months, the dealership seems to have found an answer: the rear hatch seal. I drove it today and did not smell anything. Seems silly. If your seal is split at the bottom, that might be the culprit. The dealership brought in an expert with a CO2 sniffer, and that's how it was found.

Now, the parking sensors were not fixed and someone dinged it, so I will take it on a long drive later...

Back