Carlovers Desert Beater Build | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carlovers Desert Beater Build

Well im starting to source parts and gather up some good stuff. I figured id start a thread just to show everyone that the ideas are. Should be a pretty fun setup when done. Everything will be being built by Brandon at BTF Fab.

The rear will be a 4 link with a panhard bar and cantilever coilovers. Shooting for around 20" of rear travel. Full size van 9", and should be around 3.5" wider per side than stock

Front will be a BTF front setup more than likely with a fully fabbed spindle with d44 hubs and uniball upper and lowers. Should pull around 16-17" of travel. Will be around 5" wider a side than stock.

It will be a fairly slow build due to finances. It will be built in stages obviously and should take around 12-16 months to be fully complete.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added some bracing and support tubes. Will get better pics tonite. Was even able to reuse the carpet. Came out really really nice.

Attachments

• expocage.jpg
    expocage.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,614

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Those shocks are looong. Looks like a nice simple setup, can't wait to see it perform sometime.

Looks like a sweet set up, are you gonna run air bumps? What up/down travel #'s are you aiming for?

Bumps are a must, but ran short on funds for now. but in the next few weeks ill run some radflo bumps for sure. Right now its 9.5" uptravel and 6" down. There is more down travel there for sure but we need to move the rear shackle hanger forward. We are gonna experiment a little with shackle lengths also. Good thing is at full bumps with this setup the leafs do not go into negative arch which is key to thier lasting awhile.

Ahhh that's right, I remember you mentioning the Radflo's. I've got some bumpstops to install in the rear of my truck. Unfortunately they aren't bling airbumps, good ol' urethane will have to do for now.

So you get the chance to take it out this past weekend? how did it do?

Trying to decode from here where to go. Of course a cage will be built next month, but after that...........

More than likely a junkyard 9" and rear glass, not 100% sure where to go though. Hmmmmmmmm decisions decisions....

Damn, that's big.

The rear hoop looks good. :thumbsup:

Thanks Colin. Yeah thats big, i have no clue how im going to keep my stock dash which was a key goal of mine. But anything over 4,000 lbs requires 2", and my explorer weighed 3,960 lbs when stock. So with added weight from cage, tires, and other things id need to shed about 400 pnds to be able to use 1 3/4.

Back