Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Section525 - D44 2nd gen. leaves SAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since I have the axle in-hand finally... I guess I can start my thread.

I bought this axle about a month ago from a guy in OR and finally made it around to picking it up yesterday. I watched as he actually took the axle out from under the truck. It's pretty clean.

1983 Jeep Wagoneer LP D44

The plans:
Rubicon Express leaf springs (unless someone suggests otherwise)
4.88s
Detroit

Then SOA the rear, add a locker, and 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 adapters (I heard they make them). So far I am thinking about going 35/36s BFGs or IROKs.

So.... any suggestions?

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 7,030
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 7,072
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 7,017

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats plenty :)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well, I just need to ream the pitman and it would be steerable! :cool:

Got the box all mounted good, the steering shaft good, and the power steering lines in. It steers awesome with no links hooked up! :p

Maybe B2Dude will let me borrow his reamer tomorrow...

Attachments

• 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 901
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 909

Tomorrow I may work on my brakelines and fab up a new tranny x-member.

section525 said:
Tomorrow I may work on my brakelines and fab up a new tranny x-member.

you had to cut yours out? and what are doing for a front driveshaft?

Stic-o said:
you had to cut yours out? and what are doing for a front driveshaft?

I didn't have to cut it out.. but with all my adapter junk to be true 4wd... it sets my tcase back 5" over stock. So there's no way the driveshaft will clear the crossmember when I have 26" of travel. :p So I'm making a new one a few inches back.

As for the front shaft I'll probably take it up to High Angle Driveline when it's done and see what Jesse can do for me. :cool:

Nice steering shaft, how much $$$ if you don't mind? Shoot me a PM with where you got it etc.

Lookin good ;).

So what exactly will have 26" of travel!?!??

It's from a 95 Aerostar. $12. :D

section525 said:
when I have 26" of travel. :p

Travel is not mesured in how far you have to lift your leg to get in. :p

Well it should be!

got a couple ?s here Section. first what did your ubolts and plates come off of ?second what size tubing did you use for your front spring mounts ?

Why didnt you just remount the box at more of an angle? If you would have rotated the box just a few degrees you would have gotten rid of most of your bad steering shaft bind...

james t said:
Why didnt you just remount the box at more of an angle? If you would have rotated the box just a few degrees you would have gotten rid of most of your bad steering shaft bind...

It's rotated as far as it can be without the pitman arm contacting the bottom of the frame. Once the upper left part of the box makes contact with the top of the frame, anymore rotating would bring the pitman arm gear waaay up.

Attachments

• q.jpg
    q.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 871

JS91X said:
got a couple ?s here Section. first what did your ubolts and plates come off of ?second what size tubing did you use for your front spring mounts ?

U-bolts and plates are stock Wagoneer junk. The crossmember is 2x6 1/4 wall.. and the actual spring hangers are 3.5" sqaure tubing, 1/4 wall, with one side cut off.

OK, so now that you've got that figured out, where in the world does your shock go? :confused:
And it sure doesn't look like a whole lot of room between your pitman arm and tie rod.

Jefe said:
OK, so now that you've got that figured out, where in the world does your shock go? :confused:
And it sure doesn't look like a whole lot of room between your pitman arm and tie rod.

I was actually lookin at your threads last night for shock hoops.. but jefethegreat.com must have been down. :( But I'm not even sure where the bestest place to put them would be.

no the shocks are easy...well exsept that driver side one where some num nutts put a steering box :p

Really, how important is a driver's side shock? I mean, duct tape has to be able to solve this problem somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back