Tim's '93 Sport | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tim's '93 Sport

1993 Ford Explorer Sport

Drivetrain

VW 1.9l BEW TDI, stage 4 Malone tune, Garret VNT17 Turbo
TD Conversions trans adapter
M5OD from 1998 Explorer (Replaced original A4LD)
Stock Borg Warner 1354E

Front Suspension
Dana 35 TTB 3.73
Warn 37780 Dana 35 hubs
James Duff 3” long arm lift
Progressive coils
Dual shocks
BrianBuilt Fab diff guard
James Duff steering stabilizer
1993 Chevy K1500 brake lines

Rear Suspension
Ford 8.8 3.73 limited slip
Alcan Spring 3” lift leaf springs
1970’s Jeep J10 brake line

Wheel and Tires
Cragar Soft 8 16x7, 4in backspace with second gen center caps
285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs

Interior
3D printed ash tray switch panel
Autometer A-Pillar gauge pod with Autometer boost and EGT gauges
Pioneer headunit
Pioneer 4 way speakers
Pioneer 10in sub hidden in place of factory storage pocket in trunk
Pioneer amp

Exterior
Custom swing out tire carrier using stock rear bumper
Clear cut headlights with better bulbs
BrianBuilt Fab cowl light brackets with KC Rally 400 spots
KC 26 series amber fogs mounted behind front grille
Five foot FireStik for CB
91-92 Sport fender trim
First gen Expedition tow hooks

Other Modifications
1994 Jeep ZJ steering shaft
Custom auxiliary/upfitter circuits
A/C delete

Future Modifications
4.56 gears with lockers
Atlas II
Built in sliders (rocker panels are rusty)
Hidden winch behind factory front bumper
Limit straps and bump stops
Skid plates
1-2 more inches of lift

8DEB1F4F-E48B-4431-8771-8E07A0440820.jpeg

3890FE78-7004-430D-B640-2BF81F81F30C_1_201_a.jpeg

73FC2F84-0789-4FC5-B8EB-24B076436324_1_201_a.jpeg

09E5555E-0A82-41E3-9D42-A921AD7F1998.jpeg

aa1efc78-13a6-4f34-97df-eab4032a2c13_zpselkytlnl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the idea of using two 10" long 1/4" extensions I'll remember that one
I don't use a trans jack for 5 speeds, we just bench press them in place, the trans jack just gets in the way with the m5od
I have some of those same Caterpillar LED work lights I love them!
Keep up the good work, this is better then going to the movies :)

:popcorn:

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It might be a Texas thing then...
Here's a link to their trans jack... Transmission Jack Rental | Sunbelt Rentals
Just for reference. Here in San Antonio, they rent for $34/day + taxes.
It's big and bulky, but it works. They also have a high-lift trans jack if your Explorer is up on a lift.

I like the idea of using two 10" long 1/4" extensions I'll remember that one
I don't use a trans jack for 5 speeds, we just bench press them in place, the trans jack just gets in the way with the m5od
I have some of those same Caterpillar LED work lights I love them!
Keep up the good work, this is better then going to the movies :)

:popcorn:

Yah I kinda figured I can bench the M5OD in place since I managed to bench the transfer case out:eek: It helps being a former offensive lineman!

I need to get another one or two of those lights. Got this one as a gift from my in-laws and love it!

Does that mean I’m more entertaining than a movie?;)

It might be a Texas thing then...
Here's a link to their trans jack... Transmission Jack Rental | Sunbelt Rentals
Just for reference. Here in San Antonio, they rent for $34/day + taxes.
It's big and bulky, but it works. They also have a high-lift trans jack if your Explorer is up on a lift.

Called Sunbelt here and they rent them for $38 a day, buuuut they don’t have one in stock right now:( Called United Rental (who I deal with at work quite a bit) and they didn’t have anything either. Renting would’ve been nice, but buying one will work too. Never hurts to have one ready to use!

Day 5:

Short day today since I had to go into work this morning. But, the auto is out!!

BD373E25-48EA-410A-8ADD-6A87F214DC0F.jpeg

Started pulling shift linkage and other automatic related hardware out of the Explorer.

I’ll be back at it on Tuesday. Hoping that putting stuff together will go quicker. The only thing I really have to figure out is how to rearrange all the stuff in my custom center console since there will be a shifter right in the middle of it now:thumbsup:

Day 6:

Started the day out by pulling off the flex plate and old block/trans plate. I was fully expecting and prepared to replace my rear main seal today. The Explorer has had an oil leak that looked like a rear main for a while now. But wouldn’t you know it, the rear main was in perfect condition! Not even seeping. The oil leak is coming from the pan gasket at the back. Not much I can do about that until I swap the motor in a few years here.

Moved on to getting pedals swapped out and getting the clutch master in. Was taking the firewall plate off. First bolt came off no problem! Second bolt busted the welded nut off the firewall underneath the dash:banghead: Gave up on the pedals for the day since I’ll need someone to hold the nut while I take the bolt out.
8A902221-4238-46B1-8D88-61B182E1AFC5.jpeg

Got the transmission up on the bench and installed the new slave cylinder.
8B0115C7-AEAC-450A-A211-E2FAC6107116.jpeg

Back underneath. Got the new block plate on. Got the flywheel on and torqued down. Was time to put the clutch on when I realized that I didn’t have any pressure plate bolts:banghead: Was on track to have the 5 speed in by the end of the day, but that didn’t happen. Guess it was just one of those day.
BCFD2014-ADDE-479C-95EB-1DD664396E41.jpeg

Ordered the bolts, I think I chose to have them delivered Friday. Can’t remember for sure. Looking like I’ll be doing some small things and some shop cleanup on Thursday. I think I’ll have the transmission in on Saturday. Hopefully anyway...

Day 7:

Uuuuggggghhhhh:banghead:

The “pressure plate” bolts I waited for were flywheel bolts. Got the wrong part number from someone in another group. (ATP zx-100 are flywheel bolts) So clutch didn’t make it in today. Went to O’Reillys and they were able to find them for me. Just picked them up a little bit ago.

If anybody needs pressure plate bolts, the correct part number for ARP bolts is: ARP 250 2201. They are 5/16-18 1” long bolts.

Moved on to swapping pedals out. The pedal assembly I have (out of a 98) doesn’t fit in my 93. Shaft on the clutch pedal isn’t long enough for the bracket. So, junkyard run in the morning to get the correct pedals.

My dad gave me a hand getting the other clutch master block plate bolt out. That was really the only productive thing today.

Going to be back at it tomorrow to make up for the lack of progress today.

Stuff happens sometimes. I know, because it happens to me all the time! lol Don't sweat it.

Napa (if you have one) has a really good Automotive hardware selection for hard to find or oddball size stuff. I believe I got all my plate bolts from the bins there.

Progress is progress, no matter how small!

I’m glad I’m not the only one! Always seems like everything kinda goes wrong all at the same time. Thinking tomorrow will be better.

Napa is probably my favorite place to shop! We’ve got one down the street from where I live in town.

The garage I work out of belongs to my parents and is 25 minutes from where I live outside of town. Usually just have to shop at the closest place to them so I don’t have to go back into town!

my bad I could've sworn your post said "flywheel bolts" my apologies. my clutch and pressure plate came with bolts. also did you get the larger SOHC clutch?

It’s all good man! Saw someone else give the same information you did on a thread here. And that thread was pretty old. Things happen.

Yah I was surprised my clutch didn’t come with them. But that’s why I never got them in the first place, thinking they’d come with the clutch.

I thought about getting the SOHC clutch. But just ended up getting the OHV one for now. Figured since the motor would be coming out in a few years I can do the SOHC clutch then if I feel the need to.

The sohc clutch is nice, good pedal feel, larger driven disc, etc BUT its also twice the cost!!
Get er done

:sawzall:

Day 8:

Back to good days again!

Made a junkyard run this morning and got the pedals I needed! Pulled them from a 93 Ranger. Something about tearing apart a junkyard truck made me feel a lot better:D

Got to the garage and got the clutch in!
D06A5F26-2028-45A7-82FF-AEDF9B02A4B7.jpeg

Then the transmission went in without any issues! A lot easier to reach the bell housing bolts with the M5OD in. Sure am glad I got a trans jack too. I could’ve benched the transmission in, but the nerve damage I’ve got in my left arm was really acting up today.
B3937175-4A68-4EED-82FC-DBBCCE239C7C.jpeg

Got the trans crossmember in. Then cut the trans tunnel plate for the shifter.
7E56C0CF-157F-4AB4-864C-44FD9402128D.jpeg

That’s where I left off for the day. Tuesday I’ll be getting the transfer case and driveshafts back in. Then pedals and clutch master. Still need to get fluids for the transmission and transfer case, and a vacuum cap. The Explorer might be driving by the end of the week!

Day 9:

Long productive day today!

Started out today putting the starter in. Then moved on to getting the transfer case back in and the rear drive shaft. Was getting ready to put the front driveshaft in when I realized I should wait until I get the trans wiring done and the y pipe in.
1A8C7758-9EAA-4537-80F8-7DC13444229D.jpeg

Then I pulled the dash apart to get the cluster out. Forgot to grab a black plate from the junkyard that goes in place of the shift indicator. Ran a couple pieces of electrical tape over the indicator and it looks factory! Forgot to take a picture of that.

Then moved onto getting the pedals in. Had to move the parking brake and the main wiring harness out of the way. But got them in!
FF39D5C2-C4AE-4A2B-8919-C890B8C8944F.jpeg

After that, worked on getting the clutch master in. Had to pull the driver inner splash guard to make it easier to fish the line over the frame.
BEB5AB00-D117-4CEA-95AD-74362FE0DE37.jpeg

Thursday I’ll be hooking the clutch lines up and bleeding the slave. Any tips on this? My clutch reservoir has a rubber bladder inside of it. Does this stay in the reservoir or is it just in there for shipping to keep air out? It’s one of those pre bled master cylinders.

Also, what fluid do I need for the transmission and transfer case? Mercon V? And how much? Forgot to look at my manual before I left today.

Going to try to get everything else back together enough to drive it on Thursday! Also need to figure how to modify my custom center console, if I can, to fit the shifter. Just looking at it I think I can make it work and should only have to rearrange things a little bit. My mom even offered to sew a custom shift boot for me:D

Nice!!
The rubber bladder stays after you fill the fluid up to the line

Regular mercon/dex for your 5 speed and t case, you do NOT need or want to use Mercon V

Cant wait to see what you do with the console!!

Good day indeed !!

Curious to the placement spot of the resi. They are mounted firmly to the inner fender, by the cruise control vac tank, and that spot on the firewall you have it at now, doesn't that section flex easily?

As far as bleeding a "Pre-Bled" unit... Just remove the resi cap, crack open the bleeder a smidge, and gravity bleed it slowly at the trans for a few minutes. That's it, done.

For my manual swap, the electrical was the hardest part and took the longest. It was in a 2nd gen, so was a little different combining job 1 & 2 harnesses together to make a starting circuit. Hopefully yours is simple and straight forward and might only need a jumper to get crank & no harness re-pins to get spark.

Yay for Mom! That will help a bunch. I had one shipped from overseas from Redline Goods for mine. (They used to be a vendor here) Took months to get it, and they made it wrong. Ugh.

Back