This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This forum needs some excitement!! DB_1's Ranger SAS rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB_1

Elite Ranger
Reaction score
City, State
La Quinta, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 SC Ranger xlt
I know I know, wrong forum but this one needs some love :p
I figured it's time I start a thread on the new 3 link I'm building for my front end.
This will be the 4th incarnation for my Ranger...1st lift was a 4"superlift (ttb) 2nd was 6" Skyjacker stage II (ttb) 3rd was Fabritech SAS kit (about 7-8")

For the 4th suspension re-do it will be a 3 link w/panhard. Technicly a 4 link but I still choose to call it a 3-link :D Pass. side will have a single link and drivers side will have a double link. The double link will be similar to the Rubicon Express links except for the links will be stacked on top of each other at the axle end.

Progress has been slow up until now as i've had to wait to gather tubing and link parts plus i've changed my mind several times on the joints i'll be using, size of links...etc.

Materials being used for project:

Main links: 1.5" x .250 wall DOM sleeved with 1.75" x .120 DOM
Upper link for drivers side: 1.5" x .250 wall
Bushings and joints: 3/4" shank x 3/4" through bolt urethane bushings (not johnny joints) at axle end
7/8" shank x 3/4" rod ends for frame end

Misc. tabs are from Poison Spyder and Blue Torch Fab and the double link brackets were made by me. I'm re-using the early bronco track bar bracket but it is now 2-3" closer to the pass side knuckle since the radius arm wedges are no longer there.

I was originally going to make my own track bar but it won't work with a straight tube so I ordered track bar for an early Bronco from B.C. Broncos since it has the bend I need.

Shocks: Some of you saw my post awhile back showing off my King c/o's...they are 2.5" dia. 14 travel and I spent most of this weekend making/mocking up shock hoops and getting the placement right for them.
I wanted the hoops to be stout so I tried bending them out of 1.5" x .188 wall DOM but my bender didn't like that too much. I ended up tweaking the bronze bushings where the main pin goes through and was getting major deflection so I had to stop. I did manage to get some 1.5" x .120 bent after the fact and it bent like butter compared to the .188 wall.

OK, now for pics :thumbsup:
We'll start with what i've taken off, 1st pic shock mounts and coil buckets

ttb_susp.JPG

second pic: axle wedges
axle_wedges.JPG

Bracket pics:
pass_brkts.JPG

pass_brkt2.JPG

Here's the double link brackets I made:
link_brkts.JPG

My bent bender :(
bent_bender.JPG

Shock hoops done :cool:
shk_hoop.JPG

Shock mock up pics:
mockup_1.JPG

mockup_2.JPG

mockup_3.JPG

More updates will probably be later this week or next weekend...Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet...I want coilovers :drool: :thumbsup:

Cool :D Looks like it's coming along great!

About time you started a thread on this :D If you want I can cut that 1.75 tube I have of yours to the lengths you need and send them off in the mail if you dont want to wait till new years. Then Ill give you the rest of it at new years.

Have you thought about going to histeer so you could get your track bar flatter/higher? Just wondering.

One last thing, dont be braking that bender, I still need to come out and use it to build a cage :D

Dave,

Are you going to build a cage for the Engine to tie it together? We on for Saturday? I have a couple of presidents looking for you. ;) Then I can Finally Start my own SAS thread :D

Nice, Dave!!! But will it be ready by New Years?

Signing up.

stic-o said:
Are you going to build a cage for the Engine to tie it together
RangerX said:
Nice, Dave!!! But will it be ready by New Years?
Both were going to be my questions. Looking good though. :thumbsup:

Steve...yes on the engine cage and yes for this Sat. :thumbsup:

The hoops will have a brace for each leg going from the top of the frame to (as close to) the top of the hoop as possible plus i'll have an engine crossbrace tying the 2 hoops together.

Ready for New Yrs.? not likely...I say that just because of they way things have been going with the build so far but we'll see.

Matt, I just may come down and pick it up...i'll let you know what my plan is.
On the hi-steer issue, I do want to go that route but not with this axle. I want to get everything dialed in with the axle I have and run it for awhile then the plan is to go with a Diamond 9 housing with D60 ends and True hi-9 center section...then i'll go hi steer with that.

I got my track bar from B.C.B. and tabs from BTF today but didn't get my rock bushings, they sent those out seperate from the tabs :rolleyes:

panhard_tabs.JPG

Can you get me a measurement on that trac bar? I was planning on using an adjustable 73-79 F150 bar, but then realized that since I'm moving in the c-wedges for the full widths = not gonna work with that size trac bar. If you can get me a measurement, that would be awesome. Also, did you order the 66-75 or the 76-77 trac bar? Thanks

bmxking5,
My trac-bar will be set at 31" and can be set at a minimum 30".
31" is as far as i'd feel safe to extend the rod end out. B.C.B. doesn't really give you an option for either the 66-75 or 76-77 trac-bar probably because the frame end of the trac-bar comes with a 3/4" rod end. 66-77 trac-bars have a 9/16" through bolt don't they? I don't remember what the difference was exactly on that.

Small update: Got a little work done on the shock hoops yesterday...cut them down to size, notched them and made slugs that will go in the notches which will then be welded to the frame on plates. I want to get all the notching and grinding done before I weld anything. It's nice when all you have to do is just weld for a day or two. I got my rubber rock bushings from BTF yesterday as well, appearantly they dont make these themselves. They have another source they order from and have them drop shipped. They are beefy as hell though...3/4" thread shank with a 3/4" through bolt, picture the large eye of your leaf spring and that gives you an idea. I'll post comparo pics later of the rock bushings I was going to use from Poison Spyder. Those had a 5/8" through bolt x 3/4" shank but looked like toys compared to the BTF units.

Awesome work thus far man!

Maybe you should sell a SAS "kit" hahaha
no more wedges!!

Thanks 410,
I gotta make sure this all works before I can do that :p

Here's the comparo pic I promised showing the size difference on the rod ends and rock bushings. I was originally going to use the smaller stuff...ok, no more pics until I actually finish something :D
end_lnks.JPG

Here's a pic of notching in progress:
notch_pic.JPG

Whoooo Pertty! :thumbsup:

I wish I could cut off my wedges :( Which brings me to the question, What did you do with your old arms :D

I melted them down to make new parts...nah j/k :p
I still have them and we could mock them up on the axle and get a measurement to see where they would land on your frame.
I'll have your anchor...uhhh, I mean axle ready to go tomorrow :thumbsup:

This weekend after Stic-o picks up his axle it's back to work on the rig. I'll get the shock hoops buttoned up and welded to the frame then move on to the link brackets on the axle. The one pic I have of the link brackets already welded to the pass side will have to be removed...well, one of them anyways since the new bushings I got are considerably wider.

Any Updates this weekend? Some of those extra parts you have there could make a mighty nice traction bar for the rear axle.

I finished all the cutting, notching and grinding I needed to do for the shock hoops and I made frame plates from 3/16" plate that the hoops will mount to.
I'll get that stuff welded up Thurs. and Fri. when I'm off from work. After that gets taken care of i'm going to move to the axle and get the double link bracket boxed in and welded to the axle. I'm gonna have to knock one of the brackets off I welded previously on the pass. side. Since I changed my mind on the rock bushings I'm using, the new one won't fit the way the brackets are set up now.
If I manage to get that stuff taken care of my next hurdle will be to fab up a track bar bracket and link mounts on the frame end then there will be the links themselves which should be a piece of cake. Pics this weekend.

You know dave, I forgot to ask you to see the coilovers :( But then maybe it's better off, you probally did,'t want puddles of drewl on your driveway :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah well, I guess you'll see them soon enough though.

Good news, today was my last day of work until after the new year :thumbsup: So i'll have couple solid days to get some work done on the truck.
More good news, I got new bronze bushings for my bender and all is well again. Not that I needed it right now for anything but it bummed me out at first that it was all tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back