21Robbie21 SAS | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

21Robbie21 SAS

ok so last night i went and picked up a '84 wagoneer D44 Full Width or WT, Driver Drop, Non-Vac Disconnect, W/Locking Hubs, Complete, its got rust and mud, but it seems good to go. I'm going to run leaves for simplicity. I am 2wd right now and the SAS will be the first step toward 4wd. The axle is 63" wide so i think im going to run spacers in the back. I want to do this as cheap as possible. I want to run 36" Iroks or another 36/37 when im finished. Im hoping to finish in ~3 months, but im not sure how realistic that is. Bryan (BMXking) lives close to me, and if he ever finishes his :D he will have the PRIVELEDGE of helping me :thumbsup: i am open to any suggestions, ideas, tips, tricks, specs, references, or anything that might help me do this project professionally, cheaply, and quickly. I just spent 200 on this axle, ordered a yakima roof basket, and a new cobra CB and antenna, so im outta cash for now, and im going to PC for spring break on April 1st so i might not take any steps these next two-three weeks. But after that im anxious!

sorry the rugs arent a good background, but its in the unfinished part of my basement and thats whats on the floor and damn this thing is heavy!
100_1347.jpg

100_1351.jpg

100_1348.jpg

you think its dirty now? this is after i hosed and scrubbed of the initial Cm thick covering of mud

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sorry, I think it's a Millermatic 251.

ARE YOU READDDYYY!? well its 99% done, and i have stolen it from them. the only thing left is the front driveshaft is being shortened, so its not in right now, and the transfercase shifter is being extended for the body lift. I drove it last night and today, and starting late last night and all today i started getting driveline vibrations that are probably being caused by axle wrap(3in block in the rear) that they will be working on that when i return it to them this weekend. AS for pictures, it is raining right now so unless it clears up in the next hour you ladies will have to wait untill tommrow, but dont worry, its worth the wait ;)

AWESOME !! i can only imagine the looks students around UGA are gonna give ya !!! she ride as good as a granny's caddy ???

did you regear front and rear ?? how do you like the true trac ??

Yes both front and rear got regeard to 4.88s. I never even felt the True Trac in the back at all when I test drove it. It works great in my opinion.

And yes, he's right....it's definitely worth the wait for the pics. Everyone that's come to the shop in the past month thinks it's bad as hell :thumbsup:

more pics too come, my roomates computer is soo slow and mine is broken, they will detail my car this weekend and ill take more pics.
000_0005.jpg

000_0004.jpg

000_0003.jpg

000_0011.jpg

000_0010.jpg

Mang thats high. Any flex shots?

Wow, looks good. Pretty tall for my tastes, but the fab work looks real good. Are your going to change your steering at all, i.e. hi-steer?

yeah its definately tall, but i love it. I need to make moves to widen my stance i.e. wider tires/wheels and less backspacing. and yes high steer is in the future, when the money comes. probably wont get any flex shots untill after this weekend, they tested it on a forklift when they had it in the shop but only took pictures on camera phones, but it was nasty.

Did you say you were still waiting on a driveshaft or are you going to have one made locally?

i already have a driveshaft, it is being shortened and will be put in tomorrow, approximately 9" of suspension and 3" body so FULL FOOT NOTCH as some might say

Holy Schnikees that's tall. Great work though, it looks real good. :thumbsup:

loos the b/l pronto.....cant say i am a fan ot the front bumper/skidplate either.....i would cut the white body panel off straight so it dosent curve down next to the wheel and run some tube around to add some protection to the sides and it iwll look better too...

Back