• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

21Robbie21 SAS

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
no he used his own welder and it worked on only 110v and did just fine. And it definately wasnt just tacks, you lined the hole thing, but whatever dont worry about it. I am just worried about you fully welding your own car.

allright he must have had a welder with more amps so it worked better...the welds on my truck are pretty good..my rear hangers (ive already had at least 1k pounds in the bed and nothing happened) but that leaves my front hanger..its on there good cause the truck fell off the stands thats where it landed and nothing happened...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
any updates ?? i wanna see this thing wheel !!!

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
any updates ?? mines almost rollin now robbie !!

MEANEXPLODER

Reaction score
City, State
HADDAM, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Shock Towers--

What Part Number Did U Get For F250 Shock Towers???
F4TZ 18183/4 A??????

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Come on slacker... :p:
Haha, he's actually about to have it towed to the shop I work at so that we can redo his spring hangers and steering for him, and get this thing out on the street soon. :thumbsup:

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Robbie's truck is now at the shop I work at (Allsouth Autosports). His front brackets have all been cut out and this coming week we will start building the new ones. His entire front suspension is being redone, we're setting up his steering links, power steering lines, and building a much stronger setup to mount his steering box. We're installing front and rear 4.88s (possibly aussie rear locker), redoing his rear perches, shock mounts, etc. On top of that we are swapping out the transmission and putting in a manual t-case, and front and rear driveshafts. It's definitely going to be an awesome truck when it's all done. :cool: Pics to come soon.

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
Whew, about time....can't wait to see pics.

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Pics Pics Pics !!!!

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I forgot the camera at the shop yesterday so still no pics. Hopefully, I'll have some tomorrow. We've built some really tough hangers for the back of the front springs, rewelded the entire front crossmember, and just finished building and installing the upper and lower bump stop brackets, and modified f250 shock towers. It's got a perfect shackle angle now and sits perfect. Started on the steering today. Trans and t-case came in Friday so they should be installed early this week. Still waiting on a few more parts, but it looks like it should be completed in about 1.5 weeks.

zainyD

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Ranger 4x4 XLT
I forgot the camera at the shop yesterday so still no pics. Hopefully, I'll have some tomorrow.
You're killing me man!

Sounds like you all are making good progress. Looking forward to seeing how things are turning out.

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
no crap on robbie..but if a shop did my truck..it wouldnt be as rewarding in the long run to me.. i hope yall are using Yukon or anything besides genuine gear R&P..they suck..

JS91X

Reaction score
City, State
cumming, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
oh yea did yall figure out why his pinion on the front would not turn at all ?

bmxking5

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
Why would it be a bad thing that Robbie is having us redo it for him? He's at school, and doesn't have a welder, so there is no way that he can get it finished in a reasonable amount of time, and every single weld on his Explorer was weak, as well as hideous. He's needed a DD again for a while, so it needs to get done. He won't have to worry about working out all of the problems that occur when someone tries to do it themself, when they haven't done it before (just like I had to deal with last year). You may not think it's very rewarding saying that a shop rebuilt it for you, but what about the fact that he'll now have a SAFE and extremely capable truck that just can't be built in his driveway in a short period of time.:thumbsup:

The pinion turns just fine. I saw it today and one of the hubs was between lock and free. I turned it to free and everything turned normally...maybe he fixed the problem before it got to the shop, cause I doubt the hub being half way locked was the problem y'all have been trying to fix. Also, we primarily install Yukon gears.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Say Hi to Robbie for me please :D

21robbie21

Elite SPort
Reaction score
City, State
duluth, ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer sport 2001
ya james we will see how rewarding it is for you when your truck falls apart on the highway and blows up. Yeah i would of liked to have done it all myself, and you cant say i didnt try, but it just became unreasonable for me. Yes im sure plenty of people out there, just like the ones on this site can learn and build it themselves. I also dont think one of those people is you. I mean come on james, the guy i paid to come do welds, were 100's times better than yours, and when bryan put my car up on the lift two of the welds just snapped off that he had done. Im not trying to be an #######, its just i dont think your truck is going to be safe.

ANyways.. i can't wait till this thing is done finally and i can actually DRIVE, but more importantly, go offroading. ;)

ANd IZ, just cause i don't work on my car anymore, doesnt mean i dont come to the website, its just i dont have much to say... i mean i was kind of embarassed at first that i had to give in to paying someone, especially since there is like over a thousand dollars wasted on overlap since they have to redo things. Not to mention now bryan is the one who knows whats going on not me, since he is posession of the truck at this time so he makes the posts. But once it is done when are we going to have a big east coast run where we can meet up IZ? :)

Trckmagik

Ole Bag
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Celina, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
I didnt build the explorer I wheel this time either, and it's rewarding when I get to drive it. Plus, I know if something fails that the shop did, they will be the ones out of pocket.

Congrats on a well built rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Props to you for knowing you were in over your head and getting it done right then having it fail down the road. As long as you have fun and like the finished project that is what counts. With that said just a few things you may want to consider: Make sure you have the specality tools to replace parts that may break on the trail. An exaple of this was in moab this past year. A member broke an upgraded TRE on the trail. HE had the stock one to replace however no one had the hex wrench to take it apart to fix it. One tool and a 30 min fix ended up turning into, sitting on the trail with are cell phones tracking down the owner of the company that made the kit to find what the tre was off of. Once we had that info it was another 6 hours before the new part was there then the 3 hours out the rest of the trail.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S let's see your steering box on gen 2 sas Offroad Projects 4
ovrlndr Jay's '92 SAS on F150's Offroad Projects 1
KurtECV The Black Pearl SAS and build Offroad Projects 362
G 2001 ex SAS project Offroad Projects 4
C Chato's '98 V8 Mountaineer SAS build Offroad Projects 4
9 2000 5.0 sas question Offroad Projects 3
F Dana 44 purchased, SAS questions! Offroad Projects 7
L SAS on tons and 40" Offroad Projects 2
SVO42 mushy brakes after SAS Offroad Projects 6
A 2005 sport trac Dana 30 sas (Version 2.0) Offroad Projects 24
madbutcher Madbutchers shitmachine sas Offroad Projects 93
1 D30 sas/soa Offroad Projects 4
F FullBlownModz Dana 44 SAS Build Offroad Projects 18
D Project "Twisted Sister" SAS Front Dana 44, Rear Ford 9" Offroad Projects 46
A Explorer SAS or not for daily driver? Offroad Projects 1
boominXplorer Superduty D50 axle for SAS? Give me your thoughts........ Offroad Projects 7
JTX JTX's Return! 1997 Mountaineer Build Thread SAS/4wd Conversion Offroad Projects 65
CodePoet 1st Gen SAS Toyota Steering Box?? Offroad Projects 3
W Woody's SAS Build Offroad Projects 4
MidnightRebel07 2003 Sport Trac - SAS, SOA started and here's a sneek peek. Offroad Projects 118
I Getting closer to my full width 3 link sas need some help Offroad Projects 5
T Ford explorer sas project Offroad Projects 5
Stic-o 2nd gen SAS steering rubbing on exhaust manifold Offroad Projects 17
A sport track dana 30 sas project Offroad Projects 97
R 2002 Sport Trac SAS rack/pinion Offroad Projects 4
jprentice94 1st gen explorer sas Offroad Projects 20
B SAS for 2002 ford ranger Offroad Projects 0
D dersch6221992 Dana 44 SAS, with a rear SOA Offroad Projects 18
BKennedy Bkennedy's SAS and Rebuild Thread Offroad Projects 2750
T 99 Explorer 1 ton SAS Trail Machine Build Offroad Projects 10
W 99 mounty sas thread Offroad Projects 0
K SAS to do or not to do? Offroad Projects 4
blueka Pickle 2.0 - Full Width SAS/SOA 4406 swap Offroad Projects 208
D 01 Sport Trac SAS Offroad Projects 33
C 94 explorer. Need help with SAS Offroad Projects 1
Y YoungMounty's '97 Mountaineer SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 14
N SAS with ABS? Offroad Projects 24
X xeek's full width sas Offroad Projects 74
Stang5lgt Bronco II SAS Dana 30/8.8.... Offroad Projects 7
C Rocky Mountain Ranger '92 SAS Offroad Projects 32
Stang5lgt Project Lazyboy SAS... Offroad Projects 277
M 94 Re-SAS....leafs to links Offroad Projects 7
jjaganashi Gauging interest on SAS Offroad Projects 10
jjaganashi SAS "Betsy" 1-ton Offroad Projects 90
M mjc79's sas project Offroad Projects 7
LIFTEDXPLODER96 oh ya know just another 2nd gen sas in the works Offroad Projects 34
1 Project Green Hornet '01 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 159
turboexplorer Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread Offroad Projects 969
D My no-budget 91 Sport SAS Offroad Projects 37
Four0Sport Jack's SAS version 3.0 Offroad Projects 270