and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible!

The MSRP on the Rubicon is about half of the H2. I wonder which on is truely superior off the pavement.
Well, that's just silly. One was built to go offroad, the other is a re-bodied grocery getter which has no business offroad at all.

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by unclemeat
The MSRP on the Rubicon is about half of the H2. I wonder which on is truely superior off the pavement. The Hummer does look realy cool!
On the pavement - if your talking about ride quality, the H2 is hands down the winner, it just rides like a stiffer tuned Tahoe with a lot more power than the Rubicon, but definitley not as nimble as an Explorer.

The Rubicon was too stiff for my liking and choppy, my moms friends Ruf Porsche rode like a sedan compared to the Rubicon. But the Rubicon is not really for use on pavement, it's designed for off-roading, not on-road comfort, but again it wasn't that much stiffer than a regualr wrangler, so if you don't mind how a wrangler rides I guess you wouldn't mind the Rubicon's ride.

EDIT - never mind, I thought you said "On-Pavement":confused:

Full Throttle Suspensions Inc. just developed a 9.5" lift kit for the H2. They then mounted some 39.5x15 Super Swampers on it. It now has 18.5" of ground clearance and 16" of travel. Pretty damn cool. I'm sure it helps off roading a bit. Throw on a supercharger and it'll be good to go.

Dead Link Removed

Untill it flops over.....:rolleyes:

Originally posted by BigCJ7
Untill it flops over.....:rolleyes:
OK, I tried to make peace here with my earlier post, and I have respect for any off-roader, no matter what they drive, as long as they are out to have fun. Hell, I am adding a little Jeep stuff to my X, and Jeeps have been using Ford 8.8s for years.

But, a CJ guy making a comment about flopping over................:bounce: Come on now! A vehicle that is infamous for flipping over................

I'm not looking to flame here, I actually can't stand flaming. I just thought your comment was a bit ironic..................

Robb

Originally posted by morrisey0

But, a CJ guy making a comment about flopping over................:bounce: Come on now! A vehicle that is infamous for flipping over................
Robb
heh, that was pretty funny, and especially ironic, the CJ7 is among the most prone to "flipping" off road. Even a jeep guy has to admit that one Bigcj7;)

I will admit that the CJ-5 is VERY prone to flipping over. The early CJ-7's had some problems with it too. In 83 they went to wider axles to make it better. I, for one, have never flopped or rolled my Jeep. I am going to try to change that soon though!!! LOL :confused:
Can anyone honestly say that, that H2 in that pictures is not top heavy? he had better stay on level ground, maybe do some mudding......
That would get tippy as soon as you get off camber, and I would put my money on it. I don't think the stock H2 has a very high center of gravity, it looks pretty good as far as that goes, when it is stock......

For some reason, Morrisey0, you seem to just want to argue. If you wanna argue, fine with me. Heck, why do you think I registered when I read this thread?? LOL ;) :D
Oh, and what Jeep COMES with an 8.8?
I do know some folks that use the 8.8, scavenged from the dead explorers in the bone yard. They are great axles, big ring gear and you can get em with disk brakes. I usually recommend the swap to guys with a D-35C that are tired of fixing broken axles on the trail. It is a cheap, sturdy swap.

For some reason, Morrisey0, you seem to just want to argue. If you wanna argue, fine with me. Heck, why do you think I registered when I read this thread?? LOL
Dude, re-read my post, I couldn't have been polite!;) Did ya miss the part about not caring what any off-roader drove?
But if ya did just register to argue, which I guess is obvious now, why don't ya just pack it up and leave? Or, is this how you get your jollies?
HEHE, Jeepers have been scavenging 8.8s at boneyards, then why are they always posting in our classified section begging for one?

Like I said before, I can't stand flaming..........but people like you that only come in to argue just bother me. I tried my best to be polite.....................

Robb

Hey guys, nice weather were having.

Originally posted by morrisey0
Well, that's just silly. One was built to go offroad, the other is a re-bodied grocery getter which has no business offroad at all.

Robb

Robb, thats funny...what does everyone say about the Explorer?

Once again- the vehicles dont matter- that they get offroad and out into the woods is the point.

BTW- I would bet my vehicle that a H2 can get farther than any Grocery getting explorer, and wont be far behind the wranglers in many areas and it will be a much better hill climber than any SWB. The H2 is based on the Chevy pickup drive train- it has 35" tires and Lockers. With a good driver it will put anyone to shame no doubt. H2 guys wont have to upgrade axles, engines and trannies either before they hit hard core trails- just have a check book.
Ive driven my K2500 places that Jeep guys thought no way- Ive driven it places I thought no way- but thats the point. I will say it again - Going places in your vehicle - NO MATTER WHAT VEHICLE YOU HAVE- and having fun.

This thread is funny- Cj and the Explorer guys come to common ground and bash an H2

Robb gets the funniest post in my book, and BigCJ isnt far behind with his post about having to pull his modified Cj off the mountain with his stock Explorer.

This is great- very entertaining.

CJ if you signed up to start an argument, well, thats too bad I think the original post was directed more at the bravado of the driver than the vehicle. If you have something to contribute thats something else.
Try the trail rides section, see if you can get a ride to Clayton (wheres that? Texas?), or the Land use section-it needs a few more views.

Good Luck to everyone - no matter what you drive

Clayton is in Oklahoma, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME trails. There is everything from mild to wild. You can crawl on rocks, ride ravines, go on scenic trail rides, hit some mud (if that's what you really want to do?), or just enjoy a town full of off road thinking people. There are old logging trails that will take you ALL over the place. Heck, you can drive all the way to Arkansas from Clayton OK on just old logging trails. If you go to clayton, you can't miss the happenings. Trails alllllll over the place.
Oh, and yes I did register for the sake of argument... LOL
I felt that I had to defend the Jeep name!!! Just like you guys feel the need to defend the use of your explod....errrr....Explorer.
I have no qualms in telling anyone that I had to have my stock 02 sploder yank me out of the mountains, I was having a great time on some easy trails, I just got a little overzealous and was on the gas pretty good. Nothing like catching air in a CJ and flattening your front springs. Those things aren't used to having a 360 up front.
After this thread dies, I will probably disapear here, I have had some fun though.

Oh, and I still say the pictured H2 is way too tall to be doing anything but mud or simple trails. Nothing like rolling a 50somethingthousand Dollar SUV cause you have something to prove!!!!

I've been reading and enjoying this thread for a couple days now.:) I don't see this jeeper as being belligerent or a d*ck, just giving his opinion like the rest of us.

BIGCJ7, I think the big difference here is that most all of us wheel our daily drivers. That's not good or bad, it's just the case. If I had the funds to have a dedicated trail vehicle, and something to tow it with, and then since I'm dreaming here,;) a daily driver too, who knows what brand I'd be wheeling.

I'll say it here, I love Jeeps!:eek: My first vehicle was a '54 CJ-3B, followed a few years later by a '64 CJ-5, and I still miss them.:(

I hope you stick around awhile, just don't bring all yer friends! :D ;)

i'm gonna weigh in here.

1- jeeps make great bases for cheap awesome offroad vehicles.

2- explorers do to if you have a bit more money and you want a little more space and comfort while wheeling.

3- you can't compare an apple and an orange a wrangler vs an explorer doesn't make sense at all.

4- i love jeeps! if i ever get out of school with a real job i will own a jeep probably a lot like bigcj7 or whatever his name has. as well as a expedition sized vehicle with the biggest engine they make and a smaller sports car for the wife and for fun on the weekends.

5- explorers are better than jeeps for one thing- looks! i'll admit even the 5.0s need some work to be able to keep up with the jeep v8s, and a little work to outhandle them, and that its been driving me nuts for years (well until recently) because grand cherokees are cooler than my truck. but a properly built explorer street truck is far better than a jeep of the same caliber! jeeps just look funny to me unless they are sky high.

later

Originally posted by BigCJ7
Clayton is in Oklahoma, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME trails. There is everything from mild to wild. You can crawl on rocks, ride ravines, go on scenic trail rides, hit some mud (if that's what you really want to do?), or just enjoy a town full of off road thinking people. There are old logging trails that will take you ALL over the place. Heck, you can drive all the way to Arkansas from Clayton OK on just old logging trails. If you go to clayton, you can't miss the happenings. Trails alllllll over the place.
-----------------------
Nothing like catching air in a CJ and flattening your front springs. Those things aren't used to having a 360 up front. "

Sounds like a great place. Is Clayton public, or pay to play- I live in MD and we are 2-3hrs for pay to play like Paragon in PA, and a new park may be opening in WVA ., or the FS roads/trails in the Georgetown National Forest, For a lot more drive you can get to Tellico. So if its close you are lucky.

What? Those things came with 304s which are the same as the 360(used the same crank as the 304 different bore and bigger valved head) What year again? Maybe they stopped the v-8s in the mid 80s I dont remember. I never had any problems with the springs, just the frames, axles and trans. My last Cj was a 79 with a 390 - 4.56s and 33s and I could crack the frame at will- right up at the front crossmember. That Corporate model 20 axle is something- nice big ring gear, but good luck keeping the hubs on. I had a 74 Cj 5 with the 360 that was a nice combo, except for the trans - couldnt keep gears in that T15- It had 32" Tru Tracs on it- anyone remember those tires? I should never have sold that one.

Robb

It looks like you are making the same stereotype that every other person does about the Explorer and every other mass produced SUVs..Expodition, Tahoe, Blazer, Honda CRV :D , Kia Sportage:D , Hyundai Santa Fe:D , Toyota Rav 4:D ...although few of them are at "home" on the above average trail,some more than others, they are all satisfactory for the everyday SUV buyer. I am not tryin to argue, just intrigued me when i saw that...

it may just be me, but that H2 looks absolutely horrible with that IFS up front. Something weird lookin about it, i think it would look my better with a solid axle. I LOVE the H2 stock but that one looks too "busy" or cluttered up front for my tastes and the tires look small as hell to me although they are massive in actuallity...i will tell you one thing, I would not let the cluttered front end stop me from driving the hell outta that thing...maybe make another version of that Honda-Hummer picture on accident;)

Originally posted by GaSouthern1
it may just be me, but that H2 looks absolutely horrible with that IFS up front. Something weird lookin about it, i think it would look my better with a solid axle. I LOVE the H2 stock but that one looks too "busy" or cluttered up front for my tastes and the tires look small as hell to me although they are massive in actuallity...i will tell you one thing, I would not let the cluttered front end stop me from driving the hell outta that thing...maybe make another version of that Honda-Hummer picture on accident;)

I think it's because they powder coated the parts the same color as the body. If it were just black, it's be much better looking I think. But this is their prototype vehicle, so they want the parts to be plainly visible. Gotta show them off in order to sell them. I'm sure most people will get plain black. I would.

that is probably it, i just cant put a finger on it...who knows...

I like Jeeps and I like Explorers
I'm not quite sure why I'm posting this.
Bottomline: Even built rigs can get stuck. Much of it is in the driver not just the rig. Now can't we all just get along? :grouphug:

Oh wait we dont have all the cool emoticons :confused:

This may not be the proper place to post this opinion but here it goes. GM and Chrysler have mass produced a realitively good trail rig. Ford has changed the explorer into a 4 wheel drive minivan. To bad that the powers that be at Ford have forgotten that some of us actually drive our Explorers on the dirt. So I am going to have to spend my money on building my 91 X. Ford's loss.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by SteveVB
Sounds like a great place. Is Clayton public, or pay to play- I live in MD and we are 2-3hrs for pay to play like Paragon in PA, and a new park may be opening in WVA ., or the FS roads/trails in the Georgetown National Forest, For a lot more drive you can get to Tellico. So if its close you are lucky.

What? Those things came with 304s which are the same as the 360(used the same crank as the 304 different bore and bigger valved head) What year again? Maybe they stopped the v-8s in the mid 80s I dont remember. I never had any problems with the springs, just the frames, axles and trans. My last Cj was a 79 with a 390 - 4.56s and 33s and I could crack the frame at will- right up at the front crossmember. That Corporate model 20 axle is something- nice big ring gear, but good luck keeping the hubs on. I had a 74 Cj 5 with the 360 that was a nice combo, except for the trans - couldnt keep gears in that T15- It had 32" Tru Tracs on it- anyone remember those tires? I should never have sold that one.

Clayton has both public and private land, but you have to buy a $25 a year licence to ride the public land. No biggie.
Cool that you are in MD, I moved here from Annapolis about a year ago. I lived there for 6 months, but lived in Northern VA for 4 years. I have a cabin down in Shenendoa near Front Royal up in the mountains (oh, and that's George Washington National forest) and my land backs right up to the G.W. National forest. Seeing that you are in MD, you need to get in touch with the Maryland Mud Bugs, they are a pretty good family club that has a place to play just south of Rte. 50. Their website is http://www.marylandmudbugs.com the president is a guy that goes by the name of Flat Fender Freak. They have rides out to PA some other place in NorthWest MD and down in the G.W. National forest.

Now, my Jeep. yeah I have a 360 in it, I got it out of an old wagoneer. It is the same block as the 304, and as a matter of fact it's the same block as the AMC 401 also. The last year that the factory put V-8's in them is 1980 I think. That is what my service manual says anyhow. As far as my Model 20 goes, I have the one piece axles in it, so I don't have to worry bout spinning a hub ever again. I welded my spider gears at the same time, now I don't have to worry bout traction either ;) :D .
I went through two trannies before I got my NP-435. I had a T-5 and I ripped the teeth off of several of the gears in it when I tried to pull out of a creek bed. I had my front tires holding on to the top of the bank and I just let loose on the stupid pedal. I pulled 26 OZ of metal out of the filler hole with a magnet. Not too shabby. Then I got a T-4 and I cracked it right in half. With the NP-435 I will never have to worry bout that kind of stuff again :D

Back