and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible!

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
haha! well im here to tell you THEY AREN'T!! went wheeling today during lunch and we were sittin on the side of the trail waitin on someone and a new Rubicon rolls up along with a lifted XJ and the proceed to FLY down the trail. we kinda just sat there and said OK so we begin on our way and then about 15 min later down the trail we see the XJ on the side of the trail but could nt see the Rubicon. when we got down the Rub it was STUCK front axle deep in good 'ole NC red clay. this was the funniest site i have seen in a while. to bad i forgot my freikin video camera. but i thought id give you a good laugh off this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably a case of "I have 4x4 and am thus invincible" syndrome.

I see it all the time down here in the rain, sucks when someone slides across 2 lanes on the highway cause they think 4x4 means they're on tracks.

the rubicon is an all around decent performer.... but when adding mud to a straight 6 engine and jeep drivetrain, high hp and torque is what you need... the jeep's power is adequate for regular situations, but nowhere near enough to fight clay.....

I also want to note that the *driver* of the 4x4 can make any 4x4 as good as any other. Well, not as good, but pretty damn good in its own respect. Chances are the guy was a newby trying to be a hardass. Of course, I could be wrong and maybe the Rubi really isn't worth the name it has :)

haha. the good old nc clay grabs yet another victim. that stuff's just plain NASTY!!!

Originally posted by jimabena74
the rubicon is an all around decent performer.... but when adding mud to a straight 6 engine and jeep drivetrain, high hp and torque is what you need... the jeep's power is adequate for regular situations, but nowhere near enough to fight clay.....

I would think the 4:1 transfer case would be more than enough to make up for the lack of torque. Of course the driver probably didn't have it in Low though.

Originally posted by Robert
I would think the 4:1 transfer case would be more than enough to make up for the lack of torque. Of course the driver probably didn't have it in Low though.

Probably. Even though the Rubicon comes with a lot of the nice bits already on it from the factory, you still need to know what you're doing.

oh man NC mud is MAD!

I havn't got stuck yet but my day will come.

Originally posted by TarHeel085
haha! well im here to tell you THEY AREN'T!! went wheeling today during lunch and we were sittin on the side of the trail waitin on someone and a new Rubicon rolls up along with a lifted XJ and the proceed to FLY down the trail. we kinda just sat there and said OK so we begin on our way and then about 15 min later down the trail we see the XJ on the side of the trail but could nt see the Rubicon. when we got down the Rub it was STUCK front axle deep in good 'ole NC red clay. this was the funniest site i have seen in a while. to bad i forgot my freikin video camera. but i thought id give you a good laugh off this one.

Um and would your truck have made it?

Sounds more like driver error/stupidity.... not the vehicle... It's a pretty good truck for wheelin off the lot.

Re: Re: and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible!

Originally posted by RFR2212

Sounds more like driver error/stupidity.... not the vehicle... It's a pretty good truck for wheelin off the lot.
no it wouldnt have, but i wasnt dumb enough to try it because i knew i couldnt make it!

Re: Re: and those J**pers thought Rubicons were invincible!

Originally posted by RFR2212

Yup, the easier it is to get a good trail rig, and the Rubicon is a great performer for a stock vehicle, the more brain-blond dorks we will find hitting the trails.

Another case of I bought a Rubicon, now I can go anywhere! I wouldnt be surprised if it was the first time that guy had been off road with his Jeep buddy. Wonder if they even aired down the tires?

Nothing wrong with a Rubicon, D44 front and rear with lockers? SOunds good to me! Nothing wrong with the straight six either! I would throw a Skyjacker rock ready kit on the Rubicon and call it a day.......of course I dont care if you are driving the Scorpion, if you dont know how to pick a line or know your vehicles limits, you are being ignorant and errogant.....

then again I got high centered my first time out and I was stuck for hours, so live and learn I suppose we all gotta learn somehow!

I hate to tell you, but the inline six is the best engine layout for building torque. Why do you think a 5.9L Cummins can deliver almost as much torque as a 7.3L Powerstroke? Inlines lack high RPM horsepower, not low RPM torque. But neither torque, horsepower nor gears and lockers can overcome a bad driver!

rubicon3.jpg

Is this the one?

Just because you get stuck doesn't mean you're a dumbass. What the hells the big deal? Have you ever gotten stuck before Tarheel? If I'm in some really deep sand or going through a nasty notch, I don't know for sure that I can just drive right on through like a little schoolgirl on her damn tricyle. Part of the fun of offroading to me is knowing my limits, but testing them out once in a while. If my buddy is right behind me ready to pull me out, I'll sure try a hell of a lot more stuff knowing I can get strapped out.

Also, I wouldn't mind having a JEEP rubicon either. Sure I love my explorer, but it would be a great second offroad vehicle

So did you help him out or what?

Rubicon is one of the best of the floor offroad vehicles available IMO. Invincable... NO, but a great vehicle as it sits and even better with a mild lift and tires. Takes a lot of money to get an Explorer into the same condition.

EVERYONE thinks their 4x is invincible at some point- usually right after purchase - the smart 4x owners are only invincible once :D

Im not one of the smart ones...

OH but this guy was an idiot, no i havent gotten stuck before because i havent tried to get stuck. The only time i have come close is when i got high centered but i rocked my self out. i know my limits and dont feel like pushing my luck and possibly breaking something that i dont have to. no i didnt help him because he was blocking the only way to the other side and the only way to get him out was from the back. no thats not the one it was maroon.

"Curtis "when in doubt to get it out give it gas"
Smittybilt Outland Sport with 2 Hella 500's, Hella Acryllic Covers, APC headlights, Bilsteins, painted red calipers, '98 4-dr leafs, Speed Grill, Clear Corners, Audiobahn 12" sub, RF Power 500.1, RF 4 gauge wire, Sony 760X HU Amp Rack Install Bugflector 2, 265/75/16 Uniroyal MT, TT/Shackles, Armor, K&N FIPK Gen II, Surco 40x50 Safari Rack with 4 Hella 500's, RaVin 55 series cat-back"

You know, it amazes me what some folks will do and say.....

I will put up ANY Wrangler to your Explorer, ANY DAY!!!!
I used to be an Explorer owner, it did great going up country roads. All that crap you have slapped on your explorer, you don't have a solid front axle, a 4:1 Xfer case, 4.10:1 LOCKING diffs, probably not even 31 inch M/T's, and I can tell you that inline 6 has MUCH more Torque than your engine, even if you have the 4.6 liter. WHy go off road if you are just gonna stay on the beaten path? What is the fun in not testing you skill? I'm built to the hilt and I still get strapped off rock or out of a slick spot that I tore it every once in a while.
You guys wanna talk your CHIT, get rid of yer PIAA's, chrome tow hooks, big speakers, bug deflectors and clear tail lights. Build it, don't buy it. Use the Explorer for what it was made for, getting groceries.
Oh, and by the way, I am not a Ford Hater. I use my Expedition to haul my CJ to and fro.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the Explorer for what it was made for, getting groceries.
You come join an Explorer site just to talk your "chit" whatever the hell that is. Don't come here and bag on our trucks. If you don't like them LEAVE. This isn't a site for you to defend you Heep.

Back