Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Now you tell me...

All, I was just informed by Ford Customer Services that a TSB will be released in 2 weeks time to fix this problem. I will let you know if I hear anything further.:thumbsup:

I just ordered 3 of these for my family on Amazon, free two day shipping with Amazon prime. Only $24.00

GasMask.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

zed512 said:
All,

I was just informed by Ford Customer Services that a TSB will be released in 2 weeks time to fix this problem.

I will let you know if I hear anything further.

:thumbsup:

if they fix this problem I WILL BUY A FORD EXPLORER. keep us posted

I just ordered 3 of these for my family on Amazon, free two day shipping with Amazon prime. Only $24.00

GasMask.jpg

HAHAHAHA :fart::roll:

All,

I was just informed by Ford Customer Services that a TSB will be released in 2 weeks time to fix this problem.

i have the same smell on my new explorer limited only has 125 miles on it. i smell it going down the ramp

All,

And the "check's in the mail" I'll continue to hold my breath on this one, but I won't believe it until I see it.......although hope springs eternal.......

Burnt Oil Smell upon Accelleration

I to have the same issue with my 2011 EX XLT. Took it to the dealer yesterday. They had no clue as to the cause. Is there a TSB on this at all?

I to have the same issue with my 2011 EX XLT. Took it to the dealer yesterday. They had no clue as to the cause. Is there a TSB on this at all?
Welcome to the Forum cb3.:wavey:
If you check back a few posts in this thread you'll find one by zed512 stating that Ford will be releasing a TSB on this shortly.
Good luck.

Peter

I hope so, as my dealer is saying there isn't anything that they can do. Sometimes when it's very heavy in the cabin I start to get light headed. I've let them know that, but still no fix. Hope it doesn't get so bad that it causes safety concerns.

same issue with our new explorer, there is a bad smell coming in the cabin after a needed hard acceleration. i am trying to search for solution and i ran into this thread and so i read all the pages in this thread. can't exactly determine the smell if is similar to burnt oil or exhaust fumes, i am kind of poor in specifying smells, but all i know is that it is an unwanted smell. i was already warned by my sales agent to avoid hard accelerations as bad smell will occur but he said it will be gone after 5,000kms (3,100mi). looking forward to the release of that TSB. i am just worried as my frequent passengers are my wife and 2year-old daughter, i don't want us breathing in the bad smell.

same issue with our new explorer, there is a bad smell coming in the cabin after a needed hard acceleration. i am trying to search for solution and i ran into this thread and so i read all the pages in this thread. can't exactly determine the smell if is similar to burnt oil or exhaust fumes, i am kind of poor in specifying smells, but all i know is that it is an unwanted smell. i was already warned by my sales agent to avoid hard accelerations as bad smell will occur but he said it will be gone after 5,000kms (3,100mi). looking forward to the release of that TSB. i am just worried as my frequent passengers are my wife and 2year-old daughter, i don't want us breathing in the bad smell.

Hello Dark Phoenix! Welcome to the Forum!

I commend that Sales Agent for warning you in advance about the SMELL in the cabin. Honest Sales Agents are hard to come by nowadays. I would heed the Sales Agent's call and limit hard accelerations. I type 'limit' because we all know that hard acceleration especially when passing is necessary.

As posted before, for me, the smell is like a combination of burnt oil and electrical. I'm not also good in identifying the type of smell but as long as it smells bad, then it is truly UNWANTED.

I'm searching for a better cabin air filter (one that is activated charcoal) in the meantime in hopes of to lessen the smell coming in.

I have it too

Well my new Limited with less than 500 miles and a strong sulfur smell when accelerating. Last week on the road with the kids and one of them threw up because of it.

No family road trips on the new car until there is a fix for this.

However new car smell is still there, by pure coincidence I had a beach towel on the back seat and all was contained in the towel.

J

Well my new Limited with less than 500 miles and a strong sulfur smell when accelerating. Last week on the road with the kids and one of them threw up because of it.

No family road trips on the new car until there is a fix for this.

However new car smell is still there, by pure coincidence I had a beach towel on the back seat and all was contained in the towel.

J
Until there is a fix you could try changing gasoline brands. All gasoline contains sulphur but some brands contain more than others.

Peter

Hello Dark Phoenix! Welcome to the Forum!

I commend that Sales Agent for warning you in advance about the SMELL in the cabin. Honest Sales Agents are hard to come by nowadays. I would heed the Sales Agent's call and limit hard accelerations. I type 'limit' because we all know that hard acceleration especially when passing is necessary.

As posted before, for me, the smell is like a combination of burnt oil and electrical. I'm not also good in identifying the type of smell but as long as it smells bad, then it is truly UNWANTED.

I'm searching for a better cabin air filter (one that is activated charcoal) in the meantime in hopes of to lessen the smell coming in.
One member who had a Ford technicial do a complete exam on his Explorer said that the fumes were being pulled in around the rear vents. Apparently the muffler design has 2 small holes on the top of it. If that is the case then a cabin air filter won't help.
I'm still curious why some owners have this issue while many others do not appear to have it.

Peter

Any news...???

One member who had a Ford technicial do a complete exam on his Explorer said that the fumes were being pulled in around the rear vents. Apparently the muffler design has 2 small holes on the top of it. If that is the case then a cabin air filter won't help.
I'm still curious why some owners have this issue while many others do not appear to have it.

Peter

Mine definitely comes in from the front air vents. I had someone drive my EX during the last 4 trips while I stuck my nose in front of the front air vents (yup, im that paranoid because I want to make sure my 4-month baby and wife won't be inhaling whatever it is that the EX is pulling in:fart:). Accelerating moderately to pass (3k-4kRPM), mild burnt scent. Accelerating heavily to pass (4K-5.5KRPM), heavy burnt scent. Again, the smell is a combination of burnt oil and electrical. But my colleague said it smelled like fuel that wasn't combusted properly.

Someone posted that a TSB would come out in 2 weeks time. Well?

Continuing to pray for good news! :dunno:

Waiting for customer services to get back to me.

yeah, the dealer said they still can't reproduce it so that's #2. I'm looking at the Texas lemon law as I'm about tired of having a POS. Thought that Ford was better than Dhaitsui, but I guess not. Trabi. Le Car. Ford.

I want to see this concern taken care of, guys. In case you haven’t already done so, please PM me your contact information via PM (including your full name, daytime phone number, dealer name/state, VIN, and mileage) so I can forward this up to your regional customer service managers.

Cory

Cory
Just so that you are aware, I know you can't do anything (but think you should be able to) Mine also emits "the smell". After taking my Explorer for the 1st oil change at 3K miles two weeks ago, I inquired about "the smell" and they have a notable number of complaints for "the smell" in that country...

No car that I have had in the past including: Ford (2, still have the 2003 Explorer), Chevrolet (1 piece of crap), Toyota (3 in total, 1 good, 1 almost good and 1 overrated and overpriced appliance), Honda (2, great cars still have one 09 Accord Coupe), Acura (1, still on the roster for playing at the track on weekends) BMW (1 lovely E30), VW (1, Rabbit) or Dodge (1 mighty 1500 RAM, possibly the best car I have owned) have had anything like this...

I am still loving my Ex though!

Fernando

Still waiting for customer services to get back to me!!! :(

I have a 2012 LTD with 3700 miles..Very strong exhaust smell under hard acceleration, strong coolant vapors from the vents with heat on, A pillar noise, and I still have not downgraded my junky MFT to the new stripped down software. I still reset it every few weeks so it will work. I am beginning to think this thing is a Lemon. This is my 3rd new 50K ford vehicle in 7 years, may be my last.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2012 LTD with 3700 miles..Very strong exhaust smell under hard acceleration, strong coolant vapors from the vents with heat on, A pillar noise, and I still have not downgraded my junky MFT to the new stripped down software. I still reset it every few weeks so it will work. I am beginning to think this thing is a Lemon. This is my 3rd new 50K ford vehicle in 7 years, may be my last.

Hi fordfan, I believe they have TSBs for for the strong coolant vapors as well as the A pillar noise. Lucky that you are in the US and the dealers will fix those problems ASAP as long as your unit under the TSB guidelines.

Back