PLAN B Build | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PLAN B Build

Some of you may know, and some may have suspected, but I'm starting a new project and it starts with a truck you all will recognize.

I picked up R.J.'s Navajo today. She is a little tired and was facing being parted out, but now will start a new chapter, a very different chapter. I give you Plan B.

(dead links)

So let's start off as to why "Plan B"? Well, it has multiple meanings.

• It starts off as I really wanted a early Bronco. I first learned to drive on Zukmans '71 Bronco he had years ago. But myself owning a early Bronco was not going to happen. There just way to ridiculous priced these days.:eek: So this is My Plan B.
  • JP is not going anywhere, I really just wanted to to do another build and JP is...well, JP!. It works, but it has a following and presence that really can't be changed....it's almost become, dare I say, an Icon of this forum. :jp: So this is My Plan B
  • The Navajo was on it's death bed. R.J. himself had already give it a time of death... :dead: So this is it's Plan B.....or maybe for it C...But for my plan, we'll say B :D
So what does the Plan B build look like? You'll have to watch and find out. But I'll give you some teasers..

• Starting Base : 1991 Mazda Navajo JX 4x4
  • SOHC - donor: 2000 Explorer Sport 4x2 103k
  • 5R55E - donor: 2008 Ranger FX4 45k
  • 1354 manual - still looking for
  • :sawzall: to smell the fresh air;)
  • Super Duty Axles - '99 F350 4x4 PSD
  • 40's - settling for 37's now
  • Grabber Blue
I think that should be enough to entice you all for now...

This is My Plan B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any way to make the scoop function?
That thing is gonna scoot with the sohc under the hood......
nice work on the bumper! What did you paint it with?

For moving heat out, yes. For Air intake? Probably not. I need the scoop space to close the hood. The center cover fits right in the scoop.

The paint is just rattle can Rust-Oleum. Wasn't going to money into a paint job for something that's going to get dented and scratched up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The bumper is looking good:chug:

I mean just to get some air flowing over the engine or heat out of the engine bay

I painted my rear Duff bumper with Rustoleum I will never do that again. I am not impressed! I am going back to Krylon or tractor enamel they seem to hold up the best. The rustoleum lasted a few weeks before it started to rust??? I prepped the bumper same as every other metal part I have painted... super dissapointed with that paint

You wont have that issue down there in CA, it is only because I drive my BII in the snow and up here they salt the road with salt and spray...

The salt sprays they put down on roads for snow will ruin most surfaces. I have an AL wheel I used for a spare just to have it match the rest, and it looked like hell after a few years. The clear coat was ruined by the salt spray.

I wonder, how might the vinyl paint products hold up for what you guys do? There are companies that sell liquid paints that dry to a substance just like any vinyl, it can be peeled off if needed. It's not intended for rough/sanded(dead paint) surfaces, they say it can be almost a permanent bond for that. I was going to try it on my 91 Lincoln's dead paint, but I would have wanted it off soon for proper painting. But it's eveidently common for use on any external parts, including wheels. I got a gallon for doing a set of bad wheels, it was about $50 on sale for a grey metallic. It comes in all imaginable colors, often on sale, and easy to remove from smooth surfaces. I wonder how it would do on bumpers and fenders etc? It can be sprayed on or brushed, I don't know any other details.

So with the front bumper on, I have been thinking about off road lights. RJ had some old classic 6" KC's on it, but I'm not really digging them. I have some 6x9's KC's that have been on many, many vehicles. Not feeling them either. An LED light bar, on the bumper is not going to work....

Then I remembered I bought some smaller LED lights on clearance at the off road show a few years ago, not knowing what I was going to do with them. Problem Solved:cool:

20200420_213634.jpg

they fit the mazda grill so well!!! Anyway to restore those old headlights? do they sell new ones? (for such a limited model, navajo)

how might the vinyl paint products hold up for what you guys do?

You mean like plasti dip? That stuff is awesome for what it is.... no good for covering metal bumpers though, it would peel off quickly

The tractor enamel spray paint seems holds up the best. The excursion, the FJ cruiser and the bronco all have metal off road bumpers, I also have f350 flatbed. All of these metal parts have moving parts (hinges) and are painted. They are all exposed to the weather, the road and the winter salts. The tractor enamel holds up far better then the other paints I have tried. Krylon for metal works well also, but my bet is it is an enamel paint. I tried the rustoleum stuff on my BII bumper because it claims to fight rust...............lasted weeks.

I think the ALSA brand of paint for emulating a vinyl covering is thicker than typical paint, but not thick like plasti-dip etc. I have the one unused gallon still planning to use on some old wheels, but it can be put on the front edge of a hood(mine is grey but it can be had in clear etc). I figured it should be tougher than rattle can paints. They have tons of different kinds of paint, they have one that is supposed to resist key scratching(very tough and a satin texture). I forgot about that version but they had so many the last I looked, I haven't browsed their website in a good nine months.

Here's a link to the paint I was thinking of before, there aren't many colors from what I remember, and the prices are all high. I've bought several things from them, but just the one one grey paint I wanted for wheels. I only bought things when they went on sale, which were often around 40% off or more. They sent lots of emails, I think I'm off of their list now, I get few now.

they fit the mazda grill so well!!! Anyway to restore those old headlights? do they sell new ones? (for such a limited model, navajo)

They haven't made replacements for years, if not decades. The only ones available are what's left in the wild. I have spares though. 3 sets of lights, side markers, 2-1/2 grills, a set of lower turning indicators (which I don't plan to use) and 5 or 6 sets of tail lights.

I know it's not a rotary, but...

😂

Daylight pics of the interior ! ! ! Want to see the Escape shifter in daylight. . . might be useful for a future 'Sport project. . .

Looks great,

Paul

Daylight pics of the interior ! ! ! Want to see the Escape shifter in daylight. . . might be useful for a future 'Sport project. . .

Looks great,

Paul
20200422_210050.jpg

hot dayum that sucker is huge!
This is ALOT like the setup in the BII
I used 96 Mustang shifter, I hacked all that plastic stuff away though, I didn't need the "stand" to hold the shifter up...the 96 stang and crown vic did not have such a tall shifter apparatus. I used some metal straps to support the shifter so it would be the correct height for my arm/armrest

Looking good :chug:

are they 6' apart??
no gathering!!!

Picked up Zukman's old rear bumper and made it fit. I'll build the tire carrier next. Going to do a swing down design I think.

20200503_170313.jpg

oh boy! I like that bumper
I love that flooding sign! You see I live on a river and this time of year when the snow pack is melting half of our property is water..I would LOVE to have that street sign!!!!!! Keep up the good work, we want to see the navajo running in 2020!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the lights bolted in...so sexy:cool:

20200509_023637.jpg

Oh .. working to make this part happen too...

20200503_173547.jpg

like the bumpers

Back