RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

If one were to order the FOAs what valving would be the best for our trucks?

What would you use it for and how hard would you use it?? Valving can be tricky and thier valving might be close to what you want but it wont be exact. But these shocks are super super easy to rebuild and revalve.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey everyone...just updating you all with good news.

i am back and looking to produce a few lift kits and definately a coilover conversion kit/ torsion bar elimination kit. Come check and vote for what kind of lift you want or need!!

Here is the Custom Lift Thread

I just want to say sorry to all here for not getting a write up done. Once I heard that RCD is discontinuing the lift kit, I decided to design my one. The torsion bar elimination kit will most like be available January 2010. I am working really hard to get per order production available as soon as August 2009.

Please be patient and it will come!

CMAX

Very good, it's good to hear that it will be kept going.

Just a little FYI for you RCD guys reading this...

this was July 7th...

Dead_RCD_Bilstein.jpg

Dead_RCD_Bilstein2.jpg

and that was an RCD bilstein coilover.

Ironically, back on July 6th I'd ordered the fox shox for this modification as my bilsteins had developed a very minute leak at the wipe seal. I sure as hell wasn't going to pay what RCD wanted, let alone the fact that I'd have to get the 600 lbs coils, particularly since I was already running 700# hypercoils on my bilsteins.

The awesome part is that I ordered the fox 2.0x6.5 emulsion coilovers and stupid 4WheelParts ordered the 2.0x6.5 remote reservoir coilover.

The down side, and I'm assuming it's because of the difference between the RCD and superlift drop brackets, is that the new design fox implimented versus the old blue design (had a similar spring perch like the bilstein unit) has resulted in my spring rubbing on my new cv's outer boot on both passenger and driver side. This is due to the short length of the lower eyelet mount. Fox makes a longer eyelet (I'll have to find the part number), which I'm hoping will resolve this issue. I'll know more next week as I just sent out my fox coilovers to Off-Road Warehouse so they could put longer remote res hoses on and change out the lower eyelets.

Sadly, I too am annoyed that RCD discontinued this kit and is not warrantying the parts. This has me a little worried should any other hardware for the kit fail. As such, my plan is once I'm no longer jobless and can afford it, the RCD kit is coming off and the Dixon Bros LT kit is going on. Given they race rangers I have a feeling their kit may not be going anywhere. I'm still mulling over this decision too, as I'm not certain if it's the wisest but I know their LT kit is more than capable of doing mild rock crawling. My whole reason for the RCD kit was to get rid of the torsion bars and have a basic, general purpose expedition off-road vehicle - similar along the lines of what the guy at http://www.expeditionswest.com/ does with his tacoma.

How would one fit bumpstops with superlift bracketry please?

The factory bumpstop location is now in the trash to clear the coil springs.

i hate to bring this back from the dead but has anyone done this to a Stock Sport trac? i just have a TT right now and would keep it the same?

Just a little FYI for you RCD guys reading this...

this was July 7th...

Dead_RCD_Bilstein.jpg

Dead_RCD_Bilstein2.jpg

and that was an RCD bilstein coilover.

Ironically, back on July 6th I'd ordered the fox shox for this modification as my bilsteins had developed a very minute leak at the wipe seal. I sure as hell wasn't going to pay what RCD wanted, let alone the fact that I'd have to get the 600 lbs coils, particularly since I was already running 700# hypercoils on my bilsteins.

The awesome part is that I ordered the fox 2.0x6.5 emulsion coilovers and stupid 4WheelParts ordered the 2.0x6.5 remote reservoir coilover.

The down side, and I'm assuming it's because of the difference between the RCD and superlift drop brackets, is that the new design fox implimented versus the old blue design (had a similar spring perch like the bilstein unit) has resulted in my spring rubbing on my new cv's outer boot on both passenger and driver side. This is due to the short length of the lower eyelet mount. Fox makes a longer eyelet (I'll have to find the part number), which I'm hoping will resolve this issue. I'll know more next week as I just sent out my fox coilovers to Off-Road Warehouse so they could put longer remote res hoses on and change out the lower eyelets.

Sadly, I too am annoyed that RCD discontinued this kit and is not warrantying the parts. This has me a little worried should any other hardware for the kit fail. As such, my plan is once I'm no longer jobless and can afford it, the RCD kit is coming off and the Dixon Bros LT kit is going on. Given they race rangers I have a feeling their kit may not be going anywhere. I'm still mulling over this decision too, as I'm not certain if it's the wisest but I know their LT kit is more than capable of doing mild rock crawling. My whole reason for the RCD kit was to get rid of the torsion bars and have a basic, general purpose expedition off-road vehicle - similar along the lines of what the guy at http://www.expeditionswest.com/ does with his tacoma.

Great info man. I will use accomidate these issues in the lift kit and potentially a RCD Bracket replacement kit. I have noticed this is an issue and planed on making the lower braket taller to clear the CV boot/shaft. When you get the fox c/o's installed post some pics.

Thanks,

CMAX

How did the coilover shaft break?? Is it a 5/8" shaft??

CMAX

for the guys wanting to do coilover conversions, it gets no better then this.

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108402

good price, and good company to buy from.

Thats the RCD brackets exactly. I know that the RCD kit is no longer available from RCD but looks like ORW has a few ranger 2wd kits. Cheep too!!

The coilover conversion kit I am puting together is strickly bolt on!!!
I can tell you that my kit will not involve any frame modification and welding additional supports. It may require additional selftapping bolts to the frame but thats it. Plus I had problems with these brackets, they will work dont get me wrong but they just do not hold up that great. However, in the following pics they look a more heavy duty.

RangerCOkit.JPG

rangerCOremote.JPG

DSC_1804.jpg

DSC_1805.jpg

I would recommend looking at the following, since the coilover conversion, IFS kit, and SAS kit I am design will incompass all the same brackets making upgrading simple and cheep. Lastly, this kit is only for 0-2" lifts most explorer guys have the superlift front drop kit. Check out my custom lifts thread below. Comments, suggestions are welcome.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=240549

CMAX

Anyway to order it off the website?

I cant find the actual kit and don't feel like signing up at Desert rangers.

Id give them a call, i couldnt find it on thier website either.

I am seriously giving some thought to the ORW setup. What about bump stops though?

I am seriously giving some thought to the ORW setup. What about bump stops though?

This is what I mean. You cut your stock bump stops out to give the coilover shock clearence. You can always count on coil bind which will act as a hard stop. Probably not good for for the coilovers. It happens more than you would think during serious offroading. I experience a hard bind at 30-40 mph. My approach to a upcoming dune was way to fast, ending up coil binding. Jumped out afterword looked under neath and wow. It held up!! The year before that I did the same thing with the stock superlift, bad news after that one. Hense my reaction with my coilover setup. I bent the superlift bumpstops and bend the shocks a good bit. This was the reason I went with the coilover conversion. I am still not totally satisfied with the RCD kit brackets. Plan on welding in the support braces too.

Bent Bump Stop Welded Support Braces
Chris's truck 10-7-07 048.JPG
Chris's truck 10-7-07 054.JPG

I would also like to point out that this kit doesnt include limit straps. I am not sure if they are needed with 0-2" lift but you definately do not want your new coilovers or balljoints binding and taking the preload of the coil spring when suspended in air. I definately needed limit straps with my superlift. Had a CV pop out of the boot because of access travel.

Limit Straps
DSCF0192.JPG
DSCF0193.JPG

Lastly, I signed up for the desertracers to see if the kit was still available. I could not find it on the ORW website either.

CMAX

Well I am definitely planning on limit straps, thats a given. I can probably get some bumps fabricated, I was wondering what others were doing. Hopefully everyone isn't running without them. For the street and mild use you can get away without them, but I would be afraid to push to hard without anything to dampen the impact before the coils are collapsed and binding.

i will have a bumpstop figured out as soon as i get back to my own boat shop, than i will post it in my registry,

i ran the good ol stock bumps for quite awhile with past setups. believe it or not they are the best option other then going to a full hydro bump. the crappy poly ones will only last one trip out of your using it, i went through 5 different styles/sets before i just went to hydro bumps.

edit...i didnt realize the stock mount had to be cut off...

coil bind is out of the question, it destroys things fast ,like mounts, and shock shafts,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For carlover, the stock ones only have to be cut if you are running a superlift with coilover conversion, rcd has it's own stops, ,

Back